Not sure if I understand what post-bacc really means.. Please help me out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeon Shen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'll graduate next summer with BS in management information systems and a minor (actually about 18 credits short of major) in computer science.

I love what I'm studying, but after reading about post-bacc programs it seems that I can change my career path completely by spending an extra 1-2 years in school.

So... that being said, is it true that a post-bacc program can allow someone like me who has a limited science background to complete the prerequisites for the MCAT and finally apply to medical school upon completion of said program?

For instance, would someone like me who last heard terms like heterocyst in honors biology and phenolphthalein [FONT=geneva,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE].[/SIZE].in AP chemistry (eww high school!) be able to perform a figurative 180 and someday become a doctor?

I volunteered 277+ hours at my local hospital because I loved the hustle and bustle of the whole place! I also like helping people, but man actually saving someone's life using my own hands is so much more gratifying than donating a portion of my pay check to help feed the poor.

Before I squeal like a little kid again, please tell me whether a post-bacc program will actually allow me to become a doctor. I know its not easy but then again, the best things in life aren't easy to come by!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I'll graduate next summer with BS in management information systems and a minor (actually about 18 credits short of major) in computer science.

I love what I'm studying, but after reading about post-bacc programs it seems that I can change my career path completely by spending an extra 1-2 years in school.

So... that being said, is it true that a post-bacc program can allow someone like me who has a limited science background to complete the prerequisites for the MCAT and finally apply to medical school upon completion of said program?

For instance, would someone like me who last heard terms like heterocyst in honors biology and phenolphthalein in AP chemistry (eww high school!) be able to perform a figurative 180 and someday become a doctor?

I volunteered 277+ hours at my local hospital because I loved the hustle and bustle of the whole place! I also like helping people, but man actually saving someone's life using my own hands is so much more gratifying than donating a portion of my pay check to help feed the poor.

Before I squeal like a little kid again, please tell me whether a post-bacc program will actually allow me to become a doctor. I know its not easy but then again, the best things in life aren't easy to come by!

I was an MIS/Finance double major. Worked at a pretty high speed job for 2 years before heavy soul searching commenced. It's totally possible. Read, research, then ask questions. Many like you (and us) have made the transition.

Awesome!

So does that mean that my preconception about post-bacc programs was correct?

Also, going the MIS route was totally worth it. Everyone gives it poor remarks but honestly, combining it with finance (I took a few finance courses on the side, along with economics) and/or computer science just makes you a powerful contender in the job market.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go DIRECTLY to post-bacc/SMP, you're going to have to make a compelling case/story about why the switch from IS to Medicine.

(just playing devils advocate is all,not trying to be discouraging)

Thanks for the reply, but would you kindly explain what you mean?

What do you mean by "directly to post-bacc/SMP"?

Can't I just apply to a post-bacc program upon graduating with my BS next year?

That's what I mean; if you just have the summer off between undergrad and entering a program, it's not like you will be bringing perspectives from the proverbial "real world" to the table, nor will you have outside influences swaying you in the direction of pursuing a career in medicine. To this end, you would need to describe something that happened in your life while in undergrad that inspired you so to make this change in career direction. Are you taking a year or two off before doing your post-bac/SMP, or are you going directly into a program after graduation? If the latter, you may want to be somewhat retrospective in your essays in regards to when and why you decided a career change, and why, besides good grades in a post-bac, are you a good fit for med school/medicine.

And If you still have time left in undergrad, I would recommend taking some basic sciences now, to help bolster your argument....that the interest in life sciences / medicine came to you during undergrad, and that you began exploring these disciplines before you graduated.

That's what I mean; if you just have the summer off between undergrad and entering a program, it's not like you will be bringing perspectives from the proverbial "real world" to the table, nor will you have outside influences swaying you in the direction of pursuing a career in medicine. To this end, you would need to describe something that happened in your life while in undergrad that inspired you so to make this change in career direction. Are you taking a year or two off before doing your post-bac/SMP, or are you going directly into a program after graduation? If the latter, you may want to be somewhat retrospective in your essays in regards to when and why you decided a career change, and why, besides good grades in a post-bac, are you a good fit for med school/medicine.

This. It took me two years of work, plus volunteering/observing/classes before I committed to a program.

This. It took me two years of work, plus volunteering/observing/classes before I committed to a program.

Likewise. Not sure if you are supporting or contesting my point, but I too have taken two years between undergrad and starting a masters.

Well, I've been through two surgeries in my life so far. All the doctors I met were really awesome, and I guess the way they carried themselves really inspired me. (I'm not BS'ing btw LOL)

In 9th grade, I shattered my tibia playing basketball. Long story short, I had shattered the top of my tibia and I was under the impression that it was just some knee pain. I played tennis the next day and my ACL just popped off lol...

In my first year of college, I had to undergo appendicitis... that was pretty gruesome because I missed midterms :(

My grandmother wanted to be a doctor when she was younger but she was from a very poor family. I think she'd be really proud of me if I could become a doctor :p

So, the thing is, personal experiences in medicine are good, but, medical schools will want to see you getting out of your comfort zone, and immersing yourself in the clinical setting, through volunteering, shadowing, work, research, etc. the fact that you were exposed to these things through your own health issues earlier in your life, but have no track record of involvement in the field beyond sitting in the hospital as a patient a handful of times, means you cannot use these by themselves as support for your argument as to why you want to be a doctor, and why you are sure this is the right field for you, and what qualities you possess that make you a suitable person for the profession. Yes, seeing things from the side of the table where the patient sits is good, but it's not enough to make a convincing argument that you know what you're getting yourself into. I would like to mention, that I have had a handful of surgeries throughout my life, as well as a litany of ailments and chronic illness amongst my family members; I'm only mentioning one or two illnesses that my two of my family members have had to face, and then going into a narrative of how these inspired me to pursue medicine; then backing the argument of this motivation up with descriptions of my experiences in the hospital helping others with their ailments and emotions, not just my own, and not just my families. You need to get out of your comfort zone, go volunteer somewhere (hospital, nursing home, fire dept) shadow a few doctors, take an EMT course....demonstrate your interest....don't just proclaim it.

I volunteered at my local hospital for 277 hours. I did three hours every Friday for 3 years in high school.

Would that be helpful to mention?

It would be, but medical schools will want to see that you have been involved in this kind of thing more recently than HS.....anything from high school, in lieu of RECENT volunteer/clinical exposure, will be considered a joke, and a feeble attempt to bolster your application.

Likewise. Not sure if you are supporting or contesting my point, but I too have taken two years between undergrad and starting a masters.

Supporting. Sorry if it was unclear.

Last edited: