not quite 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinpredent

UCLA School of Dentistry
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

bruinpredent said:
i'm a bit worried about my standing and my chances at having a shot at dental school. i'm currently sitting on a 3.1 biochem gpa, planning on taking the DAT soon and i have my fair share of extra ciricular and research including 80+ hours of volunteering. I wont be applying till next spring, however, and i'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to anything that could help my case. I know there are probably a ton of these types of posts, but i'd appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks!

Oh and does anyone know the average GPAs of USC, UOP, Loma Linda, Baylor, or NYU or what sort of things they look for specifically?
The DAT is they great equalizer, it has the power to take a person with no shot and give them the sure shot. Also over the course the next year get As in all you classes.
WHen a candidate has a low GPA the ADCOMS like to see that steep incline in grades as you reach the end and a high DAT score.

Really kick up your grades.

Start studying for the DAT now. By the time you take it in spring or summer you will be able to do it with your eyes closed and really impress the schools.

80+ hours of volunteering is good, but continue it and don't slack after the application cause dental schools aren't too fond of people who after they submit their application seem to show no further interest in volunteering and doing dental related work. (unless of course $ issues force you to take two jobs doing something else or something like that)

Look for leadership opportunities...not necessarily in dentistry, though that is good if you can find it.

The scores and GPAs vary and change each year. last time I looked UOP and USC and Loma Linda were all pretty similar...

Average GPAs around 3.2-3.5 (science usually higher than general)
DATs around 20-22

NYU scores are slightly lower for DAT and I don't know about Baylor.

My opinion isn't worth a whole lot to most people but me, but here is what I've gathered.

USC likes people who show an interest in research and scientific dentistry. They are a research school and Dr. Shuler has this fear that dentistry will go the way of the optometry profession and become less medical research science and more skill/trade craaftwork. USC also has a strong history of outreach clinics and looks for applicants who share a similar desire to do outreach in the community...again, desire to do work in the community does not have to be dental limited.

Loma Linda is big on outreach too. They are 7th day avengelists also, so being reliqious is a plus. Having a religious leader (a pastor maybe) write you a letter of req is definitely not unheard of at this school. They seem to care a lot about who you are as a morally developed person...or at least make it more known that this is an issue for them.

UOP is really big on looking at your DAT as the equalizer. They get over 3000 applicants each year now, so they can be pretty selective on the numbers. There is almost an expectation that you have done other stuff, like shown leadership skills and community outreach. They like leaders...they are very proud of the fact that many of their alumni have gone on to become presidents of the CDA and ADA. If you get an interview, you aren't expected to come defend yourself and claw through the other applicants about how you are the best. Interviews are very relaxed (walks around SF with admissions officers, laid back conversations at times). If you get an interview, what they want to find out isn't how you answer a bunch of ethical dilemma questions, they want to see if you have the kind of personality that suits their school, thus the more relaxed interview. They are a 3 year school and like people who push themselves, don't sit on their laurels, and like to be challenged and can handle that challenge.

All schools look for applicants in interviews who seem to genuinely want to go to their school, i.e. have lots of questions and know a lot about the school. It's a good idea to look at the mission statements of the various schools and all the other stuff on the website. Learn it inside and out and then, figure out what schools will suit you.