Nontraditional - please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MediEli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN Members!,

I am new to the forum. I just joined today. I have been reading threads and doing research and I decided it was time to open an account and get some feedback.
I will try to make it as short as possible.
Here's my story:
I'm from Chicago and I am a 29 year old Mexican-American female.
I graduated with my master's degree in Clinical Mental Health last year. Recently I resurrected my dream of becoming a doctor and have started doing research into it. I found two post-baccalaureate programs in my city that will allow me to work full-time. I never took the science requirements that it takes to get into medical school during my undergrad. Had I known that a post-bacc program was available for people like me before I embarked into getting a master's degree I would have gone that route. Things happen for a reason I guess. I love psychology but something inside me keeps pulling me towards medicine. So far, I have applied to one of the programs and they encouraged me to take a science course at a big university to prove that I can handle the rigors of the post-bacc program and medical school.

I don't know anyone personally that has gone through medical school. If I get lucky and work hard, I will be the first one in my entire family. I need a lot of feedback. If there is anyone who has gone the non-traditional route that can tell me how their experience was especially if they went to a post-bacc program and worked full-time. Also, any non-traditional medical students, how is it for you? The hardships and the victories. I feel lost in my search for answers. I am currently not working in the field but hold a job at a place where I am happy. I feel a bit disappointed in the major I chose because I had a bad experience during internship and because its just hard to be a counselor in the state of Illinois. I enjoyed the program I graduated from and I have learned a lot from it. I believe I have learned skills from it that can benefit me in medical school.

Thanks for your time!
MediEli

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!

You'll probably get more responses here once you're able to formulate more specific questions about the process. I'd recommend searching through the threads that already exist on this forum-- there's a ton of coverage of the broad questions that you're asking, and it will really help you to develop a sense of the specific challenges that you want more information about. In general, being a nontraditional student is grueling and inherently pretty lonely, as it's unlikely anyone in your direct support network will have any experiences going through the things you'll have to do to achieve these goals. That said, if you've determined for sure that you know what medicine really is (through shadowing, reading extensively online) and that it's absolutely what you want to do, the process itself is energizing and rewarding, and the feeling of being on the right track after a long time in pursuits that clearly weren't right is difficult to match.

Welcome!

You'll probably get more responses here once you're able to formulate more specific questions about the process. I'd recommend searching through the threads that already exist on this forum-- there's a ton of coverage of the broad questions that you're asking, and it will really help you to develop a sense of the specific challenges that you want more information about. In general, being a nontraditional student is grueling and inherently pretty lonely, as it's unlikely anyone in your direct support network will have any experiences going through the things you'll have to do to achieve these goals. That said, if you've determined for sure that you know what medicine really is (through shadowing, reading extensively online) and that it's absolutely what you want to do, the process itself is energizing and rewarding, and the feeling of being on the right track after a long time in pursuits that clearly weren't right is difficult to match.

Hello tryptamine,

Thanks for your response. I will do some thread searches. I have been volunteering at a hospital but I am not sure where to ask for shadowing opportunities since they don't let volunteers shadow at the hospital. I've been thinking of asking my pcp and asking other volunteers if they know of places that will allow me to shadow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten in yet, but I have 6 IIs.

Working full time and doing a postbac (and volunteering) (and MCAT prep) (and shadowing) means canceling hobbies and minimizing social life or visa versa. It isn't easy. Its been crazy. I am looking forward to resuming a normal social life and normal hobbies. There have been a ton of 80+ hour weeks, probably a dozen 100+ and teachers who grade attendance and busywork => your life is hell.

Also formal postbac programs are mostly not worth the extra expense relative to taking the preqreqs at a community college or extension school. There's no real benefit to them.

I think adcoms are impressed by working full time and crushing a 3.7+, probably because its a huge time-management test.

If I done this full time and stopped working I would be broke. Instead if not admitted I retire by 45 or so, if admitted I can pay cash and not have to live super lean! So its all been worth it!

People who do not shadow don't get in. Scramble, beg, borrow, hustle to get at least 20 and preferably 40 hours. Don't be shy about asking, while many dislike it, a few seem to really enjoy being shadowed

I hope all you effort pays off once you get in :)
Can you clarify one thing for me? You mean that it's not really worth it going to a post bacc program and suggest taking the prerequisites at a community college?

Hi SDN Members!,

I am new to the forum. I just joined today. I have been reading threads and doing research and I decided it was time to open an account and get some feedback.
I will try to make it as short as possible.
Here's my story:
I'm from Chicago and I am a 29 year old Mexican-American female.
I graduated with my master's degree in Clinical Mental Health last year. Recently I resurrected my dream of becoming a doctor and have started doing research into it. I found two post-baccalaureate programs in my city that will allow me to work full-time. I never took the science requirements that it takes to get into medical school during my undergrad. Had I known that a post-bacc program was available for people like me before I embarked into getting a master's degree I would have gone that route. Things happen for a reason I guess. I love psychology but something inside me keeps pulling me towards medicine. So far, I have applied to one of the programs and they encouraged me to take a science course at a big university to prove that I can handle the rigors of the post-bacc program and medical school.

