Not in school and jobless while applying WAMC

Started by doglova
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doglova

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi friends,
I applied last cycle and didnt get accepted. Doing some reflection, I had a job with a somewhat toxic environment which involved working 12-16 hours a day, including weekends, and just didn’t have enough bandwidth/ self esteem to put together a decent app.

My gap year job contract is expiring at the end of the year which means if I don’t renew I’ll likely be jobless next year and covid might make it difficult to find a new job. I was wondering how bad it would look if hypothetically I was applying and I neither had a job nor was I in school. Money isn’t an issue at this time and I could use a break. What excuses would be decent if adcoms happen to ask? How likely is it that adcoms will notice. @Goro @Faha @whoever else
 
Last edited:
I applied last cycle and didnt get accepted. Doing some reflection, I had a job with a somewhat toxic environment which involved working 12-16 hours a day, including weekends, and just didn’t have enough bandwidth/ self esteem to put together a decent app.

My gap year job contract is expiring at the end of the year which means if I don’t renew I’ll likely be jobless next year and covid might make it difficult to find a new job. I was wondering how bad it would look if hypothetically I was applying and I neither had a job nor was I in school. Money isn’t an issue at this time and I could use a break. What excuses would be decent if adcoms happen to ask? How likely is it that adcoms will notice. @Goro @Faha @whoever else
Good luck in your job search. Unlike the traditional hiring process, I don't think it matters in med school admissions if you are between jobs when you submit an application.
 
I'm currently applying not in school, unemployed and schools haven't blinked an eye--some even seem to like what I'm doing since it's unique. They do ask "What are you doing right now" and you'll want a decent answer. I was able to tie my nonacademic/nonmedical hobbies into how I could better connect to patients, so you can get creative with what your gap year activities mean to you and your future.