You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WAMC?/School List help (513, 3.96gpa)
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Carle? Read
www.studentdoctor.net
Carle Illinois College of Medicine: Physician Innovators | SDN
Carle Illinois College of Medicine integrates engineering principles into their curriculum, aiming to create physician innovators.
www.studentdoctor.net
hopefulpremed2
Full Member
Yes. What is wrong with Carle? I'm not understanding
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They want applicants who majored in engineering, computer science, data science and the like. Also read their stringent math prereqsYes. What is wrong with Carle? I'm not understanding
hopefulpremed2
Full Member
From what I have heard, they take certifications, research experience, and free online courses as evidence of proficiency in those areas. I have talked to many of the current students about it.They want applicants who majored in engineering, computer science, data science and the like. Also read their stringent math prereqs
hopefulpremed2
Full Member
If you think it's a no go though I am willing to take it off the list! Not set on it by any meansThey want applicants who majored in engineering, computer science, data science and the like. Also read their stringent math prereqs
Just wanted to be sure you knew about the engineering/ innovation focus. If it’s in your interest zone, applyIf you think it's a no go though I am willing to take it off the list! Not set on it by any means
hopefulpremed2
Full Member
If you don't mind me asking, how is the rest of the school list otherwise?Just wanted to be sure you knew about the engineering/ innovation focus. If it’s in your interest zone, apply
I give you an actual article to read with an interview with their admissions and curriculum team, and you reply with hearsay? Not that the people you talked to haven't given you valuable advice, but as I read your application, nothing stands out as "physician entrepreneur."From what I have heard, they take certifications, research experience, and free online courses as evidence of proficiency in those areas. I have talked to many of the current students about it.
As for other schools on your list, I would hope you have a shot at the other in-states, though 250 hours of non-clinical community service (food pantry) might not cut it for Loyola or other Jesuit schools that want to see immersive experience with underserved communities in the hundreds to thousands of hours. I think SIU prefers non-Chicagoland applicants. I'll let others come up with a good list, but you are not exploring the Northeast where I think you have some schools that might take a chance at you.
You do need more primary care exposure. Glad you have the variety with derm and retina surgery, but you need that primary care base.
hopefulpremed2
Full Member
I'm sorry if that sounded rude, it wasn't intended that way. The point I was trying to get across was that I initially felt the same way, there was nothing about my application that was indicative of being a potential Carle medical student, but the students explained to me the things that I mentioned (I work closely with multiple of them actually as Carle is attached to my undergraduate university). & it's extremely close to me so I figured I'd give it a shot. I also did read the article! Thank you for taking the time to send it.I give you an actual article to read with an interview with their admissions and curriculum team, and you reply with hearsay? Not that the people you talked to haven't given you valuable advice, but as I read your application, nothing stands out as "physician entrepreneur."
As for other schools on your list, I would hope you have a shot at the other in-states, though 250 hours of non-clinical community service (food pantry) might not cut it for Loyola or other Jesuit schools that want to see immersive experience with underserved communities in the hundreds to thousands of hours. I think SIU prefers non-Chicagoland applicants. I'll let others come up with a good list, but you are not exploring the Northeast where I think you have some schools that might take a chance at you.
You do need more primary care exposure. Glad you have the variety with derm and retina surgery, but you need that primary care base.
Also, I am aware of the non-clinical volunteering soft-requirements of the Jesuit schools, but coming from a lower-income background, I have had to work through college such that my parents aren't burdened by me financially; do the schools look at things like this with any nuance or is it a hard stop type of thing for applicants? If so, I would probably just save the money applying.
Thank you for the response, I appreciate the advice on the schools in the northeast and getting primary care experience.
I think it looks good and actually I think you have enough ECs for Loyola. If you like Jesuit schools you can add Creighton (Omaha and Phoenix campuses) You already have Georgetown and SLU on your list.If you don't mind me asking, how is the rest of the school list otherwise?
For a more comprehensive list I hope @Faha can add advice in the next couple of days. 🙂
hopefulpremed2
Full Member
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. First gen so I have no clue how to do this and I love and appreciate how helpful some people are!I think it looks good and actually I think you have enough ECs for Loyola. If you like Jesuit schools you can add Creighton (Omaha and Phoenix campuses) You already have Georgetown and SLU on your list.
For a more comprehensive list I hope @Faha can add advice in the next couple of days. 🙂
I suggest these schools with your stats":
Illinois
SIU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Iowa
Indiana
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Illinois
SIU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Iowa
Indiana
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
- Status
- Not open for further replies.