Nontraditional Pharmacist--Cruise Ships

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by MarchIoda, May 25, 2008.

1. MarchIoda

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am wondering if anyone has any input about cruise ship pharmacies. How much do the staff pharmacists make? What are the hours? Best employers? Contract lengths? I'd appreciate any info you have on other "nontraditional pharmacies" too, I've read about pharmacists working for NASA making up med-packs for astronauts. So the sky's the limit if you know of any job outside the typical retail / hospital / office setting let it be known!

2. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    great thread...im very interested too!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jbuprepharm

Jbuprepharm The Poopsmith
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm pretty sure they just have a nurse on board who handles the medical stuff (as far as cruise ships are concerned). I would be surprised to find a pharmacist on board

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. njac

njac Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    yeah, I know they often have a MD, but seeing as they should be dealing with acute stuff or just keeping you stable until they get to port, I figure they just give you some cipro for the travelers diarrhea and send you on your way.

5. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've been on three cruises and none have had a pharmacists. All had a ship doctor (though I didn't check to see MD, DO, or other degree) Not to say they don't have pharmacists, but I don't think they'd have much need for one.

6. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  7. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    ^^ interesting, although it sounds like a very small niche.

8. tprice108

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm resurrecting this thread b/c I want to say that this sounds like a good idea if it exists.

9. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  10. Carboxide

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  11. johnep34

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In the 60s, I was a med rep and working in a seaport town. I decided to try to see the ship's Dr on the P&O Stratheden and managed to get on board and find the medical section. Apparently cruise ships have Dr etc on board when in port between cruises for all the workers on board.

After a time a bottle of whisky was opened and I can just about remember managing to get past the policeman on the dock gate and then sleeping it off in a field.

Also enjoyed an excellent lunch.

I suggest you contact the cruise lines.

I have met pharmacists working as cosmetic chemists and flavourists, I myself was in Export travelling all over the world.

Pharmacy has been very good to me.
    johnep

12. Amy0928

Amy0928 Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Im a pharm tec at CVS and the bulk of our business comes from the cruise ship employees & customers (mainly Carnival & Royal Caribbean). They have MDs on board that write the prescriptions and fax them to us. Every hour or so someone picks them all up and drops off more prescriptions. :)