normality vs molarity question/conundrum

• Thread starter dentalstudent2021
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dentalstudent2021

#165 DAT destroyer.

if 20 ml of .012 M solution of Ca(OH)2 is added to 48 ml of HBr, what is the concentration of the Hbr ?

-- how do I do this and also I thought this was a morality question since its just asking for concentration. how do I differentiate a morality vs normality question.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you mean molarity. Anyways, The formula is still the same. M1V1=M2V2, where M is molarity and V is volume.

In this case though, HBr gives 1 H+ but Ca(OH)2 gives 2 OH-. (If instead you had something like NaOH and HCl, you have a 1:1 ratio of H+ to OH- and you can just use M1V1=M2V2.)

In this special case however, since the ratio of OH- to H+ is 2:1, you have to use the normality of the species. N1V1=N2V2. All you need to do then is since Ca(OH)2 gives off 2 OH-'s, you multiply its M (NOT VOLUME) by 2 to get it's N. This is just to account for it having more OH-'s than HBr has H+'s. Sorry if that is confusing, I just like to remember that if the ratio isn't 1:1, think about normality.

So your equation becomes...

N1V1=N2V2
(.012M x 2)( .02L)=(N2)(.048L)
(.024M)(.02L)=(N2)(.048L)
(.00048 MxL)=(N2)(.048L)
(.00048 M x L)/(.048L)= N2
N2= 0.01M (since HBr only gives 1 H+, you don't need to adjust for it's normality)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user