Northwestern vs. UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BmeGuru

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a somewhat intelligent discussion here. Would you pick UCLA for med school? Why? Would you pick Northwestern? Why? Looking to do a surgical specialty. Thanks... :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Both are great schools. Both will get you wherever you want to be as far as residency is concerned.

1. Which will cost more?
2. Where do you want to live? (LA and Chicago are VERY different)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a big fan of problem-based learning actually. I can handle some, but not an overemphasis on it.

wait.. why is this thread even up after May 15th?

wait.. why is this thread even up after May 15th?

Because people who get off of waitlists after May 15th, are allowed some time to accept the offer over the "other" school...

UCLA is warmer, cheaper, higher ranked in research, higher ranked in medical center, higher ranked in primary care, connected to the rest of the university, and has a more moderate amount of PBL. I loved NW, but UCLA wins in pretty much everything in my view.

UCLA is warmer, cheaper, higher ranked in research, higher ranked in medical center, higher ranked in primary care, connected to the rest of the university, and has a more moderate amount of PBL. I loved NW, but UCLA wins in pretty much everything in my view.

:thumbup:

Do you like it cold or do you like it warm??

Go to UCLA, esp if you're a CA resident. Its beats NW in almost every aspect.

Go to UCLA, esp if you're a CA resident. Its beats NW in almost every aspect.

I'm not intimately familiar with either place but I can tell you a couple of things.

Trying to argue whether NW or UCLA is going to be better when you hit the interview trail is only relevant if you know you want to do residency in CA.

They are both premier medical institutions and considered to be such by everyone you ask. When the time comes to apply for residency you are going to be doing so from a top tier school either way. Once you get into that level (NW, UCLA, Washington, Harvard, Hopkins, etc) they only stratify by geography, not prestige.

Don't agonize over this decision. Flop had it right, it boils down to cost and where you want to live.

Looking for a somewhat intelligent discussion here. Would you pick UCLA for med school? Why? Would you pick Northwestern? Why? Looking to do a surgical specialty. Thanks... :oops:

No, what you are looking for is not an intelligent discussion but a superficial response from a bunch of angsty pre-meds as to which school is more prestigious...consult USNews for the "answer" to your question.

I would personally rather live in LA but Chicago is a close second.. I also think the prestige of the two schools is pretty much equal, but I do think that the east-coast private school yuppies will think more highly of northwestern. And this thread is perfectly legit... ignore the previous comment. : ) Oh and congrats on having to make this decision!

No, what you are looking for is not an intelligent discussion but a superficial response from a bunch of angsty pre-meds as to which school is more prestigious...consult USNews for the "answer" to your question.

How about a superficial response from a resident. Go Bruins.