North Shore/LIJ Internal Medicine Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what about heme onc research opportunities at northwell/hofstra, are there clinical trials? Is it possible at all to do research at nearby NCI designated cancer center, such as einstein or mskcc during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

what about heme onc research opportunities at northwell/hofstra, are there clinical trials? Is it possible at all to do research at nearby NCI designated cancer center, such as einstein or mskcc during residency?
Cold spring harbor

I thought cold spring harbor is only for bench research..
speaking of research during residency, what kind of research do residents usually do at their spare time without taking time off, is it mostly retrospective cohort study or case control , or just case report?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump? Can any current residents comment on the strengths/weaknesses of the program?

Program has improved over the last few years in general. Procedural training is severely lacking as the combined EM/IM residents do most of the procedures. However, most combined em/im residents are happy to teach procedures, but it is the rare IM resident that takes them up on it.

However, most combined em/im residents are happy to teach procedures, but it is the rare IM resident that takes them up on it.

False. False false false false x 100. I am a senior going into a procedural specialty and I literally BEGGED one of the more notorious EM/IM residents to please let me help on procedure team, teach me midlines, LPs, anything. His reply? A breezy, “Sorry, I gotta get my intern certified first.” As if that ED intern wouldn’t have a million and one opportunities to do LPs in the ED. Or other ICU rotations.

But at least he had the decency to reply. Some of the other EMs or EM/IM residents don’t even give you the courtesy of that. You walk into the room of a new ICU admit who arrived 30s ago and boom - they’re already gowned up and placing the central line. Even though it’s not their patient. Even though none of the orders or notes are done yet. Of course... they leave the other interns to those silly nuisances.

Now I am a senior and fairly aggressive about allowing my interns to do whatever procedure they like (as long as it’s appropriate and they can be supervised). It’s true, some are not interested, usually the prelims. But the last time I asked a few of my categorical interns, I got the mournful reply: “I’d love to, but they always get taken by the EM residents or NPs...”

If the residents don’t get enough procedural training, it is certainly not from lack of interest. It is from aggressive residents in other departments and lack of administrative support (“Oh it’s just easier if IR comes to do it...”)

False. False false false false x 100. I am a senior going into a procedural specialty and I literally BEGGED one of the more notorious EM/IM residents to please let me help on procedure team, teach me midlines, LPs, anything. His reply? A breezy, “Sorry, I gotta get my intern certified first.” As if that ED intern wouldn’t have a million and one opportunities to do LPs in the ED. Or other ICU rotations.

But at least he had the decency to reply. Some of the other EMs or EM/IM residents don’t even give you the courtesy of that. You walk into the room of a new ICU admit who arrived 30s ago and boom - they’re already gowned up and placing the central line. Even though it’s not their patient. Even though none of the orders or notes are done yet. Of course... they leave the other interns to those silly nuisances.

Now I am a senior and fairly aggressive about allowing my interns to do whatever procedure they like (as long as it’s appropriate and they can be supervised). It’s true, some are not interested, usually the prelims. But the last time I asked a few of my categorical interns, I got the mournful reply: “I’d love to, but they always get taken by the EM residents or NPs...”

If the residents don’t get enough procedural training, it is certainly not from lack of interest. It is from aggressive residents in other departments and lack of administrative support (“Oh it’s just easier if IR comes to do it...”)

There are also fewer opportunities to do central lines because the ICUs utilize sonographically peripherally placed 1.88inch peripheral IVs to run vasopressors with. Anything to keep the CLABSI rate down (not a bad strategy) but it also takes away from central line use.

Do you still have to do "Chart Check" notes in the afternoon for PGY2/3 on floors?

This program wants to focus less on scutwork and procedures and have you focus more on research. Admirable. Only a future cardiologist or PCCM needs to be so gung ho about these bedside procedures anyway.

Look at the bright side, you have excellent POCUS education there.

Bump? Can any current residents comment on the strengths/weaknesses of the program?

Not current anymore as resident or fellow but practice as private attending.

But reflecting back on my time, the primary care education and MICU education were what stood out.
But being an academic tertiary care center (is it Quaternary now that it has many of the transplants or other advanced subspecialties?) , you'll get a well rounded education.
Fellowship match is also quite good.
But do not expect to be trained to be a top level NIH researcher at this institution. But this place can develop you to be a well rounded teaching physician or well adjusted private practice physician in any specialty you want/can get into.

The hours are also significantly better than many other busier NYC IM residency programs
the 4+1 system for categorical residents really keeps the hours down.
While on a busy MICU week you might hit 60-80 hours, the clinic week usually is 30-40 hours
Floors tend to be around 60 hours a week.
Golden weekends are available as an intern.
You cant do much worse than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
I know this thread is pretty old, but can anyone let me know the chances of an US-IMG matching into this program, in the website it indicates IMGs have matched presently, but doesn't indicate the statistics, so not sure of the probability of matching. If there is a chance of IMGs matching, is there an average score for Step 1 & 2 (as this program seems very competitive) , I am planning on apply for the 2022 Match, and this area and hospital is my top priority for personal reasons. I would very much appreciate it if anyone can let me know.
Thank You in advance.

Hello,
I know this thread is pretty old, but can anyone let me know the chances of an US-IMG matching into this program, in the website it indicates IMGs have matched presently, but doesn't indicate the statistics, so not sure of the probability of matching. If there is a chance of IMGs matching, is there an average score for Step 1 & 2 (as this program seems very competitive) , I am planning on apply for the 2022 Match, and this area and hospital is my top priority for personal reasons. I would very much appreciate it if anyone can let me know.
Thank You in advance.
Unlikely to match. You can check the past few years roster, almost all of them are from local NY schools and zero IMGs. You will have greater success hearing back from the other LIJ owned hospitals such as Staten Island or Forest Hills.

Reactions: 1 user
How does this place compare to the five city programs now? A friend at this program tells me its comparable to monte? Don't know how biased he is.

How does this place compare to the five city programs now? A friend at this program tells me its comparable to monte? Don't know how biased he is.
Biased. But still a good program. The quality of training, caliber of resident and (much less importantly) impressiveness of fellowship match lists are generally uncompatable to nyc programs including Monte. It’s still the next best program in the nyc metro and would be preferable over other academic lite programs like stony brook and downstate. On par maybe slightly behind RWJ

Biased. But still a good program. The quality of training, caliber of resident and (much less importantly) impressiveness of fellowship match lists are generally uncompatable to nyc programs including Monte. It’s still the next best program in the nyc metro and would be preferable over other academic lite programs like stony brook and downstate. On par maybe slightly behind RWJ
3 years later, wondering how it compares to monte