Not feeling confident to dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ineed2getin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know im just a random stranger on the internet, but i think yall might be able to help me. I have applied to pharmacy schools and have already gotten accepted to one. Pharmacy is not something that I have always wanted to do, in fact its something that I have been pressured to do because of my low gpa. in fact, i came into college knowing that i wanted to do dentistry. I have mostly B's in my science courses with the exception of 2 C's. Im currently in my 3rd year second semester with an overall gpa of 3.5 and a science gpa of 3.1. This gpa is not good enough for dental schools and my brothers told me that I have no chance of getting into dental school. They keep telling me that I am not smart enough, and I wont be able to do well regardless of how much I study. I am a first generation student going to college. it has been really hard on my side because my brothers constantly tell me that no one is smart in our family and no one is capable of doing well in studies or scoring high. i am just in the lowest point of my life now, I dont feel confident anymore. dental school is way more competitive to get in with more than 2,000 applicants applying to a single school with 80 seats available. these numbers scare me even more. i really want to do dentistry but i feel like if i go and do that, i will be a failure, and my brothers will be right.

Members don't see this ad.

I know im just a random stranger on the internet, but i think yall might be able to help me. I have applied to pharmacy schools and have already gotten accepted to one. Pharmacy is not something that I have always wanted to do, in fact its something that I have been pressured to do because of my low gpa. in fact, i came into college knowing that i wanted to do dentistry. I have mostly B's in my science courses with the exception of 2 C's. Im currently in my 3rd year second semester with an overall gpa of 3.5 and a science gpa of 3.1. This gpa is not good enough for dental schools and my brothers told me that I have no chance of getting into dental school. They keep telling me that I am not smart enough, and I wont be able to do well regardless of how much I study. I am a first generation student going to college. it has been really hard on my side because my brothers constantly tell me that no one is smart in our family and no one is capable of doing well in studies or scoring high. i am just in the lowest point of my life now, I dont feel confident anymore. dental school is way more competitive to get in with more than 2,000 applicants applying to a single school with 80 seats available. these numbers scare me even more. i really want to do dentistry but i feel like if i go and do that, i will be a failure, and my brothers will be right.

its close to 3000 app for 80-100 seat per school now

Reactions: 2 users
Dentistry and pharmacy are on opposite ends of the spectrum. It's really one or the other. I'd say go with what your heart feels. Your grades can be improved. That's a lot easier than working a job you hate because people have discouraged you to do what you want. I say go for it. Take the extra science classes and hook up with a good tutor. The only way you don't have a chance is if you just flat out don't try. I've seen people pass through this thread with GPAs in the 1.0s and eventually make it. Most dental schools have an average gpa of 3.5. So that means there are people with higher and lower. Plus you haven't even finished yet. The next science classes you take make sure you utilize tutoring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can relate to how you are feeling at this moment, having family members putting you down is the worst feeling; but I want to also tell you that you can use their words against them by doing the best that you can to show them what they thought of you isn't true. Analyze your study habits, make changes where it's needed, and don't focus on their comments as they are too negative to even think about. They know that you can do good, sometimes people just want to make you feel miserable just because their life isn't what they would like it to be. I am the black sheep (dog) of my family, but I use that to my advantage I challenge myself to prove everyone wrong. Keep your head up. If you decide that you want to go into dentistry I would suggest that you spend a vast amount of time preparing for the DAT because scoring high will help a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Dentistry is what I have always been wanting to do before setting foot to college. I just feel in my heart that this is what Im meant to do. Pharmacy is a great field but I don't feel it's the right career for me. I've been constantly been smacked in the face with so much negativity from my brothers. I want to give DAT a shot and see how I do on it, but it's really hard to keep myself motivated and feel confident about myself to move forward with my decision when I have no support from my family. Your words are motivating me. Thank you for ur uplifting words.

I can relate to how you are feeling at this moment, having family members putting you down is the worst feeling; but I want to also tell you that you can use their words against them by doing the best that you can to show them what they thought of you isn't true. Analyze your study habits, make changes where it's needed, and don't focus on their comments as they are too negative to even think about. They know that you can do good, sometimes people just want to make you feel miserable just because their life isn't what they would like it to be. I am the black sheep (dog) of my family, but I use that to my advantage I challenge myself to prove everyone wrong. Keep your head up. If you decide that you want to go into dentistry I would suggest that you spend a vast amount of time preparing for the DAT because scoring high will help a lot.

I have finally made my decision to go with dentistry. I have this semester and two more semesters to really do well and improve my grades. Do you think if I work hard my last three semesters and make A's in my science classes I will have a shot? Should I take the DAT this summer? i am keeping my head high and will not let the constant negativity get to me because I know people will do it to keep moving me from moving forward. It's a battle with my family, at the moment all i want now is confidence in myself and motivation.

for the longest time i have been very depressed about everything, but your quote and encouraging words have been making me feel better.

Dentistry and pharmacy are on opposite ends of the spectrum. It's really one or the other. I'd say go with what your heart feels. Your grades can be improved. That's a lot easier than working a job you hate because people have discouraged you to do what you want. I say go for it. Take the extra science classes and hook up with a good tutor. The only way you don't have a chance is if you just flat out don't try. I've seen people pass through this thread with GPAs in the 1.0s and eventually make it. Most dental schools have an average gpa of 3.5. So that means there are people with higher and lower. Plus you haven't even finished yet. The next science classes you take make sure you utilize tutoring.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Dentistry is what I have always been wanting to do before setting foot to college. I just feel in my heart that this is what Im meant to do. Pharmacy is a great field but I don't feel it's the right career for me. I've been constantly been smacked in the face with so much negativity from my brothers. I want to give DAT a shot and see how I do on it, but it's really hard to keep myself motivated and feel confident about myself to move forward with my decision when I have no support from my family. Your words are motivating me. Thank you for ur uplifting words.
No problem. Let me know how I can help with the DAT, from my experience you need to have good discipline with staying on schedule when studying for it. Start from scratch by reading Kaplan, I was able to re-learn basic gen and orgo CHEM, and biology. PAT you pretty much have to teach yourself that by doing practices, I used bootcamp for that, math was the part that I never really spent too much time preparing for, but you need to use and get as many resources possible. I woke up at 4 in the morning to study each day for 4 months, and I studied for 8 hours per day, I couldn't do more because I worked and shadowed at the same time. You can do it, it's challenging, but put your heart to it and you will do well. Take some upper sciences courses too, that can help with your GPA.

a 3.5 overall gpa is fine but your 3.1 science gpa is too low. You need to get a 21+ AA on your DAT and make up for your 3.1 science gpa by getting above a 20 on the TS as well.
I recommend studying for 3 months 12-14 hours a day for your DAT and only take it when you feel 100% ready. If you still cannot get in after getting a strong DAT score
you should do a postbac or masters to improve your GPA and the reapply.

No problem. Let me know how I can help with the DAT, from my experience you need to have good discipline with staying on schedule when studying for it. Start from scratch by reading Kaplan, I was able to re-learn basic gen and orgo CHEM, and biology. PAT you pretty much have to teach yourself that by doing practices, I used bootcamp for that, math was the part that I never really spent too much time preparing for, but you need to use and get as many resources possible. I woke up at 4 in the morning to study each day for 4 months, and I studied for 8 hours per day, I couldn't do more because I worked and shadowed at the same time. You can do it, it's challenging, but put your heart to it and you will do well. Take some upper sciences courses too, that can help with your GPA.

Yes, I would really like to started on the DAT studying because I know it's a lot harder than the pcat. I have already taken most of the prereqs, i just have biochem and microbiology left. I am also going to plan on taking more upper level classes my last two semesters such as anatomy and physiology, embryology, etc.

I have 100 hours of volunteering but have no shadowing hours. Pls help guide me on what i need to do next.

I have finally made my decision to go with dentistry. I have this semester and two more semesters to really do well and improve my grades. Do you think if I work hard my last three semesters and make A's in my science classes I will have a shot? Should I take the DAT this summer? i am keeping my head high and will not let the constant negativity get to me because I know people will do it to keep moving me from moving forward. It's a battle with my family, at the moment all i want now is confidence in myself and motivation.

for the longest time i have been very depressed about everything, but your quote and encouraging words have been making me feel better.
[/QUOTE]
Please remember to take the DAT only when you feel ready, it's costly enough to take once, taking it more than once can break the bank. And when studying, don't rush through the information just have certain amount of studying hours, if you don't understand something go over it until it's clear to you. Practice the PAT daily it's important to do so. And the most and first important thing, stay positive, that helps you to focus more. I wish you well. I look forward to reading about some great news from you.

My science gpa is only slightly higher and your ogpa is higher than mine. I would describe my app and PS as average and I have received interviews-while not acceptances, they do indicate that a 3.1ish sgpa is not a complete deal breaker. I have colleagues in similar gpa situations and they have received acceptances this cycle. Get a 22+ on your DAT and schools will at the very least, give the rest of your app a chance.

Yes, I would really like to started on the DAT studying because I know it's a lot harder than the pcat. I have already taken most of the prereqs, i just have biochem and microbiology left. I am also going to plan on taking more upper level classes my last two semesters such as anatomy and physiology, embryology, etc.

I have 100 hours of volunteering but have no shadowing hours. Pls help guide me on what i need to do next.
Schools look at shadowing experiences too, also if the doctor that you shadow provides a great letter of recommendation that helps a lot. It also helps you to know whether you are really into the field itself. Start looking for a dentist to shadow, I suggest that you walk in because when you call most offices will tell you that they don't need students to shadow them, when you go to the offices bring a copy of your resume to leave with them. If you're a minority, make sure you look for a place that focus on the needy to help. I volunteer at a homeless shelter, and I love to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My science gpa is only slightly higher and your ogpa is higher than mine. I would describe my app and PS as average and I have received interviews-while not acceptances, they do indicate that a 3.1ish sgpa is not a complete deal breaker. I have colleagues in similar gpa situations and they have received acceptances this cycle. Get a 22+ on your DAT and schools will at the very least, give the rest of your app a chance.

I think at this point , I might still have shot as I have three semesters and the DAT left. Could you advise me on how to prepare well for the DAT. I am average student and not smart at all. I know I know that it takes me longer time than most students to grasp the concepts. do u have any study materials or what study materials do u recommend? will August be too late to take the DAT ?

I had a 3.5 overall GPA and a 3.1 science GPA. Got a 19 TS and a 20AA. Received 3 acceptances.

Out of 3,000 apps only 900 of them have the requirements.

Not necessarily true. The average DAT score for a test taker is 18 yet the avg for admitted applicants is in the 19 range. That shows that most applicants probably are in range. Dont fool yourself the application pool has a plethora of qualified applicants, you have to guess that over 1500 of them have adequate GPA. When I spoke to an admissions counselor they told me that almost 60% was qualified but that didnt mean they were what the school was looking for.

Don't give up. Your numbers are similar to mine; my ogpa is lower my sgpa is a tiny bit higher. You're a first generation college student so that will look good for you. I'm technically a first generation student in America because my parents aren't from here but my parents were fairly educated. I was given a good life that I am very grateful for and I still haven't capitalized on my upbringing as much as I could have. I don't think I would've done as well in your situation. Without last semester I'd feel completely screwed. It's definitely better to have a surge at the end than nothing at all. I'm gonna apply with a 3.5 ogpa 3.4 sgpa at best. My DAT is mediocre and needs a retake too so we all share in the struggle.

Don't let somebody tell you that you can't do something. Not even yourself. If you truly want to do dentistry then go for it, just change your mentality it will make a world of difference. Being smart isn't a part of genetics, just because your whole family isn't "smart" that doesn't mean you aren't smart. In fact, no is really smart there are people who just work hard and make it look like they are smart. A 3.5 GPA is stellar, just keep working hard, there's plenty of room in dental schools for someone like you!

You are blaming your brothers for your shortcomings. If you need to find the real culprit, all you need to do is look in the nearest mirror you can find. Having 2000 applicants for 80 available seats is a meaningless statistic since dental applicants, on the average, apply to 10 schools.

That is just so unacceptable for family members to bring you down like that. Family is always supposed to bring you up. It is obvious that they are jealous that you might achieve more in life than them. I have read countless posts on SDN and have seen so many people with your scores achieve a seat in dental school. This is the time in your life to use their words as fuel to burn your fire to succeed. You should be quite the opposite of a all time low in your life, in fact, you should be so proud that you achieved a 3.1 science at your university. Science courses are not easy and I have witnessed hundreds of kids switching their major after failing their first chemistry class. The first step is to continue doing well in your classes and begin to study for the DAT. I recommend buying the orgoman DAT book that includes hundreds of questions in biology, inorganic chemistry and general chemistry. This book gave me a very strong background in all of those sections. Grind around 100 questions a day for a month and you will kill the DAT. On top of that you should get a subscription to DAT bootcamp, they are very good at providing real life practice tests. I think bootcamp helped me the most with the PAT section because of their tutorials and the ability to work on the sections you struggle most on. Continuing on with preparing for this application cycle. You must become tight with a general dentist so he will write you a solid letter of recommendation. This is achievable if you start asking for shadowing experiences now. If you have any other questions I am glad to help. I am currently a late applicant battling for a seat this cycle. I love dentistry and I will reapply as many times as it takes to get a seat. If I do not get in I will call the schools I wish to attend and ask their admissions office exactly what I need to do to strengthen my application. It is hard being in this position but it is also very fun if you look at it in the right way. Honestly forget what your so called brothers say about you not being smart enough and watch a few motivational videos while preparing for the DAT. You will become a dentist if you want to. I promise.

Not necessarily true. The average DAT score for a test taker is 18 yet the avg for admitted applicants is in the 19 range. That shows that most applicants probably are in range. Dont fool yourself the application pool has a plethora of qualified applicants, you have to guess that over 1500 of them have adequate GPA. When I spoke to an admissions counselor they told me that almost 60% was qualified but that didnt mean they were what the school was looking for.
I didn't just pull that out of my butt. If you watch the UCDavis admissions board meeting on youtube, one of the adcoms stated that out of all the apps only a fraction of the made it past the trash because of directions not being followed.

Out of 3,000 apps only 900 of them have the requirements.

not really. Do you think with 180$ (primary + secondary) 2100 people will waste this money to apply if they dont have enough requirements required by the schools that are printed in fine lines online and easily accessible to any predents.

I would guestimate that around 400-500 people will try to shot gon while 2500 apps will have enough requirements, just the quality of the apps differ.

I didn't just pull that out of my butt. If you watch the UCDavis admissions board meeting on youtube, one of the adcoms stated that out of all the apps only a fraction of the made it past the trash because of directions not being followed.

UC Davis doesnt even have a dental school so thats probably misinformation. Call one of the dental schools up instead of listening to them.

not really. Do you think with 180$ (primary + secondary) 2100 people will waste this money to apply if they dont have enough requirements required by the schools that are printed in fine lines online and easily accessible to any predents.

I would guestimate that around 400-500 people will try to shot gon while 2500 apps will have enough requirements, just the quality of the apps differ.

Totally agree. 2100 people arent throwing away almost $200

And Nova will be one of these if you do not have a 3.25 BCP then you are 99% rejected or over a 20 AA on the DAT... they mail out tons of rejections without looking at apps so if there is a school like that then waste your money on them because they will cash your check and the next day snail mail the rejection. To them you dont follow directions because they make a recommendation of GPA & DAT to apply

UC Davis doesnt even have a dental school so thats probably misinformation. Call one of the dental schools up instead of listening to them.

They had a prehealth conference. You can watch them for yourselves.

They had a prehealth conference. You can watch them for yourselves.

Yeah I saw that before. It was an exaggeration. They even mention people hand writing the apps. I think those instances are probably rare.. like 1% of all people.

Point is a 3.1 doesn't throw you out of the game. Even in this competitive career path.

Point is a 3.1 doesn't throw you out of the game. Even in this competitive career path.

It will at many schools including some of the ones in that video, especially UoP. They will need to see a high DAT to buff out that 3.1 . If you watch the video each one of those schools is different. Penn and UoP require high DATs (21+) and a 3.1 GPA will not cut it there. However, Western *might* take a look.

OP apply broadly. When you want something bad enough you may have to go the extra mile to get it. Be prepared to put in an extra year to boost your gpa in case you don't get in by graduation. Good luck.