Northwestern Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you interview at Northwestern yet? Any of you FROM MICHIGAN by any chance? What are your stats? I haven't heard anything and I applied in Sept 1st. Grr..

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey don't worry about it kreno, i sent my app in about the same as you and I got my interview today...just a slow committee I guess

Wow, chill dude. You're like the least patient person on SDN :)

You're going to give yourself an ulcer.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was complete on 8/23 and no word yet.......

they just started their interviews two weeks ago, so tomorrow is like day 4 of interviewing.

i absolutely hated the day, and withdrew my application shortly after visiting.

whoa...what did u hate about it? i'm scheduled to interview there this coming friday. was the panel interview rough? or was it the school itself? i've never heard anything bad about the school, so i'd appreciate some feedback.

i was fortunate to receive an interview from NU. i have stats near their average, good gpa, and great E.C's--which i think they are big on. i also spent a good deal of time on the secondary essays and turned them in as soon as i was finished.

if you are near their caliber/level/type applicant, you should not have a problem getting an interview.

i dont think they discriminate in-state versus out of state applicants, so it shouldn't really matter whether or not interviewees are from michigan, etc.

i used to be as frantic/anxious/worrisome as you (i still am to some extent)..but i would strongly advise to not bring about un-needed stress during this process--it makes things just a lot worse. i was in distress at not getting an interview at my top choice school:( , but hey you have let the chips fall where they may :p

My app was complete on 8/26 and nada for me either. But a guy I know who goes to my school has an interview scheduled sometime in Novemeber, so I think we all just have to be a little more patient. :p

marakah2 - I'm also very curious about why you really disliked NW.

i wasn't really impressed with the students that i met-i got the impression that they were a little on the snotty/preppy/fake side. also, we got to see the dorms for the first years during our tour-which were not that great. but i got the impression that you sort of had to live there, since that is how all of the students get to know each other. the thought of moving into a dorm and having to buy a food plan (which is required) is not at all appealing.

the panel interview was actually pretty easy, moreso than one on one interviews perhaps. i don't really think it is a good way to get to know the candidates however. and the group problem solving while the panel watches is just silly.

overall i just would not be happy going to school there, but it just depends on what you're looking for. the curriculum and hospital are nice-but i don't think i could stand going to school with some of those people i met and i don't like the idea of the dorms (which are not required, but are encouraged---from what i could tell)

i guess it was just an overall feeling i got------but definitely go and see for yourself!!

Originally posted by marakah2
i wasn't really impressed with the students that i met-i got the impression that they were a little on the snotty/preppy/fake side. also, we got to see the dorms for the first years during our tour-which were not that great. but i got the impression that you sort of had to live there, since that is how all of the students get to know each other. the thought of moving into a dorm and having to buy a food plan (which is required) is not at all appealing.

the panel interview was actually pretty easy, moreso than one on one interviews perhaps. i don't really think it is a good way to get to know the candidates however. and the group problem solving while the panel watches is just silly.

overall i just would not be happy going to school there, but it just depends on what you're looking for. the curriculum and hospital are nice-but i don't think i could stand going to school with some of those people i met and i don't like the idea of the dorms (which are not required, but are encouraged---from what i could tell)

How does the panel interview work? What kind of problem do you solve in front of the panel?

Originally posted by mws99
How does the panel interview work? What kind of problem do you solve in front of the panel?

They give group problem solving questions that the interviewees are to come up with a solution for. They want to see how well you work in a group, so you should make sure you listen to everyone, don't talk too much, use other people's ideas with your own, etc.

ouch, the dorm and meal plan idea don't sound appealing. oh well, i'll have to check out the place myself.

btw, what kinds of questions did they ask during the group interview? i have this impression that they ask one question and each applicant takes his/her turn answering it (so that the third applicant gets shafted). thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about northwestern, but I know emory's group interview isn't bad. They ask each person a different question. What you say may elicit another question, or they move on when they feel they have spent two minutes or so on you. The third person doesn't get shafted.

The group problem solving deal sounds a bit strange.

Thanks for the low down on NU. I'll definitely think twice before paying for the ticket to check it out. I concur that dorm life isn't appealing. How many people don't live in the dorms (chicago is a nice city).

the panel that i had did a pretty poor job of asking us all different questions, but often the questions that we all had to answer were in-depth enough to ellicit different answers from each of us.

if you get an interview, i'm not trying to say you shouldn't go-but i didn't like NU as much as some others.

as i said too, youdon't HAVE to live in the dorms, but they said the majority of students do since its conveinent (right around the corner from class) and inexpensive.

What schools have live in dorms/ cheap housing? I actually wouldn't mind living in dorms..it was fun when i was in college...kind of miss it actually...minus the bathroom situation where people would crap and not flush...or pile the toilet paper in the toilet and dry it out...and then someone would crap in it and you would see these logs... dang that was disgusting...

anyway can anyone answer that question? or if its easier...which schools do not have on campus housing accomodations?

Originally posted by johnstoner
What schools have live in dorms/ cheap housing? I actually wouldn't mind living in dorms..it was fun when i was in college...kind of miss it actually...minus the bathroom situation where people would crap and not flush...or pile the toilet paper in the toilet and dry it out...and then someone would crap in it and you would see these logs... dang that was disgusting...

I'll take "Things You Didn't Need to Write on SDN" for 500, Alex.

The panel interview at NU was 3 on 3 last year. Consisted of 2 faculty and 1 4th year student. There is also an individual meeting with the dean or assistant dean for 15 minutes. The dean and assistant dean has you're complete application, the panel does not. The panel is not as bad as it sounds. Questions are asked randomly to the interviewees. Usually the typical questions. The problem solving comes at the end. The propose a situation or question and you must solve it as a group, ex what do you consider the top 5 medical issues today. As said before, you must listen to the other member's suggestions and input your own and come to a compromise. Depending on when your panel interview is you may have sometime to meet your panel members and get comfortable. Above all Relax. The hospital is pretty nice, but I didn't like the dorm idea and living in downtown chi is expensive. An above poster mentioned that the students seemed snooty, I kinda got that from some of them. The Dean is really nice and tries to sell you on the finer qualities of NU. The interview day is loooong, so wear comfortable shoes. It started early last year and a breakfast was provide (bagels etc), also lunch with current students.
Good luck to all and stay calm

For me, the dorm was a selling point. It is located on Lake Shore Drive, arguably the most beautiful street in the entire city. As a dorm resident there is a good chance you will get a lake view for dirt cheap, compared to other buildings on LSD.

i didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments, just thought i'd put a perspective out there.....

i agree that there are certain advantages to living in the student housing, but for someone who is used to a "full" apartment, I don't think i could stand to live there, and it wasn't just that aspect that turned me away from NU.

BUT---i am not trying to talk anyone else out of the place, go see for yourself

I heard that a lot of students actually stay on the Evanston campus and then ride the "L" in for school. Is this true? Is this feasible even? I think i heard the ride is only around 20 mins or so. :cool:

Originally posted by johnstoner
What schools have live in dorms/ cheap housing?

cornell did. you get a one bed "dormish" type room with a twin bed, desk, dresser, and bookshelf( all movable), share a bathroom with a suitemate, and a kitchen on each floor. total cost of rent, utilities, and ethernet according to my student host came out to less than 500 a month........in FARKIN MANHATTAN! You can barely PARK in that area for 500 a month :D

Originally posted by marq_bme
I heard that a lot of students actually stay on the Evanston campus and then ride the "L" in for school. Is this true? Is this feasible even? I think i heard the ride is only around 20 mins or so. :cool:

There is the el, but I think the intercampus shuttle is even nicer. I took it for a job interview on the med campus and it was great. I don't know how it would be with Lake Shore Drive traffic in the morning, though. On hours where there is no shuttle there is a cta bus.

I think the NU "dorms" sound sweet. Now, if only they would give me an interview...
It's so weird applying there b.c i actually got into their HPME program in high school and decided not to go. If I had, I would be in my second year of med school there now!!! Bizarre!
I wonder if they know that about me? And if they did, would they be like, "This ho had the chance to come here before - there's no way we're gonna interview her again!" :(

Ok I've seen Northwestern's main campus once before but never physically seen their med skool (which apparently is at some great distance from the university, right?), and they just gave me an interview (in december, so i will be freezing my arse off). I applied there partly because my boss is from chi town and absolutely demanded that I apply to at least one school there (she's like my second mommy :D ). So, where EXACTLY is the med school if its not in Evanston? What part of the city is it in? I dont know the city very well although I've had an awesome time there before, any insights on the area would be appreciated :)

Originally posted by Bounty
And if they did, would they be like, "This ho had the chance to come here before - there's no way we're gonna interview her again!" :(

:laugh: :laugh:

Just the visual image i'm picturing of the NU adcom sitting in a conference room in business casual attire and white coats saying these exact words is making me giddy ;)

