"Normal" Undergrad vs Pre-optometry Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiff-of-knee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I’m 18 and 1st semester freshman so I’m just learning to college. Optometrist has been my dream job for a year now(I interned/worked at an optometric office junior/senior year and loved it).
Rn I’m going for a chem bachelors at UOP (University of the Pacific), but am considering transferring to another school where I’ll have a shot at entering a pre-optometry program (Pacific U and their Optometry Scholars Program). I’ll still have to get my chem bachelors there, but the program helps w planning, scheduling, internships etc.

I’m doing my own research of course, but I want to ask:
1) anyone who was in some sort of pre-optometry program, what are some pros and cons?and Is the increased competition worth the extra help?
2) people who figured out the road on their own, how difficult was it? And any advice for me?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I’m 18 and 1st semester freshman so I’m just learning to college. Optometrist has been my dream job for a year now(I interned/worked at an optometric office junior/senior year and loved it).
Rn I’m going for a chem bachelors at UOP (University of the Pacific), but am considering transferring to another school where I’ll have a shot at entering a pre-optometry program (Pacific U and their Optometry Scholars Program). I’ll still have to get my chem bachelors there, but the program helps w planning, scheduling, internships etc.

I’m doing my own research of course, but I want to ask:
1) anyone who was in some sort of pre-optometry program, what are some pros and cons?and Is the increased competition worth the extra help?
2) people who figured out the road on their own, how difficult was it? And any advice for me?
Thanks!
Good luck on your journey young one. I go to an undergrad with no pre-optometry program but I had a pre-healthcare adviser that was a big help to me. I believe that you do not need to be in a pre-optometry program because all you need to do is keep a high GPA, get optometry experience, volunteer, and do well on the OAT.