Northeastern University or Stony Brook University

Which school for pre-med?

• Northeastern University

• Stony Brook University

Results are only viewable after voting.

elegantpolak

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have committed to Stony Brook University, however, I just got off the waitlist for Northeastern. I am very stuck between the two because both are great schools and offer me a lot academically.
Stony Brook - I would be paying around 15k a year and it is closer to home as I live in New York.
Northeastern - I still did not get my financial aid package, but I got a scholarship and estimated my cost of attending which would come out to about 30-35k.

I know Northeastern is a very good school academically and prestige-wise, but would there be a difference attending Stony Brook in my medical school applications? Also, costs are important as my parents are not very wealthy, but are able to help me pay for college.

Overall, I just want to know which would be better for my future and medical school applications in an all-around approach. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a Northeastern alum and was recently accepted to medical school. I cannot speak for Stony Brook, but I can definitely recommend going to Northeastern. The co-op programs are amazing and one of the best aspects of the school. The co-op programs allow you to get a 6 month internship in many jobs/fields of work, and you can do 1-3 of them. There is a huge list of internships Northeastern students can apply to and many involve hospitals, clinics, and pharmaceutical , lab, or clinical research. Boston is full of clinical and research opportunities, and Northeastern makes it much easier to get one compared to many other colleges. The pre-med program there is great too! The advisors are all kind and very eager to help you succeed. Many professors at Northeastern are passionate about teaching and helping their students too, and it was easy for me to go into office hours to talk to them and eventually get letter of recommendations. The opportunities at Northeastern are endless and I cannot recommend it enough to anyone, not just people interested in pursuing medicine. However, cost is definitely a factor, and I am sure others can speak for Stony Brook. If you have any questions about Northeastern feel free to PM me!

Stony Brook is the best NY state school for premed, you're not going to be held back by going there over Northeastern. Personally, money is always a factor for me, I went to Stony Brook for premed because I had to pay full CoA and wanted to take out as little loans as possible. Plenty of my classmates went to top 20 med schools. NE being an extra ~80k overall is nothing to sneeze at.

Location-wise, it's sort of the middle of nowhere imo as someone from NYC. So if that matters take that into consideration.

Reactions: 1 user