Nontrad applicant chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldreamer78910

Reaction score
Hello. It's been three years since I graduated from my undergrad university. I graduated with a 2.94 overall gpa and 2.0 science gpa. During college my mother was diagnosed with cancer and my father simultaneously lost his job. Along with these stressors and immature study habits, I just didn't place importance on school work. Since graduating, I have taken some post-bacc classes informally at a cc near my house. Made all A's in them. Then, I joined a one year masters program to gain a degree in biomedical sciences. I received a 4.0 in the program. I have taken my DAT and got a 22TS/22AA/21PAT. It is my dream to go to dental school. Do I have any chance with my horrendous undergrad science gpa? I calculated my science gpa with the post bacc classes I took and the master's classes and it only goes up to 2.8. I also have experience being a dental assistant, tons of shadow hours, about 100 volunteer hours, and a years worth of research experience from undergrad. I don't know what else to do.

Members don't see this ad.

your masters gpa is a separate graduate gpa
and you have good dat scores
if you have good LOR and PS and apply wisely and broadly, you may get interviews/acceptances

Sorry for the events you went through, I can't imagine how difficult those situations must have been.
I honestly think you have a good chance. You have a great DAT score, seems like you have solid EC and you have shown an impressive upward trend. I would def encourage you to apply. Explain your experiences in your personal statements without making excuses. Show how these experiences have shaped you and be authentic in your interviews. You will do great. Best of luck to you Hopefuldreamer78910!

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep taking classes, I had 3.0 undergrad(with C's D's and F's) 3.89 masters and 23AA DAT, totally doable. Practice like hell before interviews, especially several mock interviews.

Hello. It's been three years since I graduated from my undergrad university. I graduated with a 2.94 overall gpa and 2.0 science gpa. During college my mother was diagnosed with cancer and my father simultaneously lost his job. Along with these stressors and immature study habits, I just didn't place importance on school work. Since graduating, I have taken some post-bacc classes informally at a cc near my house. Made all A's in them. Then, I joined a one year masters program to gain a degree in biomedical sciences. I received a 4.0 in the program. I have taken my DAT and got a 22TS/22AA/21PAT. It is my dream to go to dental school. Do I have any chance with my horrendous undergrad science gpa? I calculated my science gpa with the post bacc classes I took and the master's classes and it only goes up to 2.8. I also have experience being a dental assistant, tons of shadow hours, about 100 volunteer hours, and a years worth of research experience from undergrad. I don't know what else to do.
First of all, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Looks like you bounced back really well and did pretty good in the post-bac and masters.

You should get in somewhere if you apply strategically to the right schools. With your GPA (masters) and DAT, you should be able to apply to a good number of school.

Besides that make sure to write a great personal statement and secondary applications. They will set you apart in the admissions process.

Although I have been well known in previous posts to state categorically that no one on SDN has thus far identified themselves as a member of any D school admissions committee, (therefore all advice is suspect), I take particular offense to vendors trolling on these sites preying on the fears and insecurities of applicants. Without verifiable evidence, the success rates of these unregulated "companies" are simply conjecture. All of the services provided are surely available at undergrad colleges and universities if they are sought out. The high price tags for advice from dental students or newly minted dentists, IMHO seems out of line. The Dean of Admissions from your own school might have more advice (free) and the English or Business Department might be able to help you with your PS (free) and CV. Think things through before taking the seemingly easy, and expensive way.

Reactions: 1 user