1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Normality???

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by yorkiepoo, Aug 12, 2006.

1. yorkiepoo

yorkiepoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I keep coming across questions involving NORMALITY in the gen chem section in Kaplan prep. I definately did not learn about normality in my gen chem class and it isnt in my course text book. I cant reallf figure out how to apply it.

Could some one please tell me:

*IS THIS ACTUALLY ON THE EXAM?

*HOW DO YOU DO THESE NORMALITY PROBLEMS? WHAT IS THE TRICK?

Thanks! :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fariba

Fariba Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Normality is the number of acid or base equivalents per liter of solution. Its just another way to relate the amount of solute /volume of solution.

For example, H2SO4 will liberate 2 acid equivalents ---> first it produces HSO4^- + an H+ (1 acid equivalent) ---> then it will produce SO4^2- + H+ (the second acid equivalent.)

So, since each mole of H2SO4 will liberate 2 equivalents of H+, a 3M solution (for example) would be calculated as being 6N (6 Normal.) Normality should always be more than the Molarity.

And in case I didnt help, I am sure you can find some good tutorials online. Try this website:
    http://www.wwnorton.com/chemistry/overview/ch1.htm

- By the way... since Normality and Molarity look very similar, be sure to check and see what the question is really asking for. There very well might be a question on the DAT that includes Normality but you might mistake it for Molarity. Not a big coversion though, so its not difficult to solve.