Northwestern Post-Bacc 2012 - Opinions Please!

Started by mdanitka
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mdanitka

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I've looked all over this site for more info but was curious. Anyone else starting the program or already gone through it? How are the classes/application process? Any success stories out there? I'm really trying to find out more about the program and how it stands currently, but alas, no luck really. Any information would be seriously appreciated. Thanks!
 
Bump this.... I sent this as a PM to a student who I think went there, but thought I'd post it here in case anyone else can chime in.

Finding surprisingly LITTLE information on the Northwestern post-bac program online... at least compared to all of the other programs' websites, Northwestern isn't giving up much. The questions that I can't seem to find answers to online are:

- class sizes?
- are the post-bac students integrated with undergrad?
- calculus... required? is the physics calc based?
- doesn't sound like there is MCAT prep... is that correct?
- how is the academic/advising support? (committee LOR, help with application, tutoring available, etc)

Lots of questions, but it's hard to weigh your options when you don't know what the options really entail! Any insight you have would be much appreciated!

(I am not local to IL, so would like to find out as much as I can before booking a ticket there...)

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bump this.... I sent this as a PM to a student who I think went there, but thought I'd post it here in case anyone else can chime in.

Finding surprisingly LITTLE information on the Northwestern post-bac program online... at least compared to all of the other programs' websites, Northwestern isn't giving up much. The questions that I can't seem to find answers to online are:

- class sizes?
- are the post-bac students integrated with undergrad?
- calculus... required? is the physics calc based?
- doesn't sound like there is MCAT prep... is that correct?
- how is the academic/advising support? (committee LOR, help with application, tutoring available, etc)

Lots of questions, but it's hard to weigh your options when you don't know what the options really entail! Any insight you have would be much appreciated!

(I am not local to IL, so would like to find out as much as I can before booking a ticket there...)

Thanks!


Hey TodoLoPuedo, did the person from the program you PM respond? I'd really like to get back some info as well. Let me know, thanks!
 
Hey TodoLoPuedo, did the person from the program you PM respond? I'd really like to get back some info as well. Let me know, thanks!
DO NOT DO IT! okay with that being said...i went through the program and regret it 100%. Classes are curved to a C+, I wish someone had told me that before I started. I had to work almost full-time while in classes, and it was horrible. I did not come from a science background, and found the "intro" classes to be extremely advanced for intro classes. I took a few class at UCONN before relocating here and got A's. I am not an idiot. It was extremely difficult to even get B's, considering everyone there studies 24/7. Its not worth ruining your gpa, and subsequently your med school chances. I have to admit though that the classes are pretty good in terms of preparing you for MCATs. IMO I would rather get A's and study extra hard for the MCAT.
 
I just heard back from you and a few others and most seem to say very similar things to what you just stated. I will be going to HES instead, plenty of info and help from others about this post-bacc. Thank you for the warning, definitely appreciate it and good luck to you!
 
Anymore feedback on this program?

I don't like that curve, to be quite honest. However, I've heard (universally) that NU's post bacc has really prepared people for the MCAT, which I like. I'm not afraid of working really hard in class...but I'm just not sure that I want to risk my sGPA because of a curve.