Nose piercing and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brc007

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think having a small hole in my nose would be a big deal during rotations/ interviews for residency?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless they can see into your nasal passages from a normal person distance I doubt anyone will even notice.
 
Do you think having a small hole in my nose would be a big deal during rotations/ interviews for residency?
It will be a big deal to a small amount of people. Even a small one. Whether you are willing to maybe lose an acceptance or bother and attending/patient occasionally is up to you.

Do a risk/reward assessment
 
I didn't wear mine (a small stud in my nostril) for the first few months of school, then after seeing residents and attendings with piercings and small tattoos, I put it back in. No one has said a word. And I have a visible foot tattoo that technically isn't allowed in the hospital, but no one says a word when I wear a dress with flats and its totally visible. Present yourself professionally (clothing, demeanor, confidence) and you'll never give anyone pause.