NonTrad Applicant Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenshu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could pick your brains on a dilemma I'm having. As I understand it, it is recommended that you have 2 science professors and 1 humanities professor write a total of 3 recommendation letters.

The problem is that I'm a non-traditional applicant and it's been ~3 years since I've spoken to any of these professors. However, I have been working in an ER in the meantime and know of about 5-6 docs both MD and DO who would be willing to write me letters.

I'm planning to apply to both osteo and allopathic schools this summer 2017. Currently finishing up prereqs in Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry in the next couple semesters. I suppose I could ask these two professors for rec letters.

However, bottom line, I believe that the docs I know would absolutely know me much better and write better rec letters. Would it be unacceptable to have 2 docs and 1 science professor, or 1 doc and 2 science professors? Are there restrictions on this by AMCAS or AACOMAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation. I took organic Chem 2 and public speaking last semester. I made A's in both courses and both instructors were more than willing to write letters of recommendation for me. They both asked that I email them info about myself, my background, resume, and accomplishments... etc. Both instructor wrote great letters for me, and I am so thankful! Point being... professors are used to writing letters of recommendation, and can still write a great letter after only knowing you for a few months. Participating in class, and talking to your professors before or after class also helps them get to know you. Shadow one of the physicians that you work with as a pre-med instead of as an employee, and also ask them for a letter of recommendation.
It is my understanding that schools really want to see letters from professors though.

LORs from 2 science prof, 1 doc would be a better combo than 2 docs, and 1 prof.

You can always check with the different schools to see if you can substitute a different letter for the non-science prof LOR.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using SDN mobile

It depends on the school. Some are very firm about their letter requirements, some are not. Also, some schools require different letters- I ended up collecting 7 letters to satisfy all the different schools' requirements.

3 years isn't that long ago, but asking for letters from more recent profs is better.

Bottom line, like most questions about applications, it depends on the schools you are applying to and you should contact them to find out if there is any flexibility.

I'd prioritize: employer/current professors > volunteer references > older professor >> MD letter. A DO letter is basically required for DO schools.

As a nontrad you have some leeway at some schools with regard to letters, but others will not budge from their requirements. Also, the focus is to emphasize the positives while still fitting the mold (in my mind). If your manager is an MD, that's one thing, but if your letter would be from someone you work around (not for), I think it has less weight. For example, I can say a lot of positive things about people I don't really know at work (but interact with/rely on a few times a week), but it's shallow knowledge in my mind. A supervisor who has known you for 3 years would likely have a more experience to work from, especially compared to many undergraduates who don't have that experience.