North Dakota Practical Examination??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heysupdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I attended NDSU and have been aware of this exam for quite a while. However, our college never really mentions much about it during the first 3 years of school. I have been told that they will have us P4 students come back for a review session one day and that we will be told more about it then. This springs mass exam is being held on the 18th and 19th of May.

I have heard from previous students that the exam is a joke and that it is nothing to worry about. I'm not sure if it really is a joke, but I do know the ND board members are really nice and I'm sure they will make it a comfortable situation (not a nerve racking situation).

For the errors and omissions, you will have a prescription, a labeled prescription bottle with med inside, and a stock bottle of medication. You will have to identify any of the following errors:
L- label error: an error on the labeling of the prescription bottle
V- vial error: wrong packaging for medication (which is mostly just safety cap or not)
P- prescription error: and error on the prescription (missing information, or incorrect information)
D- drug error: wrong medication chosen

I might be able to find a good document that details many possible examples of each of these if you would like it.

For the compounding section, I have been told that in our review session, we will be given a list of 5 things they might ask us to make. If this is true, when I find out I can let you know.

For the oral exam, you go in front of a few board members in a group of students (not sure how many) and they ask you questions. I think they direct the question at a particular student but then if that student doesn't know then other students can help. I have heard this is really easy and laid back.

What pharmacy school did you go to? Do you have a job lined up in ND or are you just getting licensed here just in case for the future?

Where on the east coast are you going to school? My family is originally from Virgina/North Carolina, but we moved up here 26 years ago :( I am planning on staying near here- eastern ND or northern MN. I have applied and interviewed for one hospital pharmacist position and have applied for a residency. Are you looking at going into retail or hospital pharmacy? I think in some areas of ND there are job opportunities. In the city I live in -Fargo- there are virtually no retail jobs- because of the pharmacy school here- it is pretty saturated. If you want to go to some of the smaller cities or a rural area- there are more openings.

We have an ownership law here that makes it so that a pharmacist has to own 51% of a pharmacy- which makes it impossible for big chain companies to open stores here. So, we have tons of great independent pharmacies all over. There has been lots of legislative stuff the last few years trying to overturn the law- but so far it still stands. We think it is pretty nice.

The people here are really great, but the weather here sucks. It can get up to 110 and down to -50 degrees (maybe colder even). Most of the winter it is below 0. We have had over 50 inches of snow this year (and that was before it snowed for the last 5 days straight). But, the cost of living is pretty good and you cannot beat the people here- I have never met such nice people anywhere else.

I plan to build my dream home someday too- hopefully on a large chunk of land with lots of grass and big trees all around it.

I have attached the E&O's document. I got an email a few days ago saying our "P4 didactic day" is March 18th- so I should have more information for you after that!

Attachments

• E&O.pdf
    249.8 KB · Views: 86