Nontraditional Pharmacist--Cruise Ships

Started by MarchIoda
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MarchIoda

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering if anyone has any input about cruise ship pharmacies. How much do the staff pharmacists make? What are the hours? Best employers? Contract lengths? I'd appreciate any info you have on other "nontraditional pharmacies" too, I've read about pharmacists working for NASA making up med-packs for astronauts. So the sky's the limit if you know of any job outside the typical retail / hospital / office setting let it be known!
 
I am wondering if anyone has any input about cruise ship pharmacies. How much do the staff pharmacists make? What are the hours? Best employers? Contract lengths? I'd appreciate any info you have on other "nontraditional pharmacies" too, I've read about pharmacists working for NASA making up med-packs for astronauts. So the sky's the limit if you know of any job outside the typical retail / hospital / office setting let it be known!

great thread...im very interested too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, I know they often have a MD, but seeing as they should be dealing with acute stuff or just keeping you stable until they get to port, I figure they just give you some cipro for the travelers diarrhea and send you on your way.
 
I've been on three cruises and none have had a pharmacists. All had a ship doctor (though I didn't check to see MD, DO, or other degree) Not to say they don't have pharmacists, but I don't think they'd have much need for one.
 
I'm resurrecting this thread b/c I want to say that this sounds like a good idea if it exists.
 
In the 60s, I was a med rep and working in a seaport town. I decided to try to see the ship's Dr on the P&O Stratheden and managed to get on board and find the medical section. Apparently cruise ships have Dr etc on board when in port between cruises for all the workers on board.

After a time a bottle of whisky was opened and I can just about remember managing to get past the policeman on the dock gate and then sleeping it off in a field.

Also enjoyed an excellent lunch.

I suggest you contact the cruise lines.

I have met pharmacists working as cosmetic chemists and flavourists, I myself was in Export travelling all over the world.

Pharmacy has been very good to me.
johnep
 
Im a pharm tec at CVS and the bulk of our business comes from the cruise ship employees & customers (mainly Carnival & Royal Caribbean). They have MDs on board that write the prescriptions and fax them to us. Every hour or so someone picks them all up and drops off more prescriptions. 🙂