Normality to moles?

Started by pfaction
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pfaction

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I highly doubt N will be on there, but I tried to logic this passage out. It said "25mL of 0.2N H2SO4". So I took that to be 0.1 MOLAR of H2SO4.

I know this is correct since 0.3M H3PO4 is 0.9N. So the way I made a formula is N=[#H needed to neutralize][Molarity acid]

I then did 0.1M/1000 = x/25; where it came out to be 0.0025 moles.

A student neutralized it with 20mL of NaOH. How much NaOH?
So I set it up...2.5x10^-3 / 2x10^-2, got 0.125, and was wrong.

How did I do this wrong?
 
You're neutralizing it all the way have to use N * L get moles and that's how many miles of OH- you needs. I'm like 75% sure about this. It was a question in TBR G CHEM that was destroying me.
 
Right, you need to use normality here because it accounts for the diprotic nature of H2SO4. But it is a somewhat low yield topic, possibly only a discrete or two on it might show up. I really hate complicated tension problems and I'm praying nothing hard shows up for me.
 
You're neutralizing it all the way have to use N * L get moles and that's how many miles of OH- you needs. I'm like 75% sure about this. It was a question in TBR G CHEM that was destroying me.

That's exactly what I had problems with. That's why I made this topic. So I now know we need to use L*N, but why are we using L*N. N = [#H][Molarity] and molarity = moles/L. I don't see how I am wrong.