not so competetive postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farrah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 30 mcat and sub 3.0 science gpa. a lot of the postbacc programs seem to be extremely competitive and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent postbacc programs that someone with a sub 3.0 science gpa could get into. I'm around 2.4ish...........Is 2 years of postbacc with a high gpa enough to apply to med school? Should I retake the mcat? I took one upper level science class that i failed and was wondering if I should repeat it - even if it's not required..And I got a D+ in one prereq so should I repeat that too?

And are there any good postbaccs on the west coast?

Members don't see this ad.

Farrah said:
I have a 30 mcat and sub 3.0 science gpa. a lot of the postbacc programs seem to be extremely competitive and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent postbacc programs that someone with a sub 3.0 science gpa could get into. I'm around 2.4ish...........Is 2 years of postbacc with a high gpa enough to apply to med school? Should I retake the mcat? I took one upper level science class that i failed and was wondering if I should repeat it - even if it's not required..And I got a D+ in one prereq so should I repeat that too?

And are there any good postbaccs on the west coast?

I wouldn't retake the MCAT with a 30, (although at some point you may have to as it may expire before you are ready to apply), but you likely need to get your science GPA up significantly to give you a realistic shot. You absolutely should retake the prereq you got a D in. With your GPA, I think your best bet for allopathic admission is to do a postbac (perhaps informal rather than structured) to get the GPA up, and then enroll in a special masters or hard science masters program. Then, if your MCAT has expired you will want to retake it and try and match or beat your 30 again. It will take time, but it's likely doable if its something you truly want.