Noob here, help me out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleonard8814

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three years after graduating college, I'm finishing up my first AMCAS application. I have a 3.7c/3.5s and a 35 Q (12BS 11PS 12VR) MCAT that I just took this Spring. I'm a MN resident.

In college, I wasn't exactly Captain Involvement. I worked about 10-12 hours/week as a writing tutor for two years, did maybe 50 hours of volunteer tutoring for special needs kids, and the rest of my "EC" work was ad-hoc volunteer projects with my Dad's parishioners.

Research is pretty solid- spent a couple consecutive summers doing chemical engineering research (I know, not medically related) in a competitive REU program.

These last three years (God, how many hours is that?) I've worked full time for a peds pulmonology group, and have got in really tight with the docs I work for. Lots of clinical experience coordinating procedures, and working as a de-facto case manager for homecare kids. As for leadership, I've spent the last 6 months (and running) leading the implementation of the clinic's new electronic system.

How am I looking? Are my ECs so low that I'm not gonna be considered?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say pretty solid. your going to get in somewhere for sure. Just don't get all upset if harvard or yale reject you.

How am I looking? Are my ECs so low that I'm not gonna be considered?
No way... Don't let the SDN brand neuroticism get to you. You're just not a "cookie-cutter" candidate, but you've got an impressively varied resume and a little more maturity under your belt than the average applicant. So long as you apply broadly, you shouldn't worry about getting interviews. Once you're in the interviews, I don't think you'll have trouble making the case that you've really thought about what a career in medicine means and why it's the best fit for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys, reading this forum is bad juju. You're entirely right, Mac Blade, neuroticism tends to run rampant in pre-med circles.

Tangential question, how do you quote more than one poster in a response? The format here is different from my Nebraska Football forum...

Tangential question, how do you quote more than one poster in a response? The format here is different from my Nebraska Football forum...

You're right about this forum being toxic in excess. I'm trying to cut back.

To multi-quote, press the button to the right of the "quote" button and it should turn orange. On the last post you are quoting, click "quote" instead and everything you selected will be quoted.

To multi-quote, press the button to the right of the "quote" button and it should turn orange. On the last post you are quoting, click "quote" instead and everything you selected will be quoted.
:thumbup:

have been wanting the answer to this....forever lmao

Looks good. Just be grounded during your interview, they like you or they don't- take it or leave it. The MCAT should get you through many first passes and onto interviews, then focus on your experience and how these varied experience will help you relate to your patients. Be prepared to answer the question of how a challenging experience will make you more adept at dealing with people. That's really the best advice I can give.

Looks good. Just be grounded during your interview, they like you or they don't- take it or leave it. The MCAT should get you through many first passes and onto interviews, then focus on your experience and how these varied experience will help you relate to your patients. Be prepared to answer the question of how a challenging experience will make you more adept at dealing with people. That's really the best advice I can give.
experience is an important issue during interview.

With regard to your chemical engineering research, keep in mind that research need not be medically related.

Also, we have a subforum called "What Are My Chances?" here in Pre-Allo for "chancing" people based on their stats and EC's.

This thread is being moved there.