Northwestern vs. Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmagic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Super grateful for a good cycle and to be able to consider these institutions. I've narrowed it down to these two and would love some input on what people think/if they have any impressions that may help guide my decision-making. Coming into this I really wanted to live in a city (and still do) and am also considering a career in surgery.

Feinberg SOM at Northwestern

Pros:
-content/not stressed students
-loved the curriculum (minus PBL i guess), systems-based curriculum with early clinical exposure
-amazing location, right in downtown chicago
-cost of living for location is better than other cities, and apartments/facilities are AMAZING
-beautiful hospital/facilities
-so much to do/great food
-amazing match list
-students seemed happy, very large focus on mental health
-know for a fact i will be happy here

Cons:
-very, very cold
-will probably be more expensive in terms of tuition
-a lot of people tend to match in the midwest, and ultimately I'd like to leave midwest (unless I was staying in Chicago)
-Possibly less diverse class of students? Can someone comment on this?
-Less diverse patient population I've heard?
-giving me some money, but would be 65k more expensive than Duke

Duke SOM:

Pros:
-super super happy/friendly student body (loved the people)
-superb facilities
-great administration
-low cost of living
-very nice/decent housing nearby
-awesome curriculum, really nice to get in the wards second year
-weather is the best out of the two
-reputation (if significant at all)? Would this be something I should consider?
-research is amazing here
-amazing match list
-Giving me much more money

Cons:
-Durham is not the city that Chicago is, location is a huge negative
-possibly less diverse than chicago
-does clinical education/training have to be sacrificed for the research year?
-Know that I won't be as happy here

I really liked Duke, but I'm very worried about feeling like I gave something up about spending my mid-twenties in Durham. I know there's tons to do, but I feel I would get bored of the area really quick.

Once again, I'm super grateful for any input! This post was not meant to be showy/annoying and purely for informing me and others in similar situations!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say the prestige difference between Duke and NW is negligible. My SO lives in Chapel Hill and I can say the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is a lot more... southern and rural than I expected (I'm from the northeast). There's stuff to do there, but in my experience it seemed just like a large college town in the middle of a sea of red. Unless you really like research and think a year of it will do your career good, go to the location you think you'll be happier at! The opportunities and match list both have are superb, so you can't go wrong with either.

Is being in a "sea of red" bad? I'm not sure how being in a republican state translates to a bad thing?

Is being in a "sea of red" bad? I'm not sure how being in a republican state translates to a bad thing?

It's bad if you're a person of color and/or a gender/sexual minority. Red states are far less tolerable of who you are intrinsically if you fall into one of those categories. It also could be frustrating if you have a vested interest in health equity; GOP goals and allocation of money stand very starkly in contrast to what it will take to begin eliminating the health gap in this country. That said, the research triangle seemed to be extremely progressive! Just be mindful in the surrounding areas. I know Duke made a vested effort at second look and on my interview day to present themselves as a progressive institution in a not-so-progressive area. I really appreciated how candid Duke admins were about the nature of the area and how their values as an institution are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I agree with @liquidcrawler! Both schools are really top-notch and I don't think it's fair to say one is much more prestigious than the other. I think I'd lean towards Duke personally based on the factors you described, but both really amazing schools and you can't go wrong with either

Members don't see this ad :)
It's bad if you're a person of color and/or a gender/sexual minority. Red states are far less tolerable of who you are intrinsically if you fall into one of those categories. It also could be frustrating if you have a vested interest in health equity; GOP goals and allocation of money stand very starkly in contrast to what it will take to begin eliminating the health gap in this country. That said, the research triangle seemed to be extremely progressive! Just be mindful in the surrounding areas. I know Duke made a vested effort at second look and on my interview day to present themselves as a progressive institution in a not-so-progressive area. I really appreciated how candid Duke admins were about the nature of the area and how their values as an institution are different.
As someone who’s lived in both, that’s coastal elitist propaganda bull crap. There’s prejudice against certain groups present in both red and blue lands, but to blanketly paint one or the other as so is ignorant and unfair. This is the USA, it’s a privilege to live anywhere. No where is perfect, but it’s not 1965.

Besides, Durham is 49.7% POC and NC as a whole is 30%.

As someone who’s lived in both, that’s coastal elitist propaganda bull crap. There’s prejudice against certain groups present in both red and blue lands, but to blanketly paint one or the other as so is ignorant and unfair. This is the USA, it’s a privilege to live anywhere. No where is perfect, but it’s not 1965.

Besides, Durham is 49.7% POC and NC as a whole is 30%.

Funny, considering I've never lived on the either coast, or in a blue state. I formed that opinion living red states and visiting more progressive areas. I specifically avoided making blanket assumptions by alluding to how progressive the research triangle is. Living in cities in red states is great, but don't expect to feel comfortable when you drive out to rural XYZ. Did I say that POC didn't live there? No. I didn't. Just because POC live there, it doesn't mean that POC feel completely accepted or free of prejudice living there. Of course prejudice exists everywhere; it's shining bright in our country under current RED leadership. That said, there is also a whole lot more prejudice in more conservative parts of this country, and you're flat wrong to deny that. You probably don't know that because you haven't experienced it.

This all said, I loved my experience in Durham and am prepared to attend Duke over some East Coast schools in very progressive areas, because I think Duke and Durham have amazing things to offer. I wasn't trying to trash the South, or conservative states; I just want to give my honest opinion about WHY some people might consider living in a predominantly red areas bad. That was my genuine two cents as someone who is LGBT and an ethnic minority, so please don't tell me I'm spewing 'coastal elitist propaganda' because you don't like or understand my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users