Not enough characters for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm adding the title/department portion for my LOR but there are not enough characters. Are we supposed to add Title and Department?

The person's Title is "Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery". After that only part of the Department can be added. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm adding the title/department portion for my LOR but there are not enough characters. Are we supposed to add Title and Department?

The person's Title is "Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery". After that only part of the Department can be added. Thanks in advance.

What I did was:
Title = Associate Clinical Professor
Dept = Surgery (or Neurosurgery or Orthopedic Surgery, etc)

What I did was:
Title = Associate Clinical Professor
Dept = Surgery (or Neurosurgery or Orthopedic Surgery, etc)

How did you actually type it in though?

"Associate Clinical Professor, Surgery"?

Mine was "Associate Professor/Anesthesiology"

Interesting. I didn't actually use the forward-slash in any of the finalized LORs even though that is how they listed it. Wonder if it makes a difference.

PS: I'm sure somebody will come in here and tell me that I am obsessing over things and xyz. Cut me some slack please.

I don't really think it will matter. Based on what I've understood, what you put is only important in it being seen by the LOR writer and just a quick glimpse for those looking at your application. Its been said that the most important thing is what the writer signs at the bottom of the letter.

I don't really think it will matter. Based on what I've understood, what you put is only important in it being seen by the LOR writer and just a quick glimpse for those looking at your application. Its been said that the most important thing is what the writer signs at the bottom of the letter.

It doesn't matter. When the apps are downloaded the LORs come through as PDFs and the vast majority of them have the writer's title and dept on it. As an app reviewer I've never seen the part that gets put in ERAS, just the LORs themselves.

It doesn't matter. When the apps are downloaded the LORs come through as PDFs and the vast majority of them have the writer's title and dept on it. As an app reviewer I've never seen the part that gets put in ERAS, just the LORs themselves.

This feature plays a minor role for me while I'm performing the initial application screen. When I select the "documents" tab and click on the "show documents" pull-down menu, I can tell at a glance if the applicant has the correct number and type of letter without having to open each one. It saves a little time, but does not have any bearing on the selection for interview process.