Not Showing Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I took the Aug 4 mcat exam and will be getting my scores back tomorrow. I had signed up for the Sept 9 exam just in case but I don't plan on taking it anymore. I wasn't able to study much for it and would rather take it in January if necessary.

I missed the cancellation deadline though. Do I just not show up to the test site? Or did I have to formally cancel? Do I have to go there and void? My test site is 2 hours away and so I don't want to go unless I have to.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I don't think you need to necessary show up to the test center to void. If you want your money worth and take this test as a practice test, then go to the center and void it later. But if you think it is too long of a drive and think it was not worth it, then don't show up. I think they will automatically note you as absence. I hope this helps.

Eh, even if you don't plan on going, I would still give the testing center people a call and just let them know not to expect you. Some testing centers use assigned seating, multiple rooms, or whatever, and it may help them out to know they shouldn't expect you. Just to be courteous.

Eh, even if you don't plan on going, I would still give the testing center people a call and just let them know not to expect you. Some testing centers use assigned seating, multiple rooms, or whatever, and it may help them out to know they shouldn't expect you. Just to be courteous.

This.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've paid for it, why don't you use it as an extra practice test and void. So long as you know u're going to void, you should have a calm demeanor during the entire thing. Or call them and let them know you won't show up.

If you've paid for it, why don't you use it as an extra practice test and void. So long as you know u're going to void, you should have a calm demeanor during the entire thing. Or call them and let them know you won't show up.

Having a calmer demeanor than on a graded test doesn't help much as practice. The test conditions aren't being replicated.

Frankly, I don't see the harm in taking it as a graded test, unless you think you're going to get lower than a 26 on it. For many schools, if you can get a high score as the most recent one, they can accept that you are more qualified than you were.

Hey I don't think you need to necessary show up to the test center to void. If you want your money worth and take this test as a practice test, then go to the center and void it later. But if you think it is too long of a drive and think it was not worth it, then don't show up. I think they will automatically note you as absence. I hope this helps.
I also think so.

I called AAMC to make sure. Just for future reference, there is no need to call for a cancellation apparently. Not showing up is an automatic cancellation and med schools do not see any record of the exam.