Northwestern Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotassay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received their financial aid awards and received anything other than loans? Does NW offer scholarships/grants?

I got my award today and only got loans :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

i believe they only give loans.

i'm busy fighting with those fin aid bastards about whether or not i am independent. here in the real world, i exceed their criteria for independence, however, in their weird financial aid parallel universe, they are trying to claim that i have not made the requisite amount of money for the requisite number of months.

what's your problem northwestern?!?! i was there. at work. all the damn time. i sent you the pay stubs!!! what more do you want from me?!?!? :mad:

I just got the run-around when I called them to ask about scholarships/grants. They said that those come directly from NWU and that they (as a fin aid office) only give out loans. When I asked about who I could contact about the scholarships/grants, they told me that the school does not wish to be contacted about that stuff. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
the only scholarship recipient i know of is a minority. he got all 4 years paid for.

i've heard that the school does give out some year long scholarships...but one cannot apply for these as from what i hear. the school picks and chooses themselves. i dont know all the details because i do not know who exactly in the class received these scholarships.

but as some of you may realize now...financial aid at nu sucks...for me it didnt matter because my parents' assets were too big so no matter where i would go i'd have to borrow the max anyways and as long as it wasnt a UC I'd have to be paying the same price as nu. but for others the finances may make a difference. as some of u may also have realized...the projected 61k budget is high. the school estimates on the high side.

Wow that sucks, so schools like Stanford and Cornell that give need-based grants sometimes in excess of 20K aren't really the norm at all right?

Most privates just give subsidized school loans?

UCLAMAN said:
for me it didnt matter because my parents' assets were too big

UCLAMAN,
will you be my sugar daddy next year?