Nontrad DIY postbac looking for night classes specifically

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanavucuvudu

Reaction score
I am a non-US citizen with an undergrad from a non-US institution and an MA in Clinical Psychology from a US institution. Due to financial restrictions I can't apply to official postbac programs, so I will be starting to take classes and create a DIY postbac. My problem is I have to work full time in a research position while I am taking classes. I know some postbac programs are specifically suited for people like me, but most of them don't even consider international applicants. I am currently applying to jobs, however what is really important for me is to find an institution that offers basic science NIGHT classes, for as I said I have to work full time while taking classes. I am currently trying to figure out which institutions offer night/weekend basic science classes, so that I can specifically apply to research positions at those institutions. I was wondering, those who have taken night (or maybe weekend) classes for your DIY postbac, which institutions you have completed these classes at?

Members don't see this ad.

University of Maryland has a Science in the Evening program that lets you take classes at your own pace at night. Community colleges in the DC area also offer lots of night and weekend options if you were to end up at a school in the area. Harvard extension has a program that offers evening courses as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Extension programs commonly offer night classes. Look into Harvard extension, UCLA extension, UC extension, Etc. I know for Harvard’s program they offered tuition reimbursement if you worked for one of their affiliates.

Drexel PA
NorthWestern Chicago
has night classes with UG Classes

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Drexel University College of Medicine
Fordham University, Fordham School of Professional and Continuing Studies
Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Lipscomb University
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Providence College

This list is from the Postbaccalaureate Programs website . I have scoured that site to find one for me. Let me know if you need more details

University of Maryland has a Science in the Evening program that lets you take classes at your own pace at night. Community colleges in the DC area also offer lots of night and weekend options if you were to end up at a school in the area. Harvard extension has a program that offers evening courses as well.

Thanks a lot, I remember checking Harvard extension program but unfortunately they don't accept internationals, yet I am currently applying to jobs at Harvard knowing that at least there is a possibility of taking classes and they also offer tuition remission for employees after a while.

Extension programs commonly offer night classes. Look into Harvard extension, UCLA extension, UC extension, Etc. I know for Harvard’s program they offered tuition reimbursement if you worked for one of their affiliates.
Yeah UC extension schools and Maryland SIE was the two programs I was able to find reading the forum, but wanted to increase my chances since for me it literally ALL depends on finding a job first. I am aware of Harvard but they don't accept internationals to the program and I have learn about whether as an international I can at least take classes towards non-degree.

Drexel PA
NorthWestern Chicago
has night classes with UG Classes

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Drexel University College of Medicine
Fordham University, Fordham School of Professional and Continuing Studies
Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
Lipscomb University
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Providence College

This list is from the Postbaccalaureate Programs website . I have scoured that site to find one for me. Let me know if you need more details
Thanks a lot for the list, so I initially started going through the list as well to see which institutions offer evening/weekend classes however very few of them specify that, maybe I should email the program and ask about it? And for 1 year accelerated ones I can guess that all the classes will be during the day, and I guess those who specify that the classes will be taken with undergrads, I should assume that it will probably be during the day, right? But at least now I learned that extension programs are more likely to have evening classes. As for the list, I have been living in New York for 3 years already and I really don't want to stay in a big expensive city that stresses me out all the time where I unfortunately ended up having terrible memories, but I guess I will try my chances with Sinai and Fordham as well. Honestly yes I would be happy to hear as much details and also about the program you chose.

I checked Maryland SIE but I couldn't find and information about their success rate and acceptance statistics. There is a post specifically asking about it that I am following in the forum but it seems like DC might be a good place to look at overall, thanks !

City College of New York
I checked city college so many times, I literally live across the street it would be amazing if it worked out, I am also an adjunct lecturer at CUNY, but the problem is I can't afford the tuition so I need to match the school I work at with the school I take classes from (or alternatively some schools offer tuition reimbursements for employees even if you take them from a different institution) however CUNY wants employees to work for years before they can offer 4 credits per semester for free, so that is not an option for me.

Arrrgh! That is too bad. I did it all with loans, but I totally understand if you don't want to take on debt.

Thanks a lot, I remember checking Harvard extension program but unfortunately they don't accept internationals, yet I am currently applying to jobs at Harvard knowing that at least there is a possibility of taking classes and they also offer tuition remission for employees after a while.

