Not quite sure which programs to apply to...please HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STurner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I eventually would like to counsel people with eating disorders, cancer, AIDS,etc... along the lines of health psychology. I do not have the grades (or Money) to go into a doctoral program at this time so I was going to apply to Mental Health Counseling programs for my MS.

Now I am being told I should apply to Social Work Programs to get my MSW because I will be allowed to do more with it....

i am so confused, does anyone have an answer for me?

Thanks,
Shannon

Members don't see this ad.

i forgot to mention that my intention is to eventually get my PsyD because i am more interested in counseling rather then research

Shannon, tons of threads, do a search for more info...

basically, the degree that will allow you to do the most depends upon what you want to do

I have an MSW and I'm still seeking further study

so this really isn't a question any one else can answer for you b/c it's so dependent upon your local market and your individual needs/skills

the msw allows you to independently practice once you are fully licensed... a lot of states wont' allow the same privilage to other masters level clinicians (so they must remain supervised...)

it's complicated depending on the state... and the different licenses and honestly, it's changing now that there are some new federal policies in the books for increased insurance coverage of mental health needs

good luckw ith your decision