NONTRADITIONAL APPLICANT -- PLEASE HELP advice needed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peplau225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a nontraditional applicant looking for advice...

I graduated from undergrad from a Big 10 school in Dec 2011 (GPA: 3.55), and immediately jumped into grad school (M.S. program) January 2012 at a prestigious university. I did well while enrolled in this program (3.65) but I decided that I did not like the program at all, and I decided to withdraw. I then decided to enroll in a MPH program at my undergrad institution (GPA: 3.75), mostly so that I could postpone payment on my student loans. Currently I am working full time (no choice... I have to afford to live somehow!), while continuing classes towards my MPH, and now I am looking to apply to medical school. I would ideally like to go to medical school at the same school that I am enrolled in the MPH, but I would very much like to apply to other schools. However, I am concerned that all potential schools will see is two unfinished graduate programs. Does anyone have any advice?? Thank you in advance!

GPA: stated above
MCAT: Take in two weeks. Practice exams are going well - aiming for a 30+.
Other: 3 1/2 years tutoring biology, anatomy, physiology, genetics and algebra. 3 years research experience. Been working at my job now for almost a year. Been honored by Governor of my state for volunteer efforts.

Members don't see this ad.

I would finish the MPH program to show that you possess follow-through. Plus, an MPH should be beneficial when applying to medical school. Many medical school programs offer dual MD/MPH to help students become prepared for public health and occupational health-related physician careers.

Reactions: 1 user
I have thought about this but I do not want to wait because of my age, as is if accepted this year I wouldn't be starting medical school until I am 26. As previously stated, I would like to go to school at the same school I am getting my MPH (I am applying to the MD/MPH program, as well as the DO/MPH program - my school is unique in that it has both an allopathic and osteopathic school - GO SPARTANS!). I feel better about applying to my school, but it is the other schools that I am concerned with..

Members don't see this ad :)
I have thought about this but I do not want to wait because of my age, as is if accepted this year I wouldn't be starting medical school until I am 26. As previously stated, I would like to go to school at the same school I am getting my MPH (I am applying to the MD/MPH program, as well as the DO/MPH program - my school is unique in that it has both an allopathic and osteopathic school - GO SPARTANS!). I feel better about applying to my school, but it is the other schools that I am concerned with..

I would not recommend putting all of one's eggs in one basket but at this point you have to. If you don't get in the first time around, try again during your final year of MPH so that you'll graduate with the MPH and start med school within the year (maybe within weeks). Most schools will not poach and will not consider you for matriculation until you complete the degree you are currently enrolled in. And having quit one program, it would be a disaster to quit another program.

Finally, being 26 when you start medical school is not "old" and no one is going to feel that you are too old.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm starting this July and I'm 34. 26 is still a spring chicken. :) You can practice until you're 75+ these days with good health (and diminishing reimbursements :) ). That's a 45+ year physician career for you.

Wow! Thank you everyone for your advice, it really is appreciated! I am going to go ahead and apply, and if something happens that I don't get in, then I'll apply again! Thank you!!