Not an April Fool's Joke - took my OAT today!

jlynn2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the breakdown

QR: 300
RC: 400 (!)
BIO: 330
GC: 310
OG: 310
PHY: 310
TS: 320
AA: 330

I'm pretty pleased considering it's my first and I only had time to study for three weeks (I hadn't planned on taking it this early, but I wanted to be able to retake it in time to apply for this cycle). I bought the Princeton Review Cracking the OAT for physics and used PR's MCAT books to study for the natural sciences.

Super bummed about the QR - all the practice problems I found were ridiculously easier then the actual. And I curse that stupid calculator.

I've read all over the place that physics is the most important or bio is the most important, but IDK, that crazy 400 makes me special right? I'm trying to apply in Texas (state resident), and I'm a music major with a 3.23 at ND (none of this is coming together...)

Anyway, good luck to everyone taking / retaking it!

And focus on your weak spots - it's like the OAT knew I sucked at acids and bases :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! By ND, you mean Notre Dame?? If so, hello fellow Domer! I'm applying for OD programs this summer as well, taking my OAT in May. I was a Bio major but it's been awhile.. Any additional study tips?? Awesome scores!! :)

Hi! And yes I'm at Notre Dame! Are you taking it here or back at home? And is it your first?

Additional tips:

There aren't a lot of free tests available, but if you need to practice your sciences I recommend searching up practice DATs because their science section is pretty similar.

Definitely try harder math problems then the ones in the ADA sample test. Try not to use a calculator either (I was dumb and thought I could use the Google calculator, but that was way more user friendly then the actual calculator).

Don't worry too much about details in bio - one of my practice tests asked me which was the committed step in glycolysis, but that's pretty low priority. My actual bio questions were more general.

Don't neglect spectroscopy and lab techniques in orgo - I thought it wasn't going to be a big deal but I got a lot of questions on it.

I can't give much advice on verbal since I actually didn't study for it much (I mostly skimmed once and then reskimmed for each question).