SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Northwestern vs. UCLA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BmeGuru, May 30, 2008.

1. BmeGuru

Mar 1, 2007
    Looking for a somewhat intelligent discussion here. Would you pick UCLA for med school? Why? Would you pick Northwestern? Why? Looking to do a surgical specialty. Thanks... :oops:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RPedigo

RPedigo Physician Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Los Angeles, California
    Let me ask you a question first: how much do you like problem-based learning?
  4. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS 7+ Year Member

May 22, 2005
    Both are great schools. Both will get you wherever you want to be as far as residency is concerned.

1. Which will cost more?
    2. Where do you want to live? (LA and Chicago are VERY different)
  5. BmeGuru

Mar 1, 2007
    I'm not a big fan of problem-based learning actually. I can handle some, but not an overemphasis on it.
  6. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS 7+ Year Member

May 22, 2005
    wait.. why is this thread even up after May 15th?
  7. mathlete

mathlete 7+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Because people who get off of waitlists after May 15th, are allowed some time to accept the offer over the "other" school...
  8. pntgrd

pntgrd 7+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2007
    UCLA is warmer, cheaper, higher ranked in research, higher ranked in medical center, higher ranked in primary care, connected to the rest of the university, and has a more moderate amount of PBL. I loved NW, but UCLA wins in pretty much everything in my view.
  9. XerxesMD

XerxesMD 2+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
  10. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Do you like it cold or do you like it warm??
  11. imahustler

imahustler 2+ Year Member

May 20, 2008
    Go to UCLA, esp if you're a CA resident. Its beats NW in almost every aspect.
  12. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    I'm not intimately familiar with either place but I can tell you a couple of things.

Trying to argue whether NW or UCLA is going to be better when you hit the interview trail is only relevant if you know you want to do residency in CA.

They are both premier medical institutions and considered to be such by everyone you ask. When the time comes to apply for residency you are going to be doing so from a top tier school either way. Once you get into that level (NW, UCLA, Washington, Harvard, Hopkins, etc) they only stratify by geography, not prestige.

Don't agonize over this decision. Flop had it right, it boils down to cost and where you want to live.
  13. flip26

flip26 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2007
    No, what you are looking for is not an intelligent discussion but a superficial response from a bunch of angsty pre-meds as to which school is more prestigious...consult USNews for the "answer" to your question.
  14. volley1

volley1 2+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I would personally rather live in LA but Chicago is a close second.. I also think the prestige of the two schools is pretty much equal, but I do think that the east-coast private school yuppies will think more highly of northwestern. And this thread is perfectly legit... ignore the previous comment. : ) Oh and congrats on having to make this decision!
  15. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc. 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2004
    The Best Coast
    How about a superficial response from a resident. Go Bruins.