Not happy with fellowship program- need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelogicalsong

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG and matched last year into pedi cardiology. I had a very good application (i think) and a strong research background. I went to 12 interviews (4 of them were prestigious and a reach for me so I did not expect anything from them). Interviews went well, got the usual response during and after the interviews (you have a good application, you will be a good fit, you will do well ..etc). I was surprised on match day that I matched to the last program in my rank list, a program I was considering not ranking at all. I moved on with my life and promised myself to work hard and do my best.

Now 9 months into fellowship, I see no light at the end of the tunnel. The volume is very low, the department has some internal issues that I don't anticipate that they will get fixed in the near future. The educational activities are not helpful most of the time. There is no mentorship what so ever. The research is very weak and the faculty are not active on this department. Even sometimes when I feel the faculty are trying to teach the fellows something, the volume and the whole system just does not help. I remember seeing similar programs during my interview trail, I mean there is like 15-20 programs that excel in cardiology training around the country but the rest share similar characteristics (low volume, nothing special about the program) and that is the reason that makes re-thinking the idea of leaving this program (which I have no idea on how do it) and going to probably a similar program.

Fellows from this program had no issues getting jobs, very few went into advanced fellowships (which my plan is), and again, they went into advanced fellowships in small programs. Sometimes I say to my self just work hard, get the best of these three years and maybe get a position in a good program for advanced fellowship, but I feel this will be really hard to do. You can't learn and do stuff if the volume is very low and the teaching is not the best.

I really appreciate any advice from senior attendings on the forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm afraid the best path is to just work through it and stay where you are. Unless there is a chance opening at a top program it's hard to move. However, I would encourage you to use this time at a less strong program to do two things. 1) Find a research niche whether it's lab based on more outcomes/clinical based and along with that look for a clinical niche that you can really become expert on via reading and conferences as well as your current location. Get yourself set up for success at the next phase whether it's a 4th year elsewhere or an attending job as best you can. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the above. As an alternative... and as a last resort mind you... you can cause havoc in the program via an ACGME survey. I'm not suggesting you do this strictly for be unhappy and a poor fit... but if you feel the program is truly not fit to be accredited... period.

As a caveat, I will say that a fellow did this to our program who was unhappy for various reasons and while we got reprimanded from the ACGME, the fellow did not get their desired goals. I supposed we learned a lesson but so did the fellow.

All that being said, if there is light at the end of the tunnel... just bare through.

Reactions: 1 user