As an aside, most folks in the Harvard premed classes are not actually in the Pre-medical program. They simply take the classes they need, ask for letters of rec, and move on. Of the 5 people I studied with in most of my classes, only one other person was in the program.

Arrrgh! That is too bad. I did it all with loans, but I totally understand if you don't want to take on debt.
Again, I wish I could, as a non-US citizen can't get federal loans, as an international with no sponsors in the US, can't even apply for private loans either. That's why my only chance is to work full time and use employee tuition remission programs at the same time, unless of course I get a citizenship which will only happen through marriage, so not at all an option currently either.

As an aside, most folks in the Harvard premed classes are not actually in the Pre-medical program. They simply take the classes they need, ask for letters of rec, and move on. Of the 5 people I studied with in most of my classes, only one other person was in the program.
Awesome, this is great to hear, so I will try my best for finding a job at Harvard, if only times weren't so bad in terms of the job market. And other than that I will contact programs separately to ask whether I can take classes without being officially part of the postbacc programs. It sucks that the extension programs accept internationals due to visa reasons. Anyway, thanks!!

Thanks a lot for the list, so I initially started going through the list as well to see which institutions offer evening/weekend classes however very few of them specify that, maybe I should email the program and ask about it? And for 1 year accelerated ones I can guess that all the classes will be during the day, and I guess those who specify that the classes will be taken with undergrads, I should assume that it will probably be during the day, right? But at least now I learned that extension programs are more likely to have evening classes. As for the list, I have been living in New York for 3 years already and I really don't want to stay in a big expensive city that stresses me out all the time where I unfortunately ended up having terrible memories, but I guess I will try my chances with Sinai and Fordham as well. Honestly yes I would be happy to hear as much details and also about the program you chose.

And for 1 year accelerated ones I can guess that all the classes will be during the day, and I guess those who specify that the classes will be taken with undergrads, - Not fully , northwestern is fully evening and so is Drexel

From what I read in this forum , unless you get into the top postbacc like Bryn , Goucher etc it does not matter where we do it . As an international student , there are lot of other hurdles limitations as well . For eg. some colleges wont allow to join as part time etc .

I am applying for next summer have the following NW, chicago , Jefferson , Drexel and Meredith . Will see how this year goes . I am planning to take some started courses in a community college to get back into the groove of studying . Am an older non trad and it has been many years out of college .

And for 1 year accelerated ones I can guess that all the classes will be during the day, and I guess those who specify that the classes will be taken with undergrads, - Not fully , northwestern is fully evening and so is Drexel

From what I read in this forum , unless you get into the top postbacc like Bryn , Goucher etc it does not matter where we do it . As an international student , there are lot of other hurdles limitations as well . For eg. some colleges wont allow to join as part time etc .

I am applying for next summer have the following NW, chicago , Jefferson , Drexel and Meredith . Will see how this year goes . I am planning to take some started courses in a community college to get back into the groove of studying . Am an older non trad and it has been many years out of college .

After spending days reading through the websites of all the programs listed under AAMC's website, I am nervously laughing at the fact that as a non-US citizen I won't be able to officially enroll in any programs anyway (except UCLA extension and Elms College). So my non-US science courses are considered useless but also I don't have the possibility of completing them in a post-bacc here :D
Most programs don't even consider my application even if I have a valid student visa, only NW and Shoreline Community College considers international applicants with a student visa. So it seems like I'm gonna try to take classes as a non-matriculated student and finish them on my own, which is okay, but I wanted to enroll in a postbacc mainly because they provide advising which is something I really really desperately need, but welp.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and good luck with your applications!!!

Last edited:
I am a non-US citizen with an undergrad from a non-US institution and an MA in Clinical Psychology from a US institution. Due to financial restrictions I can't apply to official postbac programs, so I will be starting to take classes and create a DIY postbac. My problem is I have to work full time in a research position while I am taking classes. I know some postbac programs are specifically suited for people like me, but most of them don't even consider international applicants. I am currently applying to jobs, however what is really important for me is to find an institution that offers basic science NIGHT classes, for as I said I have to work full time while taking classes. I am currently trying to figure out which institutions offer night/weekend basic science classes, so that I can specifically apply to research positions at those institutions. I was wondering, those who have taken night (or maybe weekend) classes for your DIY postbac, which institutions you have completed these classes at?
Hello! I am in a similar situiation. Can you share an update?