Nontraditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echo321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am studying to go to a vet school. I majored in fine art and have a bachleor. I am not that confident with science classes but I try. I get A’s with some B+. What would be my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am studying to go to a vet school. I majored in fine art and have a bachleor. I am not that confident with science classes but I try. I get A’s with some B+. What would be my chances?
Do you have any vet experience? It’s hard to say your chances with what you just have. I recommend trying to keep your GPA above a 3.5 & getting some hours in a veterinary clinic. They like to see diverse hours (some with small animal, large animal, exotics, etc). As well as research, but that is not needed as I never got any.

Need more info. Post in the WAMC subforum at the top of the page :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest posting in the What Are My Chances section where you’ll get more responses. There’s also a template/format of what to include so respondents can give you advice to the best of our abilities!

Do you have any vet experience? It’s hard to say your chances with what you just have. I recommend trying to keep your GPA above a 3.5 & getting some hours in a veterinary clinic. They like to see diverse hours (some with small animal, large animal, exotics, etc). As well as research, but that is not needed as I never got any.
Hi! I am working at a vet hospital as a tech assistant. So gpa above 3.5 is a must?

Hi! I am working at a vet hospital as a tech assistant. So gpa above 3.5 is a must?
It’s not “a must” but that is average for most applicants so if you’re below that you’ll need to “make up” for it in other ways. What’s why people are telling you to go post in the WAMC thread using the general template for posts there. Then they can look at all your experiences, GPAs, whatever and give you the best most informed recommendations knowing all your stats. GPA is an important piece of the puzzle yes but it’s not the only one. And it matters for some schools more than others which is why people need more info to be able to help guide you.

Reactions: 1 users
A GPA above 3.5 is more competitive, but people with lower GPAs can still be admitted. If you are still taking prereqs, try to get the best grades you can to boost your science GPA and last 45 credit hours, because schools look at those as well as your cumulative GPA. There are some schools that are more holistic and don't focus on GPA as much, you just have to choose the schools you apply to carefully.

A GPA above 3.5 is more competitive, but people with lower GPAs can still be admitted. If you are still taking prereqs, try to get the best grades you can to boost your science GPA and last 45 credit hours, because schools look at those as well as your cumulative GPA. There are some schools that are more holistic and don't focus on GPA as much, you just have to choose the schools you apply to carefully.
Would you happen to have a list of more holistic schools? I remember seeing someone make a thread of them in the past but I can't seem to find it :cryi: Also, I'm currently in a post-bac program right now to take more upper div science courses and improve my GPA. A vet that I'm pretty close to who also did the same in the past said that this was the right thing to do. However, I spoke to someone else today who told me that it was more important to retake the prereq courses I got a C in. Hearing this worried me a bit as it made me feel like the time I've spent in my post-bac is a bit of a waste... Does anyone have an advice on this as I'm feeling pretty disheartened right now :(

Would you happen to have a list of more holistic schools? I remember seeing someone make a thread of them in the past but I can't seem to find it :cryi: Also, I'm currently in a post-bac program right now to take more upper div science courses and improve my GPA. A vet that I'm pretty close to who also did the same in the past said that this was the right thing to do. However, I spoke to someone else today who told me that it was more important to retake the prereq courses I got a C in. Hearing this worried me a bit as it made me feel like the time I've spent in my post-bac is a bit of a waste... Does anyone have an advice on this as I'm feeling pretty disheartened right now :(
I recommend posting your own WAMC thread where you fill out our general form so we can have more details of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend posting your own WAMC thread where you fill out our general form so we can have more details of your application.
Thank you for the advice !! Just posted :)