Not doing well in SMP - - what to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carmelmacchiatooo

Reaction score
I have been doing an SMP at an osteopathic medical school in California. It is a reputable SMP and we've even had someone get into UC Davis SOM or other MD programs. I got a 3.3 last semester; I struggled with delegating my time between the program and dealing with my personal issues (such as having to take care of my mom who had surgery and being my mom's primary decision-maker and translator). I wish I had just deferred my acceptance for this SMP but now it's too late. My SMP grades on a different scale, where a 90%=3.5 GPA. It's almost impossible to get a 4.0 in my program. My plan was to get a 90% average this semester to boost my GPA to 3.4 (which is fairly good for this SMP). The thing is I got a 60*% on my anatomy midterm but ended up getting 90% on the other 3 midterms. I am now taking a leave of absence because I am struggling with my mental health and need to go take care of my mom as she will have another surgical procedure. My plan is to take the MCAT in May 2022 (shooting for 505+), and return to this SMP for Fall 2022 and earn close to a 3.5 overall.

My undergraduate GPA according to AACOMAS, is 3.54, sGPA: 3.63. MCAT: 490. I am a first-generation, low-income ORM applicant. My question is, have I ruined my chances of ever getting into an osteopathic medical school by not doing as well in the first part of the SMP? Should I pursue another career? Should I just give up this SMP altogether and apply without it. I know a 3.5 SMP GPA doesn't sound good, but 97% of the people accepted from my SMP have 3.4+, some have even got Cs in the SMP and gotten in bc they had people in the program to fight for them.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been doing an SMP at an osteopathic medical school in California. It is a reputable SMP and we've even had someone get into UC Davis SOM or other MD programs. I got a 3.3 last semester; I struggled with delegating my time between the program and dealing with my personal issues (such as having to take care of my mom who had surgery and being my mom's primary decision-maker and translator). I wish I had just deferred my acceptance for this SMP but now it's too late. My SMP grades on a different scale, where a 90%=3.5 GPA. It's almost impossible to get a 4.0 in my program. My plan was to get a 90% average this semester to boost my GPA to 3.4 (which is fairly good for this SMP). The thing is I got a 60*% on my anatomy midterm but ended up getting 90% on the other 3 midterms. I am now taking a leave of absence because I am struggling with my mental health and need to go take care of my mom as she will have another surgical procedure. My plan is to take the MCAT in May 2022 (shooting for 505+), and return to this SMP for Fall 2022 and earn close to a 3.5 overall.

My undergraduate GPA according to AACOMAS, is 3.54, sGPA: 3.63. MCAT: 490. I am a first-generation, low-income ORM applicant. My question is, have I ruined my chances of ever getting into an osteopathic medical school by not doing as well in the first part of the SMP? Should I pursue another career? Should I just give up this SMP altogether and apply without it. I know a 3.5 SMP GPA doesn't sound good, but 97% of the people accepted from my SMP have 3.4+, some have even got Cs in the SMP and gotten in bc they had people in the program to fight for them.
I am very confused as to why you even chose to do an SMP if you're shooting for DOs. Your MCAT was the clear issue. Your gpa was competitive for DO.

From your description, it sounds like your SMP might be a net neutral. Won't help or hurt your app too much as your smp gpa seems to be about the same as your overall.

Reactions: 1 user
I am very confused as to why you even chose to do an SMP if you're shooting for DOs. Your MCAT was the clear issue. Your gpa was competitive for DO.

From your description, it sounds like your SMP might be a net neutral. Won't help or hurt your app too much as your smp gpa seems to be about the same as your overall.
Yes, i shouldn't be in an smp, my undergrad gpa was good enough for DO. I realy wanted to go to this DO school so that's why I did the SMP, additionally I knew I couldn't do well on the MCAT so i thought SMP would be the right way to go. I wish I had someone advise me to not do an SMP and just pay for a prep course.

What is a net neutral smp?

Members don't see this ad :)

Bail on the SMP and

1. Take care of yourself.
2. Take care of your mom
3. Work on MCAT retake

You do have a good chance to get into a DO school with a broad app and a good MCAT.

BUT a word of warning. You're going to have to be selfish as a medical student and have someone else take care of your mom. You can't always run home at every crisis. Otherwise it'll destroy your medical career, just like it has come close to killing you in your SMP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Bail on the SMP and

1. Take care of yourself.
2. Take care of your mom
3. Work on MCAT retake

You do have a good chance to get into a DO school with a broad app and a good MCAT.

BUT a word of warning. You're going to have to be selfish as a medical student and have someone else take care of your mom. You can't always run home at every crisis. Otherwise it'll destroy your medical career oh, just it is has come close to killing you in your SMP.
Hi Goro!

Thank you so much for the advice. I agree, I need to find someone else to take care of my mom. I hope that by taking this leave, I can open up permanent disability and get her permanent care. I will retake the MCAT in May 2022.

How will completing just the first part of the SMP look to other DO schools? Should I not return for Fall 2022?

• Care
Yes, i shouldn't be in an smp, my undergrad gpa was good enough for DO. I realy wanted to go to this DO school so that's why I did the SMP, additionally I knew I couldn't do well on the MCAT so i thought SMP would be the right way to go. I wish I had someone advise me to not do an SMP and just pay for a prep course.

What is a net neutral smp?
Net neutral just means neutral. Net refers to a sum or total and is often used to discuss finances. ie if I company made 1 million this year in sales (gross income) but had $400,000 in expenses, their net profit would be $600,000. It is not a specific type of SMP, only a figure of speech.

Reactions: 3 users
How will completing just the first part of the SMP look to other DO schools? Should I not return for Fall 2022?
One semester of struggling will look better than two semesters of struggling.

You know the saying "when you're in a hole, stop digging"? You're in a hole. Stop digging.

I see this again and again, including with medical students. The smart ones step out to deal with their issues, and then come back focused and stronger. The other ones keep banging their heads against the wall while their ships sink. It's rather frustrating to watch.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Why are you’retaking the MCAT in May 2022? I really don’t think you’ll be focused enough to study well over the next few months since you’ll be really focused on your mom. It’s the 490 MCAT that will keep you out of med school, not your GPAs. So don’t retake the MCAT until you are ready. You should be consistently scoring at or above your target score on a series of FL practice test. Your target of 505 is fine.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi Goro!

Thank you so much for the advice. I agree, I need to find someone else to take care of my mom. I hope that by taking this leave, I can open up permanent disability and get her permanent care. I will retake the MCAT in May 2022.

Your academics didn't need the SMP, but I do understand why you wanted this DO school. MY SMP students take the route you did all the time. But we give better advising and would had you go LOA a lot sooner. And we don't grade like your program's cockamamie system either.

Thus, I don't see the value of the investment.

i do recommend talking to any trusted advisor(s) or faculty at the school to see if it's worth the investment.

BUT. of the situation with your mom remains unchanged, don't go back.

You will have to explain why you left on applications. Just tell the truth.

Your academics didn't need the SMP, but I do understand why you wanted this DO school. MY SMP students take the route you did all the time. But we give better advising and would had you go LOA a lot sooner. And we don't grade like your program's cockamamie system either.

Thus, I don't see the value of the investment.

i do recommend talking to any trusted advisor(s) or faculty at the school to see if it's worth the investment.

BUT. of the situation with your mom remains unchanged, don't go back.

You will have to explain why you left on applications. Just tell the truth.
Yeah, I think as an ORM I felt this would be the best way for me to get into med school. Especially as someone who struggled on the MCAT.

You're right, I should have just taken a LOA during the first semester. I talked to one of the main people running the program and they said it would be best for me to take a LOA since I am dealing with overwhelming issues with my mom. They mentioned not to take an LOA solely on the fact that I did poorly on Anatomy but I feel like that is not the best advice. I am in a hole and should not continue digging further.

Yeah, I think as an ORM I felt this would be the best way for me to get into med school. Especially as someone who struggled on the MCAT.

You're right, I should have just taken a LOA during the first semester. I talked to one of the main people running the program and they said it would be best for me to take a LOA since I am dealing with overwhelming issues with my mom. They mentioned not to take an LOA solely on the fact that I did poorly on Anatomy but I feel like that is not the best advice. I am in a hole and should not continue digging further.
Rule #1 when in a hole is to stop digging.

Reactions: 1 users
I also think that you should delay the retake. But regardless of timing, prioritize mastering the sections in which scores can be raised the most by learning/memorizing more content. I’m thinking about the Bio and Psych/Soc sections.

Rule #1 when in a hole is to stop digging.
Agreed. What would be a good MCAT for someone in my case? I listed my undergrad GPA in the original post. My stats from my 1st semester SMP were: Biochem: 88%, Biostats: 95%, Neuroscience: 87%, Physio: 87%, Molec cell bio: 78%. I have fair amount of osteopathic exposure from doing this program. I was a lead medical scribe in a rural clinic. First-gen, low-income applicant, Pell-grant recipient. Parents work low-wage jobs. Volunteered in hospice during undergrad. Here at my SMP, I have been allowed to do COVID-vaccine volunteering. I plan to expand my volunteering and do research at the osteopathic school I did my SMP at. Hoping to go into primary care after graduating med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. What would be a good MCAT for someone in my case? I listed my undergrad GPA in the original post. My stats from my 1st semester SMP were: Biochem: 88%, Biostats: 95%, Neuroscience: 87%, Physio: 87%, Molec cell bio: 78%. I have fair amount of osteopathic exposure from doing this program. I was a lead medical scribe in a rural clinic. First-gen, low-income applicant, Pell-grant recipient. Parents work low-wage jobs. Volunteered in hospice during undergrad. Here at my SMP, I have been allowed to do COVID-vaccine volunteering. I plan to expand my volunteering and do research at the osteopathic school I did my SMP at. Hoping to go into primary care after graduating med school.
I’ll second candbgirl that your goal of 505 or above is good.

Do you qualify for fap and whatever other cutoffs are needed to officially be low ses for med school admissions purposes? Cause I think you honestly would have a pretty good shot at DO with you current gpa stats and a 505 MCAT with two “recruitment” boxes ticked. It’s not URM level boost, but it def helps a bit.

Do you qualify for fap and whatever other cutoffs are needed to officially be low ses for med school admissions purposes? Cause I think you honestly would have a pretty good shot at DO with you current gpa stats and a 505 MCAT with two “recruitment” boxes ticked. It’s not URM level boost, but it def helps a bit.
I did get approved for FAP last time I took the MCAT last year. I can apply for it again, I believe this would be my last time getting it

Good catch by Goro. So the first semester grades were:

Biochem: 88%
Biostats: 95%
Neuroscience: 87%
Physio: 87%
Molec cell bio: 78%

So MCB would seem like a C+ or so. But your SMP treats a 90% as a 3.5. So physio, biochem and neuroscience all come out to a 3.2? With MCB being closer to a 2.3.

Take extra time for MCAT prep then and see how high you can score on practice tests. Don’t stop just at 505 and go for the real thing if an extra month or two could get you to 510.

Good catch by Goro. So the first semester grades were:

Biochem: 88%
Biostats: 95%
Neuroscience: 87%
Physio: 87%
Molec cell bio: 78%

So MCB would seem like a C+ or so. But your SMP treats a 90% as a 3.5. So physio, biochem and neuroscience all come out to a 3.2? With MCB being closer to a 2.3.

Take extra time for MCAT prep then and see how high you can score on practice tests. Don’t stop just at 505 and go for the real thing if an extra month or two could get you to 510.
Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.57.14 AM.png

Here is my SMP's grading scale. My GPA ended up being 3.3 because of the different units each course holds. I think 510 would be a better shot. I would like to mention that I am from the Central Valley in California. There is a new for-profit osteopathic school, California Health Sciences Univ. I have the GPA to be accepted there, just need a higher MCAT. Just worried about how that C in MCB would look.

Does anyone have any recommendations for MCAT prep? I am someone who does not thrive by self-studying. I am contemplating Blueprint MCAT prep or Berkely Review MCAT prep. Berkely review is not offering classes right now (not in person or live online). I am leaning towards Blueprint because of this.

Ok that’s interesting to see the grading scale. AACOMAS will convert them anyways to standardize people’s gpa:

But I believe you still input the raw percentage grade.

For MCAT, see the separate forum for that:

There might be reviews for Blueprint or other courses there. Berkeley Review won’t be offering courses based on the company’s future from what I heard.

I cannot recommend CHSU due to their for-profit status, lack of track record, limited rotations and inability to qualify for federal loans. It could be an expensive mistake and if you do well on the MCAT, you can apply broadly to DO schools (including Western and Touro CA if you wish to have closer options). UC Davis might be worth an AMCAS app then too if you want to use the app money saved by skipping CHSU.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok that’s interesting to see the grading scale. AACOMAS will convert them anyways to standardize people’s gpa:

But I believe you still input the raw percentage grade.

For MCAT, see the separate forum for that:

There might be reviews for Blueprint or other courses there. Berkeley Review won’t be offering courses based on the company’s future from what I heard.

I cannot recommend CHSU due to their for-profit status, lack of track record, limited rotations and inability to qualify for federal loans. It could be an expensive mistake and if you do well on the MCAT, you can apply broadly to DO schools (including Western and Touro CA if you wish to have closer options). UC Davis might be worth an AMCAS app then too if you want to use the app money saved by skipping CHSU.
I think I will avoid MD schools as my AMCAS GPA will be lower than my AACOMAS. I have a 'D' in Calc 1 and 'C' in Stats from my first semester of undergrad, these would be accounted in my AMCAS GPA and bring me to a lower GPA. Hence why my AACOMAS science GPA is high.

Thank you for linking MCAT thread!

I think I will avoid MD schools as my AMCAS GPA will be lower than my AACOMAS. I have a 'D' in Calc 1 and 'C' in Stats from my first semester of undergrad, these would be accounted in my AMCAS GPA and bring me to a lower GPA. Hence why my AACOMAS science GPA is high.

Thank you for linking MCAT thread!
That sounds right then given that information. The other CA DO schools are better choices then, just had the thought UC Davis might have been an option since you’re in Central CA.

There is a new for-profit osteopathic school, California Health Sciences Univ. I have the GPA to be accepted there, just need a higher MCAT. Just worried about how that C in MCB would look.

Does anyone have any recommendations for MCAT prep? I am someone who does not thrive by self-studying. I am contemplating Blueprint MCAT prep or Berkely Review MCAT prep. Berkely review is not offering classes right now (not in person or live online). I am leaning towards Blueprint because of this.
Can't recommend that school. They are unlikely to have the resources to help a struggling student such as yourself.

Reactions: 2 users

We are all here to help each other out. You need to take care of your family first before doing anything else. You will have plenty of time to explain time off on your essays.

Reactions: 1 users
We are all here to help each other out. You need to take care of your family first before doing anything else. You will have plenty of time to explain time off on your essays.
Thank you for the support. I truly appreciate it!