Northwestern post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny pollen

sleeping soundly
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody else coming along for the ride? Or is the competition so scanty that it'll be me, myself, and I paying tens of thousands of dollars?

And is "algebra-based physics" a terrible, terrible mistake?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there will be two of us at least.

I don't think the algebra-based physics is a problem. If you were taking physics as part of a regular undergrad pre-med curriculum, it would look better to take the more challenging course...i.e., calculus-based physics.

I've researched many post-bacs, and every program that actually specifies provides an algebra-based course. While calculus is required by some med schools, I think it is too restricting of a pre-requisite for most post-bacs. This is my impression. I could be wrong.

If you are worried that an algebra-based physics course is indicative of a weak post-bac program, I have read elsewhere on SDN that the organic chemistry is renowned for its difficulty.

You're not alone. :) Although I'm just taking their intro bio class this summer since they want me to take it prior to their main bio sequence (and I can't really enroll in the formal program this fall).

Nothing wrong with algebra-based physics. However, if you've not had calculus, some medical schools do like you to have taken it, so you may want to take it on your own. (I had it ages ago. ick)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be in the intro bio, too: was just told that they can't admit me until that class is completed (so financial aid, &c., will have to wait until August). And I spoke with the admissions coordinator yesterday, and she said that the average incoming class is 35-40 strong, so we will definitely not be alone.

I chose Northwestern because of the night classes (I'm going to be working full time -- and then some -- while I do this) and because NWU has a solid reputation.

How about you? Did you look at other programs?

what exactly is the program called? i can't find anything under post-bacc under nu's website. thanks!

johnny pollen said:
I'll be in the intro bio, too: was just told that they can't admit me until that class is completed (so financial aid, &c., will have to wait until August). And I spoke with the admissions coordinator yesterday, and she said that the average incoming class is 35-40 strong, so we will definitely not be alone.

I chose Northwestern because of the night classes (I'm going to be working full time -- and then some -- while I do this) and because NWU has a solid reputation.

sepsis said:
what exactly is the program called? i can't find anything under post-bacc under nu's website. thanks!

It's a "professional development program," but you can find more details here. Today's the last day to apply, so get those transcripts together... :oops:

johnny pollen said:

35-40 other students, eh? I've never heard of the textbook we're using, but I'll have a chance to look through it tonight at least.

I chose it because it has a good reputation and the location is easier for me to get to from where I work. I really only looked at it or Loyola, but the NWU classes looked better. Work is paying for it.