Northwestern vs Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noscrubs96

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was hoping for some outside perspective regarding my matriculation decision. I was planning to enroll at Northwestern Feinberg, but was admitted to Yale from the waitlist. I have until this Wednesday (3/8) to make my decision. Cost is shaping up to be approximately equal between both.

I put together a running Pros and Cons list but any input or advice would be wonderful!

Northwestern

Pros
: Chicago, near family, near friends and SO, large number of matches for specialty of interest, "Pass/pass curriculum", excellent facilities, large class size, first rate global health program, probably a more "fun" experience, ideal city campus geared towards med students, edge for getting into NW residencies

Cons: AOA and grades for clinical years, less prestige to laypeople, higher stress curriculum and exams

Yale

Pros
: lots of prestige, very laid back curriculum (a few low stress exams per year taken at home), no AOA, seems like most students pass clinicals with highest marks, gorgeous campus architecture, manageable commute to both NYC and Boston, edge for non-IL residency, more free time, option for MD/JD, noncompetitive atmosphere, moving away might be a valuable experience

Cons: New Haven is small and doesn’t have a ton to do, seems to be less emphasis on nightlife, far from family and friends, potential for feeling lonely, campus is skewed towards undergrads, smaller class size
------
I am back and forth on this issue a lot and I would love to hear some premed/med student opinions! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Northwestern (but not Yale) and felt like it didn't seem like a stressful environment at all. Also, prestige to laypeople seems like a trivial factor to me.

I'd go with Northwestern

Thanks for the input! I meant stressful as more of a relative descriptor because as compared to Yale, most curriculums (curricula? lol) are more stressful. I definitely agree that prestige to laypeople is typically trivial but I also noticed that in the private practice I worked at, the head doctor's prestigious training definitely made an impression on patients. Overall though I agree it's more of a "cosmetic" consideration. Thanks again :)

You should go where you think you’ll be the happiest. If the curriculum, new experience and prestige of Yale make you happy then I’d go there. I’m pretty sure Yale students have fun. But if being close to fam and friends matters more then NW for sure. Also think about how these factors will impact your wellness and success in med school and which ones have the greatest impact.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally liked Yale way better than northwestern. The Yale system and lower stress is the huge draw (95% get Honors during clinical so grades don’t matter at all). Yale is definitely the lower stress option and if you can see if yourself in the Yale system you should seriously consider it. Only you can decide if you want to leave your support system here, but I personally would choose Yale if the money was equivalent.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I am feeling a really strong emotion right now. I think it's envy. What an amazing position you are in.

Definitely, for God's sake, go to Yale.

Reactions: 4 users
Yale is a bit more prestigious and has a far less stressful curriculum, there's no way I'd personally pass it up for Northwestern if costs are similar. Congrats either way!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the help! It ended up coming down to cost but I chose NW, and I realized my heart was there from the start. I was surprised to not get any financial aid from YSM which made the cost difference $150k before interest accumulation ($400k total). I am ultimately glad they made the decision so easy! I’m also grateful to be able to spend these years with my family and SO

Reactions: 11 users