Not so tough now, are ya?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Called for 22y.o. Hispanic male shot multiple times. Arrive to find him conscious/alert, GCS 15, shot with a .38 in the RLQ, LLQ, medial R thigh, lateral L thigh, and back, dead center on L3. BP 86/44, P124, RR 24, SpO2 94 on room air. A few large bores brought his pressure up to 100/64, P96-100, RR 20, SpO2 100 with 15L.

Talking tough the whole time, of course. Flashed his gang signs a few dozen times despite my sternest warning that if someone so much as throws a bottle at me when they're aiming for him, I'll leave him in the middle of the street. To his credit, he didn't break down in the ambulance like most of his contemporaries do. Didn't ask for his mommy once. Nope, he was a real badass. Even lectured me about how I don't know what it's like, I'm not tough like he is, how I "ain't never been shot," etc. You're right, chief; so far, I've been smart enough not to get myself shot.

I bet his life as a thug meant a lot when he died on the table in the OR half an hour later. *sigh*

Members don't see this ad.

reminds me of a gentleman I picked up a few years ago... turns out he got released from prison (after serving 7yrs for a misc. violent crime) a few days prior to our meeting him. The cousin of the guy our pt. had done somthin bad to 7yrs ago got wind of dude getting released-decided to seek revenge. This thug #2 rand our pt's doorbell and shot him 5 times at close range w/ 9mm. One in the upper left chest, one straight through xyphoid, one in right side of chest and one in the wrist and ankle. Pt remainded concious enough enroute to explain to officers that thug #2 was, "...some random white guy..."
Pt eneded up recovering following a four month coma, and decided to amend his statements to accurately name the shooter.
I dunno if it was street bravado or lack of oxygenated blood reaching his brain, but either way he was one tough muthafuc**. The only time he even complained of any pain was when I accidently grabbed the wrist that was shattered by one of the shots, as I moved him to the LBB. No tears, no complaints... he's a better man than I evidently.
Altogether, he was one of the nicer pt's I've had...

Called for 22y.o. Hispanic male shot multiple times. Arrive to find him conscious/alert, GCS 15, shot with a .38 in the RLQ, LLQ, medial R thigh, lateral L thigh, and back, dead center on L3. BP 86/44, P124, RR 24, SpO2 94 on room air. A few large bores brought his pressure up to 100/64, P96-100, RR 20, SpO2 100 with 15L.

Talking tough the whole time, of course. Flashed his gang signs a few dozen times despite my sternest warning that if someone so much as throws a bottle at me when they're aiming for him, I'll leave him in the middle of the street. To his credit, he didn't break down in the ambulance like most of his contemporaries do. Didn't ask for his mommy once. Nope, he was a real badass. Even lectured me about how I don't know what it's like, I'm not tough like he is, how I "ain't never been shot," etc. You're right, chief; so far, I've been smart enough not to get myself shot.

I bet his life as a thug meant a lot when he died on the table in the OR half an hour later. *sigh*

Sounds like he contributed a lot to this world. Such as a little extra oxygen for people who might actually be worth a damn by dying and therefore not wasting anymore oxygen himself.

Members don't see this ad :)

The "big, bad bangers" always fall the hardest. They should all take lessons from the little old ladies who are tough as nails and know what both pain and life are.

Too bad he won't be around any longer to contribute to society.:thumbdown:

Natural selection is a wonderful thing.;)

I'm not tough like he is, how I "ain't never been shot," etc.

My normal response to the latter was "Wanna bet? Chances are I've been hit with a bigger round than you have." When I used to work outside of DC I made this comment to someone who later saw me coming out of a gas station. He came up and goes "Lets see where they capped you". So I lifted my shirt up and show him the scar. "What they shoot you with man?" The look on his face was priceless when I told him a rifle. He walked off muttering something about "tough ass white boy" to one of his buddies.

Payback is a bitch, kind of like my daughter's maternal grandmother.