Noob Pharmacy Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdeka

Female
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Me:
Graduated from a “top 15” school with a meh GPA in Biology (3.2). Did a year of science postbacc with a 4.0. Research, clinical experience.

Worked as a research coordinator for two years after. Always thinking “I’ll get to med school apps eventually” when I obviously lost my passion a long time ago.

Took PCAT, 97 comp but can do better if needed... I didn’t finish any section and should have taken practice tests.

Can I apply this cycle or should I get more pharm experience? I’m tired of wasting time so I’d rather just get in wherever.

I do have some pharmacy experience with research drugs, conmeds, the hospital research pharmacy, etc. But no actual pharm tech experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Me:
Graduated from a “top 15” school with a meh GPA in Biology (3.2). Did a year of science postbacc with a 4.0. Research, clinical experience.

Worked as a research coordinator for two years after. Always thinking “I’ll get to med school apps eventually” when I obviously lost my passion a long time ago.

Took PCAT, 97 comp but can do better if needed... I didn’t finish any section and should have taken practice tests.

Can I apply this cycle or should I get more pharm experience? I’m tired of wasting time so I’d rather just get in wherever.

I do have some pharmacy experience with research drugs, conmeds, the hospital research pharmacy, etc. But no actual pharm tech experience.
Pro answer: If you're tired of wasting time (and money) then don't go to pharmacy school.

Reactions: 3 users
Me:

Things to consider:

1) Top 15 isn't necessarily an eye opener so long as you have the prerequisites

2) If you lost your passion with med school while shadowing, how do you know you have passion for pharmacy if you've never been in a pharmacy?

3) Many pre-pharms do not have research experience going into pharmacy (let alone a bachelors). Your credentials are above most in this category

4) I cannot tell if your trolling or you really don't understand what a 97 composition score is on the PCAT. Simply put: the score is superb, don't retake

5) Yes, you can still apply this cycle to those schools still open for applicants (look on PharmCAS and apply broadly).

I hope you are not simply running to pharmacy. If you do take this path be cautious of your student debt vs potential income. When it comes down to it and you decide to embark on this journey, go to the cheapest regionally accredited program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Things to consider:

1) Top 15 isn't necessarily an eye opener so long as you have the prerequisites

2) If you lost your passion with med school while shadowing, how do you know you have passion for pharmacy if you've never been in a pharmacy?

3) Many pre-pharms do not have research experience going into pharmacy (let alone a bachelors). Your credentials are above most in this category

4) I cannot tell if your trolling or you really don't understand what a 97 composition score is on the PCAT. Simply put: the score is superb, don't retake

5) Yes, you can still apply this cycle to those schools still open for applicants (look on PharmCAS and apply broadly).

I hope you are not simply running to pharmacy. If you do take this path be cautious of your student debt vs potential income. When it comes down to it and you decide to embark on this journey, go to the cheapest regionally accredited program.
I understand it appears that way. It was more that i was running away from it. It’s always been something I’ve considered and have friends that went that direction right away. Thank you

considered retaking simply because I “didn’t do my best”. It is silly though, I completely understand.

Last edited:
To answer your question, yes you can apply to pharmacy school this cycle. Schools are desperate to fill their seats, eliminating the PCAT requirement and pushing application deadlines deep into summer now. Why anyone would want to spend $200,000 to attend pharmacy school in 2020 is beyond me though.

Years ago, the application deadline would have been January or February, long before the stay at home orders occured in USA this year. Ask yourself OP, why would pharmacy schools still be accepting applicants until July now? Everyone is home so they can apply easily. Why would pharmacy schools accept dental and PT rejects who never even applied to pharmacy school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Please consider all the costs that you will incur to attend pharmacy school. Browse through the forum and see what everyone is saying about the current pharmacy profession and the job outlook.

Please consider all the costs that you will incur to attend pharmacy school. Browse through the forum and see what everyone is saying about the current pharmacy profession and the job outlook.
My mom works in a hospital. She told me she’s been tolD me if I go to a decent school and do well, I’ll get a job. I’m not sure anymore... I know I don’t want to be a doctor but would love something medical. I’m very conflicted now.

My mom works in a hospital. She told me she’s been tolD me if I go to a decent school and do well, I’ll get a job. I’m not sure anymore... I know I don’t want to be a doctor but would love something medical. I’m very conflicted now.
Im not sure if its listed in there but clinical lab scientist aka medical lab scientist is also another healthcare related career.

Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore. Honestly, most employers don't even look at school grades at all. I'm not sure how it works in academia but I would guess it's also not too grade dependent. For me, I've worked as a pharmacist for 6 years now but I'm also exploring other career options as a backup. I would really take a step back and realize what you really want to do. Do not let the pharmacist's job salary in google search fool you. Most new grads are not even making 6 figures a year.

Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore. Honestly, most employers don't even look at school grades at all. I'm not sure how it works in academia but I would guess it's also not too grade dependent. For me, I've worked as a pharmacist for 6 years now but I'm also exploring other career options as a backup. I would really take a step back and realize what you really want to do. Do not let the pharmacist's job salary in google search fool you. Most new grads are not even making 6 figures a year.
Is living in a big city (Chicago) the reason my experience differently? My friend graduated recently and does decent at a local grocery store. What about the school you go to? Unfortunately the best schools’ deadlines have passed. But yes, I will look into other career options!

Im not sure if its listed in there but clinical lab scientist aka medical lab scientist is also another healthcare related career.
Thank you! I will look into it. :)

I completely forgot about PA school...

Members don't see this ad :)
PA schools' competitiveness is on a whole new level compared to Pharm school I believe.
The things that are worth it don’t come easy. I’ll just have to ace the GRE and hopefully my retakes/postbacc will help with the GPA aspect.

The things that are worth it don’t come easy. I’ll just have to ace the GRE and hopefully my retakes/postbacc will help with the GPA aspect.
You don't want to look at other career options that allows for a more easier transition? I'm not trying to deter from going for PA, just wondering.

You don't want to look at other career options that allows for a more easier transition? I'm not trying to deter from going for PA, just wondering.
What do you mean? I had been planning to apply to med school for years therefore my app more resembles a PA/med school applicant than a pharm applicant.

What do you mean? I had been planning to apply to med school for years therefore my app more resembles a PA/med school applicant than a pharm applicant.
Sorry, I mistook you for someone else.

You’d need a lot of healthcare experience for PA school with that GPA. At least a year worth of full time work before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Me:

Have you considered PA school? Yale has a reputable PA school. PA is much shorter than pharmacy with more leverage than a clinical pharmacist who has to justify why they are needed in the hospital and creates no revenue for a hospital. Plus, as a PA you can diagnose and treat patients without liability because you are working under a physician. You just need some clinical work experience as a EMT.

Or if you really like research, do a MS/PhD in pharmacology and work for Big Pharma or in academia. PharmD is a huge waste of time if you want to strictly do basic science research in pharmacology.