noobie question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as you all see in other specialties, there is a mid level encroachment scare. Is Derm unique enough ( im not talking competitiveness in getting into a residency.) to avoid any type of mid level danger? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's basically like any other specialty except the hardcore surg fields. There was some NP thread going around a few years ago. That was interesting.

It's there. I don't think it really bothers us too much. *shrug*

It's basically like any other specialty except the hardcore surg fields. There was some NP thread going around a few years ago. That was interesting.

It's there. I don't think it really bothers us too much. *shrug*
So basically you're saying a NP or other mid level could take a large part of derm business and potentially affect the future? That doesn't sound very good. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically you're saying a NP or other mid level could take a large part of derm business and potentially affect the future? That doesn't sound very good. :(

No field is safe from mid-level encroachment

Sure, you should lobby, you should advocate for safe limits, and you should have a strong unified governing body (and we do). But at the end of the day, all you can do is take the best possible care of the patient and let the dice fall where they may

That being said, I would not recommend selection of a career choice based solely on who your competition may be

No field is safe from mid-level encroachment

Sure, you should lobby, you should advocate for safe limits, and you should have a strong unified governing body (and we do). But at the end of the day, all you can do is take the best possible care of the patient and let the dice fall where they may

That being said, I would not recommend selection of a career choice based solely on who your competition may be
Well nothing would ever be the sole factor.. There's always many factors, and salary and job outlook are pretty pragmatic things to think about. I'm assuming you mean all non surgical fields right? I don't see how surgical fields could have mid level encroachment. Thanks for your comments

No that's not what I'm saying. Derm is somewhat unique in that it's very academic. Mid-levels can do the routine stuff, but they can miss very important things and get in trouble...or more importantly get the patient in trouble really quick.

It takes a lot of studying and training to be able to look for and identify important things. More than a typical mid level training would provide. So the Derm situation is pretty good.

With the slash in destruction codes, mid levels can have the routine warts. :shifty:

And what do you mean by 'other mid level'? Other than NPs, others have to work under a Derm to do med Derm. In fact, most NPs work under derms. It's more of a shift in practice paradigms than taking work from derms. Doesn't matter. Everyone's destined for large hospital ACOs anyway at this point. Haha.

OP, just open any dermoscopy book, there you will find your answer.

We are not as unified as you might think....the nurse lobby is unified. The physician lobby is fragmented with turf war issues. It's important that you support state and national derm societies (not an either/or) because some of the battles are fought on either spectrum. We have to remain active or we (all physicians and us derms) will become third party to decisions. I've noticed that many think they can do derm because it's visible and that's a set up for sub-level care unless it gets set up right. We have to remain an active part of that conversation even if we take reimbursement hits along the way. We can't get so frustrated that we walk away from the table and just let things pan out.

Reactions: 1 user