Nontradititional in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cellfie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all -

I'd love your opinions! I'm applying to schools in Texas (where I currently live).
  • GPA: overall 3.643
    • Gen Bio I with lab: A
    • Gen Bio II with lab: A
    • Gen Chem I with lab: A
    • Gen Chem II with lab: A
    • O Chem I with lab: B
    • O Chem II with lab: C
    • Microbiology with lab: A
    • Biochem I with lab: A
    • Anatomy/Phys I with lab: A
    • Anatomy/Phys II with lab: A
    • Pharmacology: A
  • currently work as an acute-care speech-language pathologist in a trauma hospital (2 years)
  • Master's in speech-language pathology from the University of Texas
  • Bachelor's in speech/hearing sciences from the University of Arizona
  • Physician shadowing: >50 hours nicu & ob/gyn, 6 hours pathology, 8 family, 8 hospitalist, 8 neurology
  • Attended 4 medical conferences (cancer symposium, GI symposium, primary care conference, internal medicine conference)
  • Hospice volunteering one day per week for 1 year
  • various single-day volunteer experiences - Habitat for Humanity, food bank & community garden
-MCAT will be taken in Jan 2015

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all -

I'd love your opinions! I'm applying to schools in Texas (where I currently live).
  • GPA: overall 3.643
    • Gen Bio I with lab: A
    • Gen Bio II with lab: A
    • Gen Chem I with lab: A
    • Gen Chem II with lab: A
    • O Chem I with lab: B
    • O Chem II with lab: C
    • Microbiology with lab: A
    • Biochem I with lab: A
    • Anatomy/Phys I with lab: A
    • Anatomy/Phys II with lab: A
    • Pharmacology: A
  • currently work as an acute-care speech-language pathologist in a trauma hospital (2 years)
  • Master's in speech-language pathology from the University of Texas
  • Bachelor's in speech/hearing sciences from the University of Arizona
  • Physician shadowing: >50 hours nicu & ob/gyn, 6 hours pathology, 8 family, 8 hospitalist, 8 neurology
  • Attended 4 medical conferences (cancer symposium, GI symposium, primary care conference, internal medicine conference)
  • Hospice volunteering one day per week for 1 year
  • various single-day volunteer experiences - Habitat for Humanity, food bank & community garden
-MCAT will be taken in Jan 2015
Texas schools seem to love regular nonmedical community service that helps those in need. You might pick one of the organizations with which you spent a day (particularly if its mission excites your interest) and make a weekly/twice-monthly commitment to it. Maybe even aim to take on a peer leadership role within the organization.

Any plan for some research involvement?

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your advice!

Good call with nonmedical service. I really love hospice, but I was not sure if I needed to add something else as well.

Do you think I should retake O Chem II?