I don't know anyone personally that has gone through medical school. If I get lucky and work hard, I will be the first one in my entire family. I need a lot of feedback. If there is anyone who has gone the non-traditional route that can tell me how their experience was especially if they went to a post-bacc program and worked full-time. Also, any non-traditional medical students, how is it for you? The hardships and the victories. I feel lost in my search for answers. I am currently not working in the field but hold a job at a place where I am happy. I feel a bit disappointed in the major I chose because I had a bad experience during internship and because its just hard to be a counselor in the state of Illinois. I enjoyed the program I graduated from and I have learned a lot from it. I believe I have learned skills from it that can benefit me in medical school.

Thanks for your time!
MediEli

You came to the right place. You may want to mention some more about current job, gpa, volunteering/clinical experience, and goals (DO vs MD) so we could advise more.

To all: How on earth do you do a formal post bacc with a full time job? Or even a non formal normal credited semester with full time job? Can't think it would be healthy.

You came to the right place. You may want to mention some more about current job, gpa, volunteering/clinical experience, and goals (DO vs MD) so we could advise more.

To all: How on earth do you do a formal post bacc with a full time job? Or even a non formal normal credited semester with full time job? Can't think it would be healthy.

Great question! I want to know if there is anyone out there that went to school full time for a post bacc and worked full time and how they did it.

I work full-time in an office environment for a big retailer :)
I actually completed my master's as a full time student and worked full time. I completed my degree with a 3.7 GPA. I had to complete a practicum/internship as part of the program so for a year I worked full-time, went to school, and went to my practicum/internship site. For a year from Mon-Fri I got up at 5:00 a.m. and got home at 9:00 p.m. It was rough but finishing the program and graduating felt amazing. I understand its going to be totally different in a post bacc program especially with all the science. So I really want to hear from someone.

I am currently volunteering at the E.R. of one of the best trauma centers in the city :) but I don't have clinical experience in a medical setting. Only in a counseling setting because of my degree.

I'm not sure which route to take when it comes to MD or DO. There is only one DO school in Chicago and I would love to stay home if I got to medical school. I have the best chances going MD.

Last edited:
Great question! I want to know if there is anyone out there that went to school full time for a post bacc and worked full time and how they did it.

I work full-time in an office environment for a big retailer :)
I actually completed my master's as a full time student and worked full time. I completed my degree with a 3.7 GPA. I had to complete a practicum/internship as part of the program so for a year I worked full-time, went to school, and went to my practicum/internship site. For a year from Mon-Fri I got up at 5:00 a.m. and got home at 9:00 p.m. It was rough but finishing the program and graduating felt amazing. I understand its going to be totally different in a post bacc program especially with all the science. So I really want to hear from someone.

I am currently volunteering at the E.R. of one of the best trauma centers in the city :) but I don't have clinical experience in a medical setting. Only in a counseling setting because of my degree.

I'm not sure which route to take when it comes to MD or DO. There is only one DO school in Chicago and I would love to stay home if I got to medical school. I have the best chances going MD.

So search the topic more, but DO is easier to get into than MD. A lot will depend on your post bacc grades and MCAT. Trauma ER volunteering is definitely clinical, so make sure to log those hours and keep it all up. You may want to find a non-clinical volunteering if you can too.

Unfortunately, Masters GPAs that are not SMP may not hold the same weight to ADCOMs as the post bacc or even undergrad GPAs. The application GPA will have everything from start to fnish on it. Your Post bacc with the science classes will be yet the most important. Finally, once we hear some more GPA numbers, we could give you a good MCAT range, but higher then better which is not easily done. I am pretty non-trad and know the midwest/Chicago well, feel free to holla.

So search the topic more, but DO is easier to get into than MD. A lot will depend on your post bacc grades and MCAT. Trauma ER volunteering is definitely clinical, so make sure to log those hours and keep it all up. You may want to find a non-clinical volunteering if you can too.

Unfortunately, Masters GPAs that are not SMP may not hold the same weight to ADCOMs as the post bacc or even undergrad GPAs. The application GPA will have everything from start to fnish on it. Your Post bacc with the science classes will be yet the most important. Finally, once we hear some more GPA numbers, we could give you a good MCAT range, but higher then better which is not easily done. I am pretty non-trad and know the midwest/Chicago well, feel free to holla.

What would non-clinical volunteering be?
I just checked my undergrad GPA, 3.81
Thanks all the advice! :)

If your GPA is that high. Do the bare minimum science prereqs left and start focusing on the MCAT. You don't need an expensive formal post bacc bacc program to get in somewhere. You could easily have multiple chances at the Chicago MD schools with a MCAT score >508 (probably less based on URM, but w/e). >513 you could start looking at higher tiered schools.

Non-clinical is like helping homeless, teaching ESL, tutoring for undeserved kids...Chicagos got a ton of this stuff available.

If your GPA is that high. Do the bare minimum science prereqs left and start focusing on the MCAT. You don't need an expensive formal post bacc bacc program to get in somewhere. You could easily have multiple chances at the Chicago MD schools with a MCAT score >508 (probably less based on URM, but w/e). >513 you could start looking at higher tiered schools.

Non-clinical is like helping homeless, teaching ESL, tutoring for undeserved kids...Chicagos got a ton of this stuff available.

Sounds great! =)
Do you think taking the prereqs at a school like Northeastern Illinois (state, 4 year public school) will help me?

Hey there! I had a similar situation that you did. I did undergrad in an unrelated major. I did the first year of prereqs while working full time. I eventually left my position and did a 2 year masters in physiology while finishing prerequisites. I worked as a Medical Assistant during graduate school and I volunteered at a clinic for those without health insurance. I am 31 and this cycle I am sitting on two DO acceptances and just interviewed at in state MD school. I have too many interviews to go to all of them. Do not rule out DO. I have found DO programs have been more receptive to nontrads. I had very strong stats GPA wise and a lowerish MCAT. TBH, I didn't have the time or resources to really invest in MCAT prep. Many people told me to take another year off to study just for the MCAT, but I really wanted to move forward with my life. Working and prepping for getting in took a serious toll on my health. Honestly, I feel like ADCOMs have overlooked my lowerish MCAT score because of my story. I also had a high GPA before grad school, but I chose to do grad school to show programs my investment.

A huge thing I have had to overcome is "proving" to ADCOMs that I am really invested in this process. Last cycle I had one MD interview. The feedback I got was "we want to make sure you know what you are getting into." Having a masters in graduate level sciences has helped show my investment. I did significant preparation for interviews this cycle. I felt like I really learned how to "tell my story."

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds great! =)
Do you think taking the prereqs at a school like Northeastern Illinois (state, 4 year public school) will help me?

Depends how many you have left. Someone else may be better to direct you on post bacc/formal ones, but I would think if you just fill the prereqs in that it will be good enough unless its literally like all of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I did NU's formal program and found it extremely valuable. People on SDN generally encourage folks to go the DIY route, but I would still not do that even if I were to go back and do it all over again. It was more than worth it for me. If you have questions about that particular program, let me know.

Hey there! I had a similar situation that you did. I did undergrad in an unrelated major. I did the first year of prereqs while working full time. I eventually left my position and did a 2 year masters in physiology while finishing prerequisites. I worked as a Medical Assistant during graduate school and I volunteered at a clinic for those without health insurance. I am 31 and this cycle I am sitting on two DO acceptances and just interviewed at in state MD school. I have too many interviews to go to all of them. Do not rule out DO. I have found DO programs have been more receptive to nontrads. I had very strong stats GPA wise and a lowerish MCAT. TBH, I didn't have the time or resources to really invest in MCAT prep. Many people told me to take another year off to study just for the MCAT, but I really wanted to move forward with my life. Working and prepping for getting in took a serious toll on my health. Honestly, I feel like ADCOMs have overlooked my lowerish MCAT score because of my story. I also had a high GPA before grad school, but I chose to do grad school to show programs my investment.

A huge thing I have had to overcome is "proving" to ADCOMs that I am really invested in this process. Last cycle I had one MD interview. The feedback I got was "we want to make sure you know what you are getting into." Having a masters in graduate level sciences has helped show my investment. I did significant preparation for interviews this cycle. I felt like I really learned how to "tell my story."

I'm sorry preparing took a toll on your health. You have come a long way. I won't rule out DO. I hope my story is good enough to prove how invested I am. If you don't mind sharing, what made you decide to take the leap into medicine? :) I am interested.

Hey, I did NU's formal program and found it extremely valuable. People on SDN generally encourage folks to go the DIY route, but I would still not do that even if I were to go back and do it all over again. It was more than worth it for me. If you have questions about that particular program, let me know.

Hello, is that the post-bacc at Northwestern University? Do tell your experience please. :)

Depends how many you have left. Someone else may be better to direct you on post bacc/formal ones, but I would think if you just fill the prereqs in that it will be good enough unless its literally like all of them.

I have all of my science pre-reqs to complete. Biology, chemistry, physics.