Not a word...

Started by twester
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

twester

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I try to be tolerant of the varying degrees of English aptitude of the people around me, but there's something that happens often here that bugs me. 🙂

"Advices" is not a word. The noun advice is always singular (you can't have more than one advice). The verb advises means to give someone advice.

Examples:

Can I have some advice please?

Yes, I would be happy to advise you.

Twester advises the room that "advice" can never contain the letter 's'.

:laugh:OK, I've had my little outburst of OCD - carry on. But, can we make this post a sticky?😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are a lot of things that bother me...such as mindless threads. but im not going to create a thread as an opportunity to ramble pretentiously about how much knowledgeable i am.
 
There are a lot of things that bother me...such as mindless threads. but im not going to create a thread as an opportunity to ramble pretentiously about how much knowledgeable i am.

Yeah, because knowing the difference between advice and advises really shows off one's knowledge. Isn't that something you learn in grade school? :idea:
 
It peeves me when I see somebody write "prolly" instead of "probably". I realize that Internet forums are more informal. But come on now, this approximation isn't even close to the real word.
 
I try to be tolerant of the varying degrees of English aptitude of the people around me, but there's something that happens often here that bugs me. 🙂

"Advices" is not a word. The noun advice is always singular (you can't have more than one advice). The verb advises means to give someone advice.

Examples:

Can I have some advice please?

Yes, I would be happy to advise you.

Twester advises the room that "advice" can never contain the letter 's'.

:laugh:OK, I've had my little outburst of OCD - carry on. But, can we make this post a sticky?😉

I agree, however, I was too lazy to type all of that.
 
It peeves me when I see somebody write "prolly" instead of "probably". I realize that Internet forums are more informal. But come on now, this approximation isn't even close to the real word.
I used to always use prolley when I wasn't trying to look half-way formal. It just kind of wore off on me when others used it.

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one bothered by "advices". :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No kidding...Some people I know on here have only learned English in the past year. I could care less about minor spelling mistakes...


Yeah, me too. When you speak 3-4 languages on a good intermediate level, you become much more tolerant to the language mistakes. The spelling and mistakes do not tick me off, even though some of them are pretty goofy. Someone named their thread - Biasism against CC students a couple days ago, I think mods changed that. :luck:

One of my biggest dreams is to be able to speak eloquent proper English. When I studied English back at home, I studied proper British English with proper vocabulary. As soon as I moved here, Americans corrupted me with their wrong spelllings and I lost the beautiful English pronunciation I had before.
 
No kidding...Some people I know on here have only learned English in the past year. I could care less about minor spelling mistakes...


You should say that "I couldn't care less about minor spelling mistakes." This conveys your point that you care so little about minor spelling mistakes that you couldn't care less than you don't care right right now. Saying that "I could care less" simply says that you could care less and implies that you do care somewhat.😉😀

I just wanted to say that since I've partaken in threads like these on other forums and I heard of this correction from someone else.🙂
 
Yeah, me too. When you speak 3-4 languages on a good intermediate level, you become much more tolerant to the language mistakes. The spelling and mistakes do not tick me off, even though some of them are pretty goofy. Someone named their thread - Biasism against CC students a couple days ago, I think mods changed that. :luck:

One of my biggest dreams is to be able to speak eloquent proper English. When I studied English back at home, I studied proper British English with proper vocabulary. As soon as I moved here, Americans corrupted me with their wrong spelllings and I lost the beautiful English pronunciation I had before.
I think that your English is probably better than mine and I only speak English!
 
People, people. My original post was meant to be funny (that's what all the emoticons were for). I continually see "advices" in thread titles and I always roll my eyes and laugh.

I know how hard it is to learn and live in a foreign language having been an immigrant of sorts myself. I was always grateful when people pointed out my mistakes to me (unless they were bitchy about it). You should hear how bad my Dutch is. :laugh: At the same time, I'm proud that I can at least communicate reasonably in another language. I admire those of you who have attained such command of English that you can communicate with it in writing. I never really got that with Dutch.

So, my intention was not to get people snarking at each other about language abilities. I was just having a little fun with an obviously common mistake in English as a second language. I apologize if that didn't come across properly.
 
You have no idea how tempting it is to use mod powers to correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.😉:meanie:
Invariably, as soon as you bring up one of the above, you mess it up in your own post. Now that it's been brought up, be extra careful to edit your mistakes quickly.:meanie:
 
Last edited:
Is penises a word? For example, Jane likes penises? Oh please, let it be a word. Penises sound much better than cocks.
 
Is penises a word? For example, Jane likes penises? Oh please, let it be a word. Penises sound much better than cocks.



Jesus, I imagine HS kids reading this board, trying to get some words of wisdom and encouragement. Instead, they stumble upon this thread and read about penises. 😱 🙄
 
Well at least they'll lose any intimidation. 🙂

I think half the time I'm intimidated to read this forum and I'm almost 24. Pharmacy section is ok but Dr. Lounge is crazy. Lots of penises there. 😎
 
Is penises a word? For example, Jane likes penises? Oh please, let it be a word. Penises sound much better than cocks.

Wow.

Yes it's a word. The plural of penis can either be penises or penes.

And how is this relevant to the pharmacy forum?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jesus, I imagine HS kids reading this board, trying to get some words of wisdom and encouragement. Instead, they stumble upon this thread and read about penises. 😱 🙄

Okay, I'm thinking about the HS kids googling penis and stumbling upon a pre-pharmacy thread. Probably not what they were looking for... 😆
 
You should say that "I couldn't care less about minor spelling mistakes." This conveys your point that you care so little about minor spelling mistakes that you couldn't care less than you don't care right right now. Saying that "I could care less" simply says that you could care less and implies that you do care somewhat.😉😀

I just wanted to say that since I've partaken in threads like these on other forums and I heard of this correction from someone else.🙂

Yeah, grammatically and logically "I couldn't care less about minor spelling mistakes" is more correct, but "I could care less" is also acceptable, because it's usually said with a sarcastic tone. One can make an argument for either. 🙂
 
Yeah, grammatically and logically "I couldn't care less about minor spelling mistakes" is more correct, but "I could care less" is also acceptable, because it's usually said with a sarcastic tone. One can make an argument for either. 🙂

lol, I totally agree with you. I always say "I could care less" meaning if you continue to pester me, I will actually care even less, so don't bring it up again!! May not be entirely logical, but whatever 😉