Not a lot of pure physiology questions on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

At least that's what it seems on kaplan qbank. Does this mean i can goof off on the brs phys.

Members don't see this ad.

At least that's what it seems on kaplan qbank. Does this mean i can goof off on the brs phys.
weirdoc, you HAVE to have a good foundation in physio.........especially with the way the test is supposedly gonna twist the questions (audio/video formats etc), you really should aim to have the solid grasp of the basics so you can tackle the questions in any way they are asked

try not to use kaplan qbank as a mirror of what the test will be like...........thats not even the best qbank out there............its good for testing to see if all the details/minutae are in your head but not for the best representation/prediction of your performance of step 1

for each subject, pick the most recommended book out there (like brs for physio) and know it COLD

I agree w/ Knight. IMO, Phys is pretty much the basis for being able to think through almost any question that the exam is going to throw at you. As Goljan says in his lectures a 100 times, the USMLE isn't about knowing what, it's about knowing HOW and WHY. That is why the Pathophys is such a must have background for all this material.

Members don't see this ad :)
weirdoc, you HAVE to have a good foundation in physio.........especially with the way the test is supposedly gonna twist the questions (audio/video formats etc), you really should aim to have the solid grasp of the basics so you can tackle the questions in any way they are asked

Audio/video formats? Please explain. :confused:

starting in summer 2007, the NBME will be introducing audio/video questions

http://www.usmle.org/news/mediaclips.htm

This is true, at least based upon what our Kaplan USMLE director told us a few days ago :(

Since this is the initial phasing in of audio/video, though, it shouldn't be terribly bad (in terms of the amount of questions containing these).

This is true, at least based upon what our Kaplan USMLE director told us a few days ago :(

Since this is the initial phasing in of audio/video, though, it shouldn't be terribly bad (in terms of the amount of questions containing these).

I know. When I first heard about it, I was like :eek: but also since this is the first run, at least some of them will probably be "experimental" and not factored into the score...though I'm not counting on that

I agree that you should do your best to know BRS Phys. I took the real thing yesterday, and I was struck by how much conceptual type questions there were. Definitely much more about the HOW and WHY than the WHAT. Plus a good understanding of physiology will definitely help you reason through tough questions so that you can at least elimate 2 or 3 choices that just don't make sense.

I agree that you should do your best to know BRS Phys. I took the real thing yesterday, and I was struck by how much conceptual type questions there were. Definitely much more about the HOW and WHY than the WHAT. Plus a good understanding of physiology will definitely help you reason through tough questions so that you can at least elimate 2 or 3 choices that just don't make sense.

So did u feel that the extent of conceptual type questions weren't mirrored by the NBMEs?

starting in summer 2007, the NBME will be introducing audio/video questions

http://www.usmle.org/news/mediaclips.htm
That's good because that means med schools are going to have to start integrating video as well. While you may easily forget something that is just a collection of words called a syndrome, my guess is that you will never forget a lot of the things once you see them. My response: it's about time!