Nontraditional Student with Gap During Postbacc Due to Illness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayadan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontraditional Applicant with *>3.9 undergrad GPA from a non-traditional college. Masters in Social Work from highly respected program with a 4.0 GPA.

Postbacc at Columbia University. This is where it gets tricky. Had a 3.86 GPA (all As and A-s) after first three semesters. Then, took ill and was on leave for a couple of years during which I took a job as a teacher and was treated for my illness--mostly outpatient, a few months inpatient. When I retuned to Columbia last year I took one course and scored a B-, reducing my GPA to a 3.78.*It turns out that I was a bit overeager to get back on track but not quite back to myself. *I continued tx until my medical team gave me a clean bill of health and the go-ahead to resume my studies in January of this year. I took the MCAT in July and scored a 33R.

I have addressed my illness and susbsequent rocky return to postbacc in my personal statement. I have one outstanding course (orgo 2) which I will take this year in addition to neurobio or cell bio. I will continue to teach and volunteer 4 clinical hours per week in a local hospital beginning in September.

My ECs:
6 month volunteer for Food Bank of NY: fundraising and working in kitchen/dining room.

1 year bench research experience. Strong LOR from lab advisor (MD, PhD and professor in med school) but no publication.

100 or so hospital hours: direct contact with patients, no shaddowing of doctor.

4 years of part time teaching adolescents in religious afterschool program.

1 year facilitating monthly girl's youth group with focus on adolescent developmental issues.

Finalist/Scholarship winner in an international literary contest 2 years in a row (2009 and 2010).

2 years teaching elementary school (during my illness--they were very flexible with me in tx). Leadership roles in school: team leader in math and social/emotional curriculum. Designed and oversaw implementation of school-wide holiday programming.

Also have theater and choral experience from time as postbacc which I may include.

The list of schools my advisor and I came up with is as follows:

Rush,
Loyola
Tufts
Brown
Albany Medical College
Einstein
Boston University
Chicago Medical School (at Rosalind Franklin University)
Dartmouth
Drexel
George Washington University
Georgetown
Howard University
Jefferson Medical College
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Downstate
Stonybrook
UMDNJ
SUNY Syracuse
Temple
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
University of Connecticut
University of Maryland

Too many reaches/safety schools? Not enough? Any schools that seem wildly innapropriate?*I plan to submit my AMCAS this weekend. Any feedback would be so greatly appreciated!

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.