Not Doing Honors Research Thesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InterestingVast16

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a current senior applying this cycle. On the projected coursework section of my AMCAS, I listed that I'll be completing my honors research thesis during my senior spring. However, due to scheduling conflicts, I just learned that this would force me to also take an additional, harder class (on top of the thesis/honors seminar) to still graduate with my double-major. Also, I'm not even sure if the time spent on my thesis would be more valuable than the extra time I could spend in my laboratory working towards future publications.

Fortunately, I've already been accepted into a few MD schools this cycle and will not have to reapply next year, so having the thesis "under my belt" for the next cycle is not a concern. I guess my only concern is the T20 medical schools that I was lucky enough to interview with questioning why I don't mention working on my thesis in update letters/potentially rescinding an A after discovering that I didn't do the thesis... I also hesitate to reach out & ask them about skipping the thesis ahead of time.

Thank you so much for any input you could provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I'm a current senior applying this cycle. On the projected coursework section of my AMCAS, I listed that I'll be completing my honors research thesis during my senior spring. However, due to scheduling conflicts, I just learned that this would force me to also take an additional, harder class (on top of the thesis/honors seminar) to still graduate with my double-major. Also, I'm not even sure if the time spent on my thesis would be more valuable than the extra time I could spend in my laboratory working towards future publications.

Fortunately, I've already been accepted into a few MD schools this cycle and will not have to reapply next year, so having the thesis "under my belt" for the next cycle is not a concern. I guess my only concern is the T20 medical schools that I was lucky enough to interview with questioning why I don't mention working on my thesis in update letters/potentially rescinding an A after discovering that I didn't do the thesis... I also hesitate to reach out & ask them about skipping the thesis ahead of time.

Eh I feel like this is akin to projected hours or submitted manuscripts that haven't been accepted. Schools will probably understand that stuff happens. I would not say anything.

Reactions: 1 users

Congratulations and welcome to the forums. No, you don't need to draw attention to it. Plans change.