Not finishing masters degree before vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

startingtopanic123

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I hope this is an okay question to ask here.
So two years ago I started my masters degree (thesis based) and I was fully on track to finish this spring, up until the pandemic hit. My lab was shut down for ~7 months due to the pandemic and even now that I’m allowed to go in it is slower going because many of the people that would have been around to help with experiments are not. I have all my coursework requirements for the degree completed but between pandemic and normal science hiccups it’s starting to look like I’m going to be hard pressed to be able to have a first author publication by this summer.

I was able to get into vet school this cycle (woo hoo!), but with that starting this fall I am beginning to get anxious about being able to finish my masters in time.

I’m going to give it my all and hope that the science shakes out, but will it look bad if I’m unable to finish in time? Is it possible for the vet school to revoke my admission if I don’t finish by this fall? Has anyone been through/ is going through a similar situation?
 
Hi all, I hope this is an okay question to ask here.
So two years ago I started my masters degree (thesis based) and I was fully on track to finish this spring, up until the pandemic hit. My lab was shut down for ~7 months due to the pandemic and even now that I’m allowed to go in it is slower going because many of the people that would have been around to help with experiments are not. I have all my coursework requirements for the degree completed but between pandemic and normal science hiccups it’s starting to look like I’m going to be hard pressed to be able to have a first author publication by this summer.

I was able to get into vet school this cycle (woo hoo!), but with that starting this fall I am beginning to get anxious about being able to finish my masters in time.

I’m going to give it my all and hope that the science shakes out, but will it look bad if I’m unable to finish in time? Is it possible for the vet school to revoke my admission if I don’t finish by this fall? Has anyone been through/ is going through a similar situation?
I am in a similar boat, but I haven't heard back from my interviews yet. I highly doubt that any school would or could revoke acceptances because obtaining a Master's is not a requirement for vet programs. Also, you were accepted without having completed it, so I really doubt that that would be something that costs you your acceptance. If you're feeling anxious about it though, I would totally reach out to Admissions for some reassurance. Just because you may not be able to finish, it does not invalidate all the hard work you've already put in!

Btw CONGRATS on your acceptance! Where will you be going?