Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Not Doomed....but close too it

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Doctormo24, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Doctormo24

Doctormo24 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Allright so here is my situation. In my first Fall semester I dropped College Algebra and General Chemistry I. Then in Spring I got a D+ in College Algebra but passed General Chemistry with a B+, so that was good. This semester I had to again drop a class, General Biology I Lab. I am doing great in the class i have a A average so far and 1 test to go. My other classes I am doing great as well, I hopefully will and am planning to pass the semester with straight A's. brining my GPA to 3.38. I will be taking College Algebra again in the Spring, and this time i know I will pass, last time I slacked off after the first test, this time thats not happening. I am just a bit worried because I started off my freshmen year really bad, I regret it so much and am kind of shameful about it. I am doing good now which is what is really good, I am fully focused and fully dedicated to my studies. I just worry what adcoms will think of my first year and how bad I started. I know there is hope, something I will never lose hold of but sometimes its just hard to get past your bad mistakes. What do you all think about this, is your first year looked upon the most? Anyone else in the same situation? Any adivce/comment is appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, your first year is not looked at the most. It seems as though they look at the trends in your GPA. Meaning, doing better later on is a big plus. Just work hard for the rest of undergrad and be prepared to defend your earlier grades, which is much easier if you have an upward trend in your GPA.

4. swifteagle43

swifteagle43 Lover- not a fighter
    10+ Year Member

Don't f_ck(buy a vowel) up orgo when you take it and study hard. GPA trends and MCAT and more important than 1 class, 1 semester or even 1 year. Honestly, push comes to shove you can fifth year senior it and get even a better GPA booster.

Don't stress it and just become a premed.

5. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're fine. Just don't screw up again, especially in organic and physics. Like the other posters have pointed out, freshman year is weighed the least heavily, and as long as you do well the rest of your college career, you're going to be fine.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sounds like you want to take a lighter load from now on, and spend the time you need to do well. It's better to spread the difficult classes out and get A's (even if it means taking the MCAT late or finish up prereqs in a postbac year) than to get everything done but do poorly in everything.