1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Normality???

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by yorkiepoo, Aug 12, 2006.

1. yorkiepoo

yorkiepoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I keep coming across questions involving NORMALITY in the gen chem section in Kaplan prep. I definately did not learn about normality in my gen chem class and it isnt in my course text book. I cant reallf figure out how to apply it.

Could some one please tell me:

*IS THIS ACTUALLY ON THE EXAM?

*HOW DO YOU DO THESE NORMALITY PROBLEMS? WHAT IS THE TRICK?

Thanks! :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fariba

Fariba Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Normality is the number of acid or base equivalents per liter of solution. Its just another way to relate the amount of solute /volume of solution.

For example, H2SO4 will liberate 2 acid equivalents ---> first it produces HSO4^- + an H+ (1 acid equivalent) ---> then it will produce SO4^2- + H+ (the second acid equivalent.)

So, since each mole of H2SO4 will liberate 2 equivalents of H+, a 3M solution (for example) would be calculated as being 6N (6 Normal.) Normality should always be more than the Molarity.

And in case I didnt help, I am sure you can find some good tutorials online. Try this website:
    http://www.wwnorton.com/chemistry/overview/ch1.htm

- By the way... since Normality and Molarity look very similar, be sure to check and see what the question is really asking for. There very well might be a question on the DAT that includes Normality but you might mistake it for Molarity. Not a big coversion though, so its not difficult to solve.