Awww D-dubs, bringing a smile to your face has made my day. :)

Originally posted by DW
Ok I've seen Northwestern's main campus once before but never physically seen their med skool (which apparently is at some great distance from the university, right?), and they just gave me an interview (in december, so i will be freezing my arse off). I applied there partly because my boss is from chi town and absolutely demanded that I apply to at least one school there (she's like my second mommy :D ). So, where EXACTLY is the med school if its not in Evanston? What part of the city is it in? I dont know the city very well although I've had an awesome time there before, any insights on the area would be appreciated :)

from my understanding, it's in northern chicago, and in a really nice cushy part of town. also, right on lake michigan.

and i'm used to freezing my arse off in dec - i'm from michigan. :) but DANG should have not gone w/the skirt. :D

which airport should i fly to for an interview at NW...Ohare or Midway?

I know that southwest has really good deals with midway, and american has awesome deals with ohare? Just wondering which airport is more convenient? Are there any shuttles or public transportation from any of these airports that can lead me to the med school?

Dirtybob

Originally posted by dirtybob
which airport should i fly to for an interview at NW...Ohare or Midway?

I know that southwest has really good deals with midway, and american has awesome deals with ohare? Just wondering which airport is more convenient? Are there any shuttles or public transportation from any of these airports that can lead me to the med school?

Dirtybob

hmm...im from milwaukee, and so far ive been flying out of both chicago airports for all my interviews(much much cheaper). i would say take which ever is cheapest but in my personal opinion, going downtown by driving north from midway is much easier than driving east from ohare. a lot easier actually. i have no idea about public transport though. anyone gonna be at NU between dec 4-6? ill see ya there! :)

The medical school is NOT located in Evanston (North Chicago suburb). The school is located right in Downtown Chicago, behind Water Tower, nearby the John Hancock building overlooking the lake and right by Michigan Avenue--pretty sweet! The dorms do look dreary, but I think they are a great opportunity, affordable, and right in downtown! Most med students live near campus, rather than in Evanston.

Originally posted by DW
So, where EXACTLY is the med school if its not in Evanston? What part of the city is it in? I dont know the city very well although I've had an awesome time there before, any insights on the area would be appreciated :) [/B]

Northwestern's med campus location is one of the best things about it! It is right on the lake, about a block from the Water Tower in downtown Chicago...I would recommend going to their website and looking it up on a map. It's acutally in a pretty good place in the city. Walking around the downtown campus had me in awe, and I'm even a Chicagoan!

Northwestern is in pretty much the most affluent area of Chicago, the Gold Coast, just north of the loop (AKA Downtown Chicago). North Michigan ave and the water tower are about one block west of the med school building and the lake is one block east.

To get to the med school by public transporation you take the red line of the L and get off at chicago ave--which is at the intersection between State and Chicago) you walk three blocks West (towards the Hancock building as you walk up from the subway--the tallest building in the area). The med school building is 303 E Chicago ave (State street is 0E/W) and it is right at Chicago and Fairbanks.

If you come from Ohare you take the Blue line to downtown and transfer for free at the washington station to the red line going North towards Howard (It takes around an hour). Coming from Midway you take the Orange line but I don't know where you would transfer to the Red, I've never taken the orange line before. Midway flights tend to be cheaper than O'hare so if money is a concern I would fly into midway. According to signs on the train cars it takes 30 mins from midway to downtown on the Orange line.

I hope this helps you some, if you want more info about public transportation in chicago the CTA's website is www.transitchicago.com and NU's website has driving and public transportation info on it somewhere, I don't quite rememeber where though.

And just for my own, biased view of the school, I love it and love the people, I don't think people are snobby at all. I was definately concerned about it because I didn't come from a big name school as many of my classmates did and was very intimidated before coming for orientation. And I wouldn't say more than 80% of our class lives in the "dorm." I don't and I don't feel left out at all.

Hey Marakah2,

So I assume that if your married they wouldn't make you live in a freakin dorm right? Dont' think my soon to be wife(June 14) will like that idea. Furthermore, do you mean that if your living in the dorm---then you have to have the meal plan deal? Thanks, just curious and a bit startled by your earlier post, I'm applying there to matriculate 2004.

As i said---you DO NOT have to live in the dorm.

But, if you do---you HAVE to buy the meal plan.

Definitely, definitely go to see the school for yourself. While it was not the place for me, you may like it more than I did.

There was just an overall atmosphere that I noticed during my day that didn't suit my personality, but this is different for everyone.