Nontrad student needs advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgsgsdfgsdg

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hold a B.B.A in Accounting from FIU graduated one semester later(due to financial reasons) at around 23 with a 3.65 gpa. I have worked as an accountant for about 6 months and was going to start a masters in taxation online so i could sit for the CPA. But the salary just isn't that great. I want more money and I want to also do research in my spare time as I have grown tired of TV etc etc. I would like to know how to get into med schools ( pre-reqs how to prepare for the mcat the application cycle etc).

Thanks! :)!

BTW this is not me in the picture.

Members don't see this ad.

Making more money shouldn't be the main driving force towards medicine (don't get me wrong. Making a decent living is very important). First, do some volunteering in a local hospital or hospice to see if you are interested at all. Your post doesn't read that you are very passionate about medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Making more money shouldn't be the main driving force towards medicine (don't get me wrong. Making a decent living is very important). First, do some volunteering in a local hospital or hospice to see if you are interested at all. Your post doesn't read that you are very passionate about medicine.

I want money. **** off.

Members don't see this ad :)
3/10 at best. Could do much better.

Reactions: 2 users
^this

Wow. If that's the case then you are in the wrong place buddy. Also the pay as a CPA is decent. But if you want money..I suggest your bank account
CPA pay is garbage. I want 300k+

Have you thought about the Caribbean medical schools like Ross or St. George's. Why study in the midwest when you can study by the beach!

Reactions: 9 users
Have you thought about the Caribbean medical schools like Ross or St. George's. Why study in the midwest when you can study by the beach!
wow... I just felt the ice on that response lol.

Reactions: 3 users
300k+ is selective specialties. 3.65 from probably the worst 4 year academic institution in the country isn't a strong starting place.

Barriers to entry in medicine are so absurd that if you can jump through all the hoops to get there you surely can get there through quicker and easier routes.

Besides this being a terrible - disastrous - reason to get into medicine, CPA pay is not nearly that bad, and certainly a CPA can do 300k with some social skills.

One of my clients is an insurance adjuster (they average about 60k p.a.) who has pulled in seven figures each of the last 11 years He claims he works no more than 30 hours per week, and I believe him. How? Brilliant marketing, social skills, client relationship management.
Well good for him. But he is the minority. I want to be in a place where that is the majority.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I want money. **** off.

OK, I am sure you are familiar with opportunity costs--and the loss thereof. You are looking at a lot of pain, time, effort, stress, and money loss w/o purpose if this is your main deal for medicine.

Do yourself a favor and research some good franchises. Get some investors or such in something you like and take it as far as you can. I know a guy who makes more than than $300,000 b/c he got into franchise gyms. He owns more than a few now, and he is kicking his sibling's butt financially. Guess what his sibling does? Medicine. Killing the $$$$ and did it w/o half as much pain, comparatively speaking re: the overall price one pays in going through the whole medicine gamut; although I am sure it was not a simple piece of cake from the beginning. Of course the guy to whom I am referring is more charming and knows how to network...and you may be at deficit in this regard. ;)

Thanks for the entertainment. Nice manners. Wow.

Reactions: 1 users
OK, I am sure you are familiar with opportunity costs--and the loss thereof. You are looking at a lot of pain, time, effort, stress, and money loss w/o purpose if this is your main deal for medicine.

Do yourself a favor and research some good franchises. Get some investors or such in something you like and take it as far as you can. I know a guy who makes more than than $300,000 b/c he got into franchise gyms. He owns more than a few now, and he is kicking his sibling's butt financially. Guess what his sibling does? Medicine. Killing the $$$$ and did it w/o half as much pain, comparatively speaking re: the overall price one pays in going through the whole medicine gamut; although I am sure it was not a simple piece of cake from the beginning. Of course the guy to whom I am referring is more charming and knows how to network...and you may be at deficit in this regard. ;)

Thanks for the entertainment. Nice manners. Wow.
exactly. If your in this to make money then go just buy a franchise or other business related venture. Someone with your attitude will never be a doctor. To put it bluntly

Reactions: 1 user
First off...Dude you need to control your attitude. You come across as very brash and that is no way to get the help your seeking.

With that said, people are quick to point out, so and so in field X is making over X amount of $$, so you should do that. While that may be true, however that is NOT the norm. There are plenty of folks in Engineering, Acc., Finance, Teaching, Business, etc. that are either laid off or looking for work and there is no way in general that these folks are making the kind of money that one makes in medicine as a Physician (period).

In every other profession, those that make 300K+ is the extreme rare minority (emphasis added). Where as a physician can easily make 200K+ and in certain specialties well over 300K+.

Let's face it folks....Medicine is a prestigious, PREVILAGED and financially rewarding career!! There is no disputing this fact!

OP your journey towards becoming a physician is long, difficult and a crap shoot at best. Every year the ratio of rejections to matriculants is roughly 60/40. So take your best shot, kill the MCAT, have stellar EC's and apply....just remember even the best of the best end up doing something else simply because they couldn't get in.

300k+ is selective specialties. 3.65 from probably the worst 4 year academic institution in the country isn't a strong starting place.

Barriers to entry in medicine are so absurd that if you can jump through all the hoops to get there you surely can get there through quicker and easier routes.

Besides this being a terrible - disastrous - reason to get into medicine, CPA pay is not nearly that bad, and certainly a CPA can do 300k with some social skills.

One of my clients is an insurance adjuster (they average about 60k p.a.) who has pulled in seven figures each of the last 11 years He claims he works no more than 30 hours per week, and I believe him. How? Brilliant marketing, social skills, client relationship management.
First off...Dude you need to control your attitude. You come across as very brash and that is no way to get the help your seeking.

With that said, people are quick to point out, so and so in field X is making over X amount of $$, so you should do that. While that may be true, however that is NOT the norm. There are plenty of folks in Engineering, Acc., Finance, Teaching, Business, etc. that are either laid off or looking for work and there is no way in general that these folks are making the kind of money that one makes in medicine as a Physician (period).

In every other profession, those that make 300K+ is the extreme rare minority (emphasis added). Where as a physician can easily make 200K+ and in certain specialties well over 300K+.

Let's face it folks....Medicine is a prestigious, PREVILAGED and financially rewarding career!! There is no disputing this fact!

OP your journey towards becoming a physician is long, difficult and a crap shoot at best. Every year the ratio of rejections to matriculants is roughly 60/40. So take your best shot, kill the MCAT, have stellar EC's and apply....just remember even the best of the best end up doing something else simply because they couldn't get in.
Then they are not the best! Anyways my question was If I should do a postbacc or take the prereqs, and how to prepare for the mcat!

3.6 from FIU ~=3.2 from a good 4 year and its hard to mask an attitude this terrible.

I reiterate:

There being a low-mid six figure target. If you want mid-high six figure entrepreneurship is really the only way.
Where did you go to school?

exactly. If your in this to make money then go just buy a franchise or other business related venture. Someone with your attitude will never be a doctor. To put it bluntly
Yeah bro with the totally toxic attitude lets be bros. I like the plan.
I am going to bash you. Where did you go to school?

There's no way you could bash it because FIU is the worst undergrad in the country.

You do know what FIU stands for don't you? F***ing It Up

And you have a 3.62 in an easy, non quant, non science major from this institution

Not a strong starting place.
where did you go to school?

By god i will see you again in real life.

I am going to bash you. Where did you go to school?
you are in the wrong place sir. Furthermore if you truly are wanting to become a doctor you have failed the main test and that is humility. Seeking to become a doctor primarily because again if you are seeking to become one you are seriously not going to become one. From what I know admissions people will see through your ruse and see your true intentions. Like Miami Postbacc said Your attitude is toxic. Further more you also forget that many current physicians and those who are responsible for admissions for residencies are reading what you are saying and will use it against you as they will figure out who you are, how? your previous jobs as a CPA, and where you went to school. The internet is not that secure of a place.

By god i will see you again in real life.

Did you just threaten someone over the internet. Amazing.

Anyway this is what you need :
1 year of
bio
chem
physics
orgo
and potentially biochemistry
calc.
Plus mcat.
Plus ECs.
Then 50/50 shot of getting an interview if your scores are in the median range.

Then 4 years of medical school and lost income and 100+k in debt.
then 5 years of residency @80 hours a week and 50 K a year.

Then 300+K if nothing changes.

Did you just threaten someone over the internet. Amazing.

Anyway this is what you need :
1 year of
bio
chem
physics
orgo
and potentially biochemistry
calc.
Plus mcat.
Plus ECs.
Then 50/50 shot of getting an interview if your scores are in the median range.

Then 4 years of medical school and lost income and 100+k in debt.
then 5 years of residency @80 hours a week and 50 K a year.

Then 300+K if nothing changes.

Congratulations on being accepted!

Do not use the lost income/large debt scam on me! I am a self taught mathematician! The fact is that doctor is the best profession even if you start at 40!

Ok well it looks like if i get accepted I will be 26. Thanks!

Once you make all that money as a physician, then what? Will you be satisfied with your life, and enjoy getting out of bed each day to go to work? This career has the highest suicide rates of any other. Its not wholly about earning money - its about developing an expertise in science and fulfilling a role in society as a healer. The US is more of an exception rather than a rule when it comes to physician salaries - I reckon that this bubble will burst as more midlevel providers come into the workforce, and health reform policies continue to diminish the value of physicians' careers. Just know what you're in for, and best of luck.