Not looking so good...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vuong2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in college atm. I just finished the fall semester. I haven't been acing my science/math courses. For example, I've had B-'s in goth gen chem, a B+ in ochem, a B+ in bio 1, and B's in both calculus's. Because of that my GPA is hurting and I'm only a sophomore. Getting a B+ in bio this sem is really lame because it was supposed to be the "easy" class.

I want to apply to dental schools as well as pharmacy schools. I'm looking into physician assistance, but I have no clue how that path goes. Will B's REALLY hurt my chances for any of these career paths?

Members don't see this ad.

The truth is that you're not doing so badly. Even for dental schools, having a low 3 something GPA will still give you a good chance to get into the easier dental schools. And if you do well on your DATs than it really isn't such a big deal at all! As long as you avoid C's and C+'s and manage to get a few A's every now and then, B's and B+'s shouldn't be such a big problem (although, again, doing well on your DATs will definitely help your chances!)

And keep your chin up! you're still only a sophomore with plenty of time to improve your studying habits and your GPA.

I'd say you need to get more A's to give yourself a really good shot. While B's aren't a bad thing here and there, you'll need some A's to bring up your science GPA. Every school will have cut-offs that they will look for as far as DAT scores and GPA are concerned. Then they'll look deeper into your application to find other interesting things that make you stand out. It's also important to remember that if these classes are taken at a community college or a lower end university they will consider that too. You still have time and if you really want it bad enough you'll make it happen. Good luck!

Do what you gotta do to get a few A's. Believe it or not, it takes quite a devotion in some classes to turn B's into A's. The way I look at it, a decently average gpa (around 3.5 like I had) won't get you into dental school, but it'll give you a shot. Competitions getting harder, but just gotta strive to be in the top percents in your classes to get those A's!