Most Non-trad/Mil friendly schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

47Pilot

Reaction score
Haven’t seen a thread like this in a few years. Most non-trad friendly and most Mil friendly schools? USUHS is the goal but what are some other schools friendly to non-trad/Mil.

Background: Currently an Army aviator with an engineering background in the process of finishing prereqs to apply.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven’t seen a thread like this in a few years. Most non-trad friendly and most Mil friendly schools? USUHS is the goal but what are some other schools friendly to non-trad/Mil.

Background: Currently an Army aviator with an engineering background in the process of finishing prereqs to apply.

Thanks!!
Are your initials PF and you came out of West Point 4 years ago? If yes, than we might know each other. LOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are your initials PF and you came out of West Point 4 years ago? If yes, than we might know each other. LOL.

They aren’t! Came out of USMA 3 years ago though so it seems like me and PF are in a similar scenario lol

Thanks!!
Take a look at the 2 Texas schools Long (joint base San Antonio and lots of military & veterans in the city) and Texas A & M which states part of their mission as military medicine

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!!
ETSU gave me an interview invite within five days of being complete! Some other schools I have interviewed at that seemed to really value veterans/military and had veterans as faculty members during interview day include UVM, OHSU, Boonshoft (Director of Admissions is a vet himself), and MCW. If you aren't opposed to D.O., schools like NYIT love vets (two Physicians to the President who were former Officers came from here), LECOM has over 60 vets currently enrolled, and ACOM also had veterans among their faculty on my interview day. Also, NYITCOM & UIWSOM are fully funded yellow ribbon schools, so as long as you have G.I Bill benefits, you won't pay anything.

Many health professions programs really value military or veteran applicants. Check the domicile policies at each university and you may find an exemption for military or veteran applicants including spouses and children.

Take a look at the 2 Texas schools Long (joint base San Antonio and lots of military & veterans in the city) and Texas A & M which states part of their mission as military medicine
I can second these schools as a Texas former applicant/current med student. In my experience, the Texas schools in general looked very favorably at my military service.

For schools outside of Texas, ETSU is extremely military friendly. I would also recommend that you submit an app to Brown and Dartmouth. Brown especially likes military, when I interviewed with them I was told they had 7 veterans in their class of 2025.

I have heard that Mayo loves military/veterans. I would highly recommend submitting an app to Mayo.

DO schools tend to love life experience in general, so you will probably have a lot of luck at DO schools.

The MSAR provides statistics on how many military affiliated students make up the entering class of each school. If you haven’t invested in a subscription to the MSAR, I highly recommend you do so.

I can second these schools as a Texas former applicant/current med student. In my experience, the Texas schools in general looked very favorably at my military service.

For schools outside of Texas, ETSU is extremely military friendly. I would also recommend that you submit an app to Brown and Dartmouth. Brown especially likes military, when I interviewed with them I was told they had 7 veterans in their class of 2025.

I have heard that Mayo loves military/veterans. I would highly recommend submitting an app to Mayo.

DO schools tend to love life experience in general, so you will probably have a lot of luck at DO schools.

The MSAR provides statistics on how many military affiliated students make up the entering class of each school. If you haven’t invested in a subscription to the MSAR, I highly recommend you do so.

Did you feel like your military experienced helped you significantly? I’m not in the medical field sadly but do serve in a unique role with a hefty mix of leadership and competency. Any idea if Texas has a domicile policy allowing out of staters get residency?

Did you feel like your military experienced helped you significantly? I’m not in the medical field sadly but do serve in a unique role with a hefty mix of leadership and competency. Any idea if Texas has a domicile policy allowing out of staters get residency?
I feel like it did help a lot because almost every interviewer mentioned it in a favorable way, I received interviews to places I felt were out of my league, and I had an insane amount of love from Texas schools; although I’ll never know what was discussed at the ADCOM meeting. And in full transparency, my AMCAS cycle last year didn’t end as well as the TMDSAS cycle, but, I think this may be due to the “Texas resident bias”.

Regardless of career field, I feel like military service will be looked at highly.

No idea about the domicile question, @wysdoc seems to be the expert around here on TMDSAS questions. My gut says no, as I had to send TMDSAS a copy of my TX license, voting card, and 12 months of LESs showing TX as my state of legal residence.

@47Pilot I sent you a PM

Personal experience friendly schools: ETSU, EVMS. Icahn has program that may be appropriate for you. You apply without the MCAT and don't have to have all your prereqs done. Heard following also mil friendly but didn't apply: UNLV, UNC, UWV. Also checkout Service2School, mentoring from vets on how to get in to undergrad all the way to professional schools. Maybe could help yourself but also some of your junior enlisted guys too.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you have another three years to complete aviation branch commitment? Based on recent past experience, USMA/ w/ eng major (not systems) and the GPA that makes you suffer - stay in range of MCAT and apply across a wide spectrum, especially in geographical area you are from. Friendly schools included GW, Minn., SUNY, PSU, Quillan, Geisinger, WVU, KS, etc. Look at schools that waive secondary fee for military. If you have the grades (guessing you do if you branched aviation, shoot higher). The ivies seem to hold their spots for direct academy admits but if you have grades w/ scores in range, go for it. Military exp. will help, especially if deployed.

Do you have another three years to complete aviation branch commitment? Based on recent past experience, USMA/ w/ eng major (not systems) and the GPA that makes you suffer - stay in range of MCAT and apply across a wide spectrum, especially in geographical area you are from. Friendly schools included GW, Minn., SUNY, PSU, Quillan, Geisinger, WVU, KS, etc. Look at schools that waive secondary fee for military. If you have the grades (guessing you do if you branched aviation, shoot higher). The ivies seem to hold their spots for direct academy admits but if you have grades w/ scores in range, go for it. Military exp. will help, especially if deployed.

Seems like I’m in a similar boat, just a year or two behind. Any tips on how you knocked out the remaining pre-reqs you had? I’m stationed OCONUS so I’ve got minimal options other than online since the colleges on post are just basic or cultural courses. I’d knock them out online but it seems like there’s a super negative stigma against that.