NonTrad-Friendly Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAMS

in the scheme of things
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder what schools look for non-traditional students to fill their ranks. In my experience, some are more friendly than others. It seems that Georgetown, UPenn, maybe Dartmouth, ...

I think this is an important question to consider, especially for those of us who don't want to be in classes with immature egoist 21 and 22 year olds.

Does anyone know of other med schools that seek our kind?

Members don't see this ad.

ingamina said:
I wonder what schools look for non-traditional students to fill their ranks. In my experience, some are more friendly than others. It seems that Georgetown, UPenn, maybe Dartmouth, ...

I think this is an important question to consider, especially for those of us who don't want to be in classes with immature egoist 21 and 22 year olds.

Hi there,
There are no medical schools that do not take non-traditional students. If you have the grades, you can't be discriminated against just because of your age.

I hate to tell you this, but there are no medical schools that do not accept traditional students (in far greater numbers than non-traditional students.) Our traditional classmates on average tend to outscore and out perform us non-trads. It is just the facts so you have to be able to deal with that. You also have to be willing to sit in class with, take orders from and be supervised by traditional medical school graduates or you probably are not going to do very well in any medical school.

Medical schools want the best students that they can find that show promise (by undergraduate grades, MCAT scores and other application info) that they can do well with a challenging medical school curriculum. There are no schools that are going to "seek" you but rather, you apply for admission i.e. you are "seeking" them.

Some schools may have a higher percentage of non-traditional students but numbers vary from year to year and you might hit the year where those numbers start to drop. Apply to the schools that interest you by philosophy, location and curriculum. Age is just a number and non-traditional students do not have a "lock" on maturity. I found my traditional classmates quite mature and quite professional.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

Reactions: 2 users
njbmd said it very well. No schools are going to seek you and, but schools won't overlook you. I'm in the interview process right now. I've found that my non-trad experience (Peace Corps and research) have been very helpful to that process. So while njbmd is correct about the getting out-scored (in-general), that extra experience you've got can be a real plus in interviews (I've had 4 interviews, turned 2 interviews down, gotten 2 waitlists and 2 acceptances so far).

Apply to schools that interest you and will fit you best.

I've also noticed how mature and nice the "trad" interviewees I tour with are. A nice group of folks. I'm Looking forward to it.

Good Luck

P.S. From your signature, you're into T. Jefferson. Ya know T.J. founded UVA. I'm assuming njbmd goes there (and they're non-trad), I' got accepted there (and I'm non-trad), It's a beautiful place. Don't overlook it in your search

Members don't see this ad :)
ingamina said:

I graduated from KCOM & I am confident that have to be one of the most open to nontrads of any schol out there. However, my class was still predominantly trad-aged students. Furthermore, being a nontrad will not cause schools to recruit you. Nor will all that awesome life & professional experience make for inadequacies in your application. But, if your app mets a program's expectation, then all of those same experiences can be a huge feather in your hat. Same rule applies to trad applicants & extracurricular activities - they will not make up for deficiencies in your app, but with a competitive app - they will serve you well.

Drop by he website of The National Society for Nontraditional Premedical & Medical Students, Inc. (OldPreMeds) & learn much more about succeeding as a nontraditional applicant to medical school.

Miami usually takes a pretty high percentage of older students. I got in this year and I'm currently 34. I shadowed a doc who graduated from there as well and she said that her class had about 1/3 nontrads in it.

Average age at DO schools is 27. I think thats statistically significant.
I think they eye us older students out.
I felt the same way, 32, did Bio 1 with 18 yr olds and I was a little uncomfortable (although they were very nice and tried to make me feel welcome) I was goin out of my freakin mind. So, when my Advisor talked to me about DO school, the avg age did beckon my interest.

Check out one whereever you live, I think you'll find your answer.

jim
LECOM class of 2009 :luck:

ingamina said:

He he. Wait till residency! Your supervising residents will be younger too.

My faculty interviewer at Pitt specifically told me they like people who have done something other than the traditional pre-med route.

A dozen years later, anyone have any input on this?
No change. For most people, the most friendly school to them is going to be their state school. Though if SF is San Fran, that may not be true for you, unfortunately. :-/

Reactions: 2 users
Yup, I live in San Francisco :(
I'd love to go to UCSF. I hear they are friendly to non-trads, but unfortunately it's just one of the most competitive places ever

Search for posts by @Goro and "schools that reward reinvention". He's posted similar lists multiple times of schools that are willing to overlook young&dumb you in favor of new&improved you. Those MD schools and the majority of DO schools also tend to have a higher proportion of non-trads.

Reactions: 1 user
MSAR also yields some clues about this. In looking at Matriculant Demographics, look for schools that have higher than avg numbers of students who have graduate degrees or have some post-bacc coursework. Dartmouth and NYMC are among two of these.

Search for posts by @Goro and "schools that reward reinvention". He's posted similar lists multiple times of schools that are willing to overlook young&dumb you in favor of new&improved you. Those MD schools and the majority of DO schools also tend to have a higher proportion of non-trads.

Reactions: 1 user
To second what gonnif said, as a 30-year-old applicant, I was accepted to multiple schools - including some that had "reps" on SDN for "not liking" nontrads. I ultimately attended a school on full scholarship that is not on his list.

My general advice is that you should focus your efforts on schools that prefer residents of your state; schools whose missions match your career goals (ex. primary care, research, etc); and schools where your stats are in line with their averages. The importance of a strong academic record should be taken seriously by all applicants, including nontrads. Two of the biggest issues for many nontrads are overcoming prior poor college grades, and scoring more than a SD below average on the MCAT. Subpar academic performance puts these nontrads at a disadvantage compared to other applicants (both trads and nontrads) with better academic credentials. However, there is no doubt that a highly qualified nontrad with better than average stats will be very much sought out by medical schools. And even attaining "average" stats can give nontrad applicants a chance to shine with superior ECs.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, I live in San Francisco :(
I'd love to go to UCSF. I hear they are friendly to non-trads, but unfortunately it's just one of the most competitive places ever
OMG i got in. and somehow found this posting a year later. someone just liked another post of mine in this thread.
<3<3<3<3

Reactions: 1 users