not a can of worms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouslygeorge

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare DO vs MD options for acceptance rates/average stats/and cost of attending?

I am not looking to start a debate on which is better. I just want to know the differences in the above areas.

(Yes I know it varies from program to program but just as a COMPARISON? In general, does one cost a lot more than the other? Stuff like that.)

Thanks. I think this will help some of us.

Members don't see this ad.

curiouslygeorge said:
Can anyone compare DO vs MD options for acceptance rates/average stats/and cost of attending?

I am not looking to start a debate on which is better. I just want to know the differences in the above areas.

(Yes I know it varies from program to program but just as a COMPARISON? In general, does one cost a lot more than the other? Stuff like that.)

Thanks. I think this will help some of us.

It depends highly on where you apply, but you can be competitive at a middle-tier D.O. program with a 3.4 GPA and a 26 MCAT.

To be competitive at a middle-tier M.D. program, you will need a 3.6 GPA and a 30 MCAT.

You can be accepted with much lower stats to both programs, but these are "competitive" scores in my opinion.

D.O. schools place a much broader emphasis on things other than the stats, such as medical experience, motivation for medicine, recommendations, etc.

Research experience will help your application much more for an M.D. program, and will likely not be considered in application to a D.O. program.

You will find that D.O.'s are much more interested in Primary Care, as a whole, and one can emphasize this on an application.

M.D. schools are more interested in seeing applicants who have interests in research.

These are generalizations, and are only applicable, on average.

Cost of attendance issues are generally the same. Tuition in both M.D.'s and D.O. schools range from less than $10,000 per year to $60,000 per year.

OSUdoc08 said:
It depends highly on where you apply, but you can be competitive at a middle-tier D.O. program with a 3.5 GPA and a 28 MCAT.

To be competitive at a middle-tier M.D. program, you will need a 3.6 GPA and a 30 MCAT.

You can be accepted with much lower stats to both programs, but these are "competitive" scores in my opinion.

D.O. schools place a much broader emphasis on things other than the stats, such as medical experience, motivation for medicine, recommendations, etc.

Research experience will help your application much more for an M.D. program, and will likely not be considered in application to a D.O. program.

You will find that D.O.'s are much more interested in Primary Care, as a whole, and one can emphasize this on an application.

M.D. schools are more interested in seeing applicants who have interests in research.

These are generalizations, and are only applicable, on average.

Cost of attendance issues are generally the same. Tuition in both M.D.'s and D.O. schools range from less than $10,000 per year to $60,000 per year.
Not to start an issue over DO stats, which I assume you are more knowledgable about than I. But saying a 3.6/30 is competitive for a middle tier allo school (which I agree with) is the average statistical stat. As far as I know a 3.5/28 is more than copetitive at middle tier osteo schools. Isn't the average, and thus competitive for average schools much more along the lines of a 3.4-3.5/25? I don't recall there being any osteo school with an average MCAT score of 28 at all, correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only found the stats for the osteo schools ranked in USNEWS (PC, Family Med, and Rural Med - None ranked in research, I did not search the other specialty rankings). I assume that the bolded schools are some of the higher end osteos, though I really do not know for sure.

OSUCOM - 26.1/3.62
KCOM - 25.5/3.53
TCOM - 26.4/3.59
MSUCOM - 24.6/3.55

UNECOM - 24.3/3.31
Pikesville - 22.5/3.31
WVSOM - 22.2/3.37

To the OP, I think that this shows that a 26/3.5 would be competitive at any osteopathic school, not just middle tier.

isnt a 24/25 MCAT score average for most DO schools? And isnt a 29/30 MCAT score average for most MD schools?

Blue Scrub said:
isnt a 24/25 MCAT score average for most DO schools? And isnt a 29/30 MCAT score average for most MD schools?

Yes. It would not be competitive at most schools, however, unless your GPA and supplemental application requirements are adequate.

We must realize that the discussion is not "what is average?" We are more closely discussing "what is competitive?"

Competitive means that you will likely get in over other applicants.

Average means that approximately half of the accepted applicants had better stats than you.

i guess what I meant was, wouldnt those scores for DO and MD schools, respectively, make you a competitive applicant? considering you have, lets say a 3.5 gpa and decent ec's?

Blue Scrub said:
i guess what I meant was, wouldnt those scores for DO and MD schools, respectively, make you a competitive applicant? considering you have, lets say a 3.5 gpa and decent ec's?

Well since we are going to call those numbers "average," then that means that approximately half of the schools have averages above that, and half of the schools have averages below that.

If you apply to only the top schools, then you would not be a competitive applicant. If you apply to the schools with only the lowest averages, then you would likely get in to almost all of them.

I suppose the question is where does one intend to apply?

My suggestion would be to apply to schools on both ends of the spectrum, to have a "backup" in case you don't get into the places you desire the most.

haha yes, I think we're on the same page....I was only thinking of middle-tier med schools I guess, not thinking about both ends of the spectrum, but true, those scores would not be competitive at top 10's, and would be very competitive at lower-tiered schools

What you dorks don't realize is that in the end, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER!!

Once you get a little older, you'll see.....

Remember this: IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER!!

I am a D.O. pulling in about 4-hundy a year.....Not bad for someone with a 3.3 GPA and a 27 MCAT. Bottom line: Do what you like

well said......but why the dork comment? Are we dorks b/c we're not making any dough yet like you? Because we're not older and more experienced than you? What is it?

While I am of the mindset that a trained DO = a trained MD, why would your ability of
Brass_Monkey said:
pulling in about 4-hundy a year
validate you or your opinion in any way?
Yeah $400,000 is a lot of money. I hope pulling your wallet out in the pre-allo forum made your night.

Brass_Monkey said:
What you dorks don't realize is that in the end, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER!!

Once you get a little older, you'll see.....

Remember this: IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER!!

I am a D.O. pulling in about 4-hundy a year.....Not bad for someone with a 3.3 GPA and a 27 MCAT. Bottom line: Do what you like

YOu are telling people to do what they like but bragging about your income. Perhaps you should re-evaluate why you became a medical professional....

Blue Scrub said:
well said......but why the dork comment? Are we dorks b/c we're not making any dough yet like you? Because we're not older and more experienced than you? What is it?

Sorry 'bout that :(

OneLove said:
YOu are telling people to do what they like but bragging about your income. Perhaps you should re-evaluate why you became a medical professional....

No need for a re-evaluation, friend. I went into medicine for all the same reasons you bright-eyed pre-meds did. You'll see how you feel once the medical hierarchy squeezes the last drop of joy you once had toward medicine from you. Seriously......save all your postings and idealistic ramblings somewhere and take a look at them when you are an attending. GUARANTEED that you'll laugh very, very hard at them!! :laugh: :love:

YzIa said:
While I am of the mindset that a trained DO = a trained MD, why would your ability of validate you or your opinion in any way?
Yeah $400,000 is a lot of money. I hope pulling your wallet out in the pre-allo forum made your night.

Good mindset! And yes, it did make my night. That is how pathetic an existence I lead. Rather than anger, feel pity toward me.
:cool:

Brass_Monkey said:
Good mindset! And yes, it did make my night. That is how pathetic an existence I lead. Rather than anger, feel pity toward me.
:cool:

I'm cool with that.

Brass_Monkey said:
Sorry 'bout that :(

I don't know about you guys, but his bragging gave me a little inspiration to keep pushing along. (providing your not lying)... but regardless... thanks for the mood booster brass monkey! :thumbup:

(no i'm not just doing this for the financial stability, but I would be lying if i said it played no part